PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Quantum Spinning reel

buckmasterjr
04-26-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a Quantum Energy PT 10 Spinning Reel and i was reading through the manual and it said you should clean your reel every year. I bought it in August 2010. Any tips on how to clean it? Also sometimes when i turn the handle it makes a clicking sound but only sometimes this happens. Is this because i havent cleaned it yet?

Albertafisher
04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
If there is a clicking, that usually means a loose baring or something significant is loose. I would take it in to get checked out. It probably would probably cost a couple of bucks ($15-$25), but you don't want to wreck the reel from using it while a baring is loose. Just my opinion :)

buckmasterjr
04-26-2011, 06:52 PM
If there is a clicking, that usually means a loose baring or something significant is loose. I would take it in to get checked out. It probably would probably cost a couple of bucks ($15-$25), but you don't want to wreck the reel from using it while a baring is loose. Just my opinion :)

Okay so somewhere like reel doctor?

Albertafisher
04-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Okay so somewhere like reel doctor?

Yep. Great place, they'll fix it so it runs at 100% again :happy0034:

Daceminnow
04-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Once your clicking problem has been resolved. Keep your reels maintained. A couple simple cleanings a year goes a long ways. Q tips and a little soapy water works well. Also as mentioned on another thread recently, always back the drag off your reels when your not using them. I still run many spincast units that are a number of years old and they still function the same as the day they first got wet.

chubbdarter
04-26-2011, 07:51 PM
the ptiA's arent the same construction as the ptiB's

buckmasterjr
04-26-2011, 07:54 PM
the ptiA's arent the same construction as the ptiB's

Woops i forgot to add that it is a PtiB.

chubbdarter
04-26-2011, 07:58 PM
it could be the bearing race then.....lots were returned

buckmasterjr
04-26-2011, 08:47 PM
it could be the bearing race then.....lots were returned

I just cleaned it up. The clicking sound still does it but not as much before i cleaned it

EDIT: I caught lots of fish with it in the summer with the clicking sound so i dont think it is a major problem but should i worry about it?

bobalong
04-26-2011, 09:24 PM
I just cleaned it up. The clicking sound still does it but not as much before i cleaned it

EDIT: I caught lots of fish with it in the summer with the clicking sound so i dont think it is a major problem but should i worry about it?

Just keeping cleaning and rubbing and cleaning until it says Shimano on it, it should work fine then :)

Kokanee9
04-26-2011, 09:32 PM
just keeping cleaning and rubbing and cleaning until it says shimano on it, it should work fine then :)

lol

chubbdarter
04-26-2011, 09:35 PM
remind me tomorrow and i'll get the low down on the b series

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-26-2011, 11:37 PM
I have a Quantum Energy PT 10 Spinning Reel and i was reading through the manual and it said you should clean your reel every year. I bought it in August 2010. Any tips on how to clean it? Also sometimes when i turn the handle it makes a clicking sound but only sometimes this happens. Is this because i havent cleaned it yet?

Take the caseing off , use a Q tip times about 10 or so and some rubbing alcohol , then get your dad to take ya and pick up some Quantum Hot Sauce . Best oil for reels . I clean all my reels every year and adds alot of life to them .

buckmasterjr
04-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Take the caseing off , use a Q tip times about 10 or so and some rubbing alcohol , then get your dad to take ya and pick up some Quantum Hot Sauce . Best oil for reels . I clean all my reels every year and adds alot of life to them .

My dad put new grease in it last night. Whats quantum hot sauce just a grease meant for reels?

04-27-2011, 03:27 PM
My dad put new grease in it last night. Whats quantum hot sauce just a grease meant for reels?

Its red comes in little bottle its probably the best oil , grease out there . Doesnt get all sticky like some of the others .

chubbdarter
04-27-2011, 03:33 PM
the b series problem was/is with their infinite bearing. but it shouldnt be causing a clicking sound.
p.s. for all you quantum fans...you'll love next year

buckmasterjr
04-27-2011, 03:37 PM
the b series problem was/is with their infinite bearing. but it shouldnt be causing a clicking sound.

What do you mean?

04-27-2011, 03:39 PM
What do you mean?

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3846883&enlargeSkuz=21551&PRODUCTSEARCH= heres the stuff right here .

Jiffy10
04-30-2011, 01:08 PM
There's a bunch of You Tube's showing how to clean a reels.

There is a good variety an they are quite thorough......

buckmasterjr
04-30-2011, 03:16 PM

I think i figured out the problem. I was looking at it today and i turned the handle and it was clicking again. I took the spool off and turned it again. The clicking got louder. I took off the bail assembly and it was still really loud. I took off the retainer ring, the clutch retainer ball bearing and the clutch unit. the clicking stopped so i put it back together. I turned the handle and it was louder than before and now it does it all the time so i think it is the clutch unit.

walleyeca
07-06-2011, 01:50 PM
OK INSIDE WHERE YOU ARE YOULL SEE A BUNCH OF CYLINDER BEARING STANDING ON END! THE MIDDLE PIECE SLIDES OUT OF THE MIDDLE, nOW TAKE THAT OUT AND CHECK FOR SCRATCHES AND WEAR POINTS IF YOU HAVE SOME GREEN PT SCRUBBING PADS HOLD THE BEARING BUSHING IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND AND TRY AND POLISH OUT AS MUCH OF THAT INDENTATION AS POSSIBLE RE INSERT(WITH NO OIL FOR NOW) REASSMBLE AND TRY IF STILL LOUD AFTER 40- 50 TURNS PULL APART AND FLIP YOUR BEARINGS AROUND! IF THAT DOESNT WORK CALL ME iLL GET YOU A CLUTCH ASSEMBLY UNDER WARRANTY ESPECIALLY IF ITS A "B" SERIES! I CANT SAY WHO I AM BUT YOULL FIGURE IT OUT! OR THEYLL KICK ME OFF! LOL

chubbdarter
07-06-2011, 01:58 PM
OK INSIDE WHERE YOU ARE YOULL SEE A BUNCH OF CYLINDER BEARING STANDING ON END! THE MIDDLE PIECE SLIDES OUT OF THE MIDDLE, nOW TAKE THAT OUT AND CHECK FOR SCRATCHES AND WEAR POINTS IF YOU HAVE SOME GREEN PT SCRUBBING PADS HOLD THE BEARING BUSHING IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND AND TRY AND POLISH OUT AS MUCH OF THAT INDENTATION AS POSSIBLE RE INSERT(WITH NO OIL FOR NOW) REASSMBLE AND TRY IF STILL LOUD AFTER 40- 50 TURNS PULL APART AND FLIP YOUR BEARINGS AROUND! IF THAT DOESNT WORK CALL ME iLL GET YOU A CLUTCH ASSEMBLY UNDER WARRANTY ESPECIALLY IF ITS A "B" SERIES! I CANT SAY WHO I AM BUT YOULL FIGURE IT OUT! OR THEYLL KICK ME OFF! LOL

is that the difference between the A ad B series? a non specific bearing?

Shaggy
07-06-2011, 02:04 PM
This thread has a guaranteed solution. Your reel will work like it's brand new.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=97023

07-06-2011, 02:08 PM

IT COULDNT BE THE REEL DOCTOR COULD IT :thinking-006::thinking-006::thinking-006: HOWS MY REEL DAMN IT :lol:

buckmaster
07-06-2011, 03:52 PM
problem fixed! You fixed the reel not long ago.

walleyeca
07-07-2011, 08:13 AM
problem fixed! You fixed the reel not long ago.

LOL ok well I hope your happy then? Ive been doing 50-60 a week! silly actually just silly! And BBJ Im waiting for your pinion gear its in the mail and I think that is all I have to say about that and beside I cant help it if you catch big fish all the time and burn up your reels! LOL nex time buy a penn vsx12 you cant break that! LOL

buckmasterjr
07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
LOL ok well I hope your happy then? Ive been doing 50-60 a week! silly actually just silly! And BBJ Im waiting for your pinion gear its in the mail and I think that is all I have to say about that and beside I cant help it if you catch big fish all the time and burn up your reels! LOL nex time buy a penn vsx12 you cant break that! LOL

The reel works great! Not sure what u did to it but the clicking sound stopped and the anti-reverse works again!