PDA

View Full Version : Reports on the southern Reservoirs

Braun
04-27-2011, 09:41 AM
With only 10 Days to opening, Is there any reports on how the Reservoirs in the south are doing? Travers, Mac, Chin, Newel, Crawling valley......

To be Honest I really only care to hear about travers and chin but its only fair to include the others

npauls
04-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Chin and Stafford were wide open as far as I could see when I drove over the dam last sunday.

Mish@
04-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Hopefully a little rain will melt some of the ice!

tasco
04-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Chain lakes and pine coulee resivoir are still iced over, drove by both today

Braun
04-27-2011, 09:30 PM
oooo. thats not a good sign. Although I think travers will ice out before these two lakes but you never know. Still A week I guess

npauls
04-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Chin is already open Braun. Just find your way down there if you are able to get out on opening day.

calgarygringo
04-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Sounds good. May have to take a drive next weekend if I can get the boat ready by then. I could use a nice wally or several 15-20 pound gators to start the year.

Braun
04-27-2011, 10:05 PM
ya I doubt thats going to happen. Its questionable if the boat will be ready for the 8th. Im aiming for the 14th. dont want to rush it. Plus like I said, that is a long ways for a first trip with a new boat........

calgarygringo
04-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I have not even uncovered mine from winter yet and there is still snow around it in the back yard. Need to do some maintainance too so may be a week or 3 yet for me.

Gators
04-28-2011, 02:03 PM
I was by Twin Valley this morning, 99% of the lake still has ice on it. It is open on the south end along the dam about 75' from shore and only open a few other spots that I could see. The ice is chunky and very rotten so most of it will probably be gone by next weekend but there may still be some around unless it finally warms up around here.

Mish@
04-28-2011, 05:17 PM
that is good to hear!

WayneChristie
04-29-2011, 07:46 AM
I was going to check Newell out tonight, but with this rain might not be able to get through the mud to see. I will post if I make it.

Mish@
04-29-2011, 09:05 AM
I was going to check Newell out tonight, but with this rain might not be able to get through the mud to see. I will post if I make it.

Yes that would be great :)

lobre370
04-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Well Newell is still iced up pretty good, maybe 20 feet of open water around the shore, thats about it.

WayneChristie
04-29-2011, 07:04 PM
As mentioned, Newell is still 99.8 percent iced over. A few open patches around the shore here and there, but still mostly ice. Uploading pictures now, just got back from checking it out. From the looks of the cracking bays, and the crystalline ice I have a feeling it will be opening pretty good by next weekend if not sooner, especially if we get more wind like today, Im sure when I was driving westward I was up on 2 wheels a couple times. A whole day of storm cells blowing through, I doubt the fish will be doing much biting this weekend. Id think if you are driving a ways you might do better saving your gas money for next weekend. I did do a bit of casting but no takers. Biggest open spot was at the Rolling Hills reservoir outlet. Didnt bother checking out the western shore, doubt it was any better, all ice as far as I could see.

graybeard
05-23-2015, 07:10 AM
Went to PCR on Monday (May 18) and had fun. A buddy and me were not disappointed in the Walleye action.
Half a minnow on a jig head; Panther Martin's; Rapala's of all sorts and sizes..... yup a fun day......and all from shore and the boat ramp area.