PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Fly Fishing

bubbles
04-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Well in my last thread my old man gave me some reels and his old tackle box.

I went to his house again on the weekend and he gave me 3 rod's all old but barely used.

i acquired a fly rod think it might be bamboo ??? w/o the reel.

i would like to try fly fishing but need a reel and im not to sure what to get.

the rod it's self doesn't tell me much it says on it D.F.S Cavalier made in japan and MODEL .............. it's blank..

So please help!!! :D

Also if any one is willing to teach me in the calgary region how to fly fish that would be greatly appreciated.

jts1
04-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Send me an email and I will be happy to let ya know when I am headed out. I am sure someone on here will come up with a reel for ya.

bubbles
04-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks Jts1 i don't know the strength of the rod or anything about it... :S

fishpro
04-26-2011, 12:57 AM
I believe Don Anderson is a member of this board. I would get in touch with him about the rod as it may be worth something if it is bamboo.

Also, I have heard that bamboo rods are much more difficult to learn on, so you might almost be better off getting a different rod to begin with.

Gust
04-26-2011, 12:58 AM
maybe ask on this forum, if you read thru they mention the DFS.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/topic/932/t/8-1-2-ft-Phillipson-Powr-Pakt.html

bubbles
04-26-2011, 01:06 AM
maybe ask on this forum, if you read thru they mention the DFS.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/topic/932/t/8-1-2-ft-Phillipson-Powr-Pakt.html

Seems to be a very old forum about 5 years old :S

bubbles
04-26-2011, 01:07 AM
I believe Don Anderson is a member of this board. I would get in touch with him about the rod as it may be worth something if it is bamboo.

Also, I have heard that bamboo rods are much more difficult to learn on, so you might almost be better off getting a different rod to begin with.

How would i contact Don ? im not 100% sure it's bamboo or not. i could up load pictures if that would help ?

bubbles
04-26-2011, 01:29 AM
Sorry for the bad quality...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g404/fishbubbles1/IMG_0536.jpghttp://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g404/fishbubbles1/IMG_0535.jpghttp://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g404/fishbubbles1/IMG_0534.jpghttp://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g404/fishbubbles1/IMG_0533.jpghttp://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g404/fishbubbles1/IMG_0532.jpg

MK2750
04-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Send me an email and I will be happy to let ya know when I am headed out. I am sure someone on here will come up with a reel for ya.

Why don't you just give him the reel you didn't sent to me?

densa44
04-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Look down the furrell, if it is bamboo, you'll be able to see the ends of the bamboo stocks it was made from.

All of the bamboo rods that I have seen are octagonal in cross section.

What you may have there is an old fiberglass rod. Looking down the furrell will tell you that too.

The comment that bamboo is hard to learn with is 100%, I would add, if that is a "glass" rod it will be what is called soft too, thus hard to learn with.

Modern stiffer materials make casting so easy.

Welcome to the club.

IMO I'd spend my $$ on a very good line and a cheap reel if I were fishing trout.

jts1
04-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Why don't you just give him the reel you didn't sent to me?

Pm sent

Dust1n
04-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Look down the furrell, if it is bamboo, you'll be able to see the ends of the bamboo stocks it was made from.

All of the bamboo rods that I have seen are octagonal in cross section.

What you may have there is an old fiberglass rod. Looking down the furrell will tell you that too.

The comment that bamboo is hard to learn with is 100%, I would add, if that is a "glass" rod it will be what is called soft too, thus hard to learn with.

Modern stiffer materials make casting so easy.

Welcome to the club.

IMO I'd spend my $$ on a very good line and a cheap reel if I were fishing trout.
a cheap fly reel? i dont think so....well on the bow at least.
i started to fish the bow with a 7wt 9 foot martien fly rod and a cheap rel with cheap line.
hooked into abrown and my rodsnapped then my line.
the drag was at the lowest to.
hobbs creek for 40 bucks are great reels for your money.

chubbdarter
04-26-2011, 07:18 PM
a cheap fly reel? i dont think so....well on the bow at least.
i started to fish the bow with a 7wt 9 foot martien fly rod and a cheap rel with cheap line.
hooked into abrown and my rodsnapped then my line.
the drag was at the lowest to.
hobbs creek for 40 bucks are great reels for your money.

40 is cheap for a reel

Dust1n
04-26-2011, 07:45 PM
for me thats a high end reel.
cheap for me is 15 bucks from wallmart or the candian tire
caddis creek.
i only got one expensive fly setup. lamson litespeed on my 5 wt TFO

diamonddave
04-26-2011, 08:18 PM
15 bucks should get you the box that a decent reel comes in. Its not about how flashy your equipment is, but if you are going to spend the money, make it count.

Dust1n
04-26-2011, 08:43 PM
thanks imn kinda chinzy for payng money for reels/and other stuff. id rather spend it on lures.

alacringa
04-26-2011, 08:50 PM
You can get a great reel in the $120-200 range...Amundsen makes really nice reels that go for around $140, and I think Loomis even has one that retails for about $200. Of course, you can spend as much as you like on a reel...some fly reels sell for $700 or $800...WAY out of my price range...but they are very nice reels.

Don't be afraid to shell out a bit for line, either. A good fly line will run about $50-$80, but will last for quite a long time.

densa44
04-27-2011, 12:03 AM
I stand by my advice. There was a time that reels did not cost that much because all they did was hold the backing, the drag was the palm of your hand, and they reeled in 1:1 which wasn't very good. The next improvement that I recall was interchangeable spools and I have a few of those, but that is it.

You can get real bargains at gun shows and some flea markets. I have a very old plueger which still does what it always did as well as it ever did!

If you have some money to spend, put it into the rod then line, last the reel.

The rod and the line do the casting, the reel holds the line, some people still fight fish with their bare hands!

Welcome you'll love it.

Kingfisher
04-27-2011, 01:24 AM
The pictures that you posted are very grainy and hard to see clearly. I will assume that you can tell the difference between wood and a fiberglass or graphite rod. So I will assume your right about the bamboo.

So the DFS stands for Dry Fly Special. The rod itself isn't special except that dad gave it to you. That in itself means that you should hang onto it and use it sometime in the future.

If your serious about learning to fly fish then either go to a fly shop near you and ask them if you can cast a few rods to see what feels good for you. For a first rod stick to something like a TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters) in a 6 weight. Or an Amundson also in a 6 weight. 6 wt is a good basic all round rod. There are many wts of rods so don't get confused about them. Just know that a good rod for most lakes or rivers in Alberta would be a 6wt.

PM me and I can give you my email address so you can send me a few pictures directly.

Rob

Bigtoad
04-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Before you choose a reel for the rod, you really will need to figure out what kind of weight rod you're dealing with there. If you're in Calgary, take it to one of the shops and see what they think. Or, like was mentioned, PM Don Anderson and see what he thinks, even if it's not bamboo, he'll probably be able to tell you something.

As for reels, the Amundson or Pflueger (sp?) reels are great reels for the $$$. I picked up a 4wt Pflueger on sale at wholesale for just over $100 and it's awesome! Line makes a big difference as well. Fork over the $$$ for some good Rio gold or even just some Cortland 444 and you should be set.

Cheers.