PDA

View Full Version : May Fly fishing locations// Bow River, Crowsnest or anywhere better? Advice Pls

Flyfishnut
04-28-2011, 07:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

I have gotten the flyfishing bug for the last couple of years and looking for good fly fishing locations on the Bow/Crowsnest or anywhere better during the first week of May to get to my happy place. Just recently separated from my significant other and I am sure as many of you can attest to find serenity on the river and hoping to catch fish in the interim.

Cheers

J

Dust1n
04-28-2011, 07:31 PM
iff your new to it id suggest the bow river.
cause theres lots more trout
bigger trout.
easleir to catch IMO.
stick with large streamers

Flyfishnut
04-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks Fish Hunter. Any suggestions on locations on the bow right now?

Much appreciated,

J

Dust1n
04-28-2011, 07:51 PM
glenmore lots of browns under the bridge but are harder o catch because of the preasure. go and explore the area going up and down stream will produce.

Flyfishnut
04-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks FH.

Wes_G
04-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Yeah I wouldn't head to the Crow in May specifically to catch fish on the dry fly. Not to say it wont happen, because it could, but the action likely wouldnt be fast and furious.

tacklerunner
04-28-2011, 11:26 PM
PM sent.

Daceminnow
04-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Southwestern Alberta Hatches

May

Midges *
Baetis *
March Brown *
Salmon Flies *
Various Caddis *

lannie
04-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Yeah I wouldn't head to the Crow in May specifically to catch fish on the dry fly. Not to say it wont happen, because it could, but the action likely wouldnt be fast and furious.

That's quite interesting. Why is this so ?

uplander
04-29-2011, 10:17 AM
That's quite interesting. Why is this so ?

The water temps aren't ideal right now for there to be any major hatches on top so the fish won't be looking up as much as theyd be taking nymphs and chasing streamers

lannie
04-29-2011, 11:30 AM
I thought it was interesting because one of my favorite times for dry fly fishing
is in may. The stonefly hatch can get very fast and furious. It is the hatch that
that can make these trout rise with reckless abandon. It could be delayed this year with a later melt and the cooler water temps. but it is in the past a second week in may start hatch.

Wes_G
04-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Well it hasn't happend for me on the Crow in May. and I have been during the stonefly hatch. They just dont seem to be looking up whenever I have been there early season. Like I said though, not to say it cant happen, but you would be extremely lucky if you are there in May and they are.

densa44
04-29-2011, 10:33 PM
What you need is clear water! The Castle used to be my favorite, they ha a campground right on the river, They had a very large flood and it ruined the trout fishing, A bear then killed a fisherman so be careful!

If you can get a day when the Bow is clear, you will never fish a better trout stream on this continent!