PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Mentor

fallen1817
05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Hey all,

I got a fly rod for my birthday :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout: I don't know the make, as it is on its way in the mail from the Father-in-law. Really excited to get into the sport. I have tried my hand at it, but did not have much success. I am looking for someone to show me the tips and tricks that make the sport that much more fun. I have the basics of casting, but can only manage to get the hook out about 20-30 ft, and not with much accuracy. Anyways, I'm looking for someone to show me the ropes. Im also really interested in experimenting with float tubes on pothole lakes, but that will come once I have the basics down. I am in South Edmonton, near Millwoods Town Centre. Any help would be appreciated!

-Cheers.

Dust1n
05-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Hey all,

I got a fly rod for my birthday :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout: I don't know the make, as it is on its way in the mail from the Father-in-law. Really excited to get into the sport. I have tried my hand at it, but did not have much success. I am looking for someone to show me the tips and tricks that make the sport that much more fun. I have the basics of casting, but can only manage to get the hook out about 20-30 ft, and not with much accuracy. Anyways, I'm looking for someone to show me the ropes. Im also really interested in experimenting with float tubes on pothole lakes, but that will come once I have the basics down. I am in South Edmonton, near Millwoods Town Centre. Any help would be appreciated!

-Cheers.

go buy some leech patterns and wooly buggers.strip in with any retreve and your set. you cant realy mess it up. aftr your done landing and practisicng how to catch and land fish with it move on to more diffacult technques with drys and nymphing.

fallen1817
05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
go buy some leech patterns and wooly buggers.strip in with any retreve and your set. you cant realy mess it up. aftr your done landing and practisicng how to catch and land fish with it move on to more diffacult technques with drys and nymphing.

I should have mentioned, I'm not down with the talk of the fly-fishermen. could you break it down for me a bit? :) Thanks for the advice, now I just have to decipher it lol. :)

Dust1n
05-01-2011, 06:24 PM
cast out the fly line as far as you can with just an overhand cast.(lots more casts though) take the fly line between your fingures and slowly take up your line(not on the reel). when you feel a strike (tick or the movment of the line) lift up your rod at a good speed but not as fast as spin tackle
anything else i missed

fallen1817
05-01-2011, 06:26 PM
cast out the fly line as far as you can with just an overhand cast.(lots more casts though) take the fly line between your fingures and slowly take up your line(not on the reel). when you feel a strike (tick or the movment of the line) lift up your rod at a good speed but not as fast as spin tackle
anything else i missed

Where would you recommend picking up flies? I dont need to overload, I just need a few to get me started. You mentioned some patterns (I'll google them), do they come in different sizes, or is it just a universal size?

Dust1n
05-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Where would you recommend picking up flies? I dont need to overload, I just need a few to get me started. You mentioned some patterns (I'll google them), do they come in different sizes, or is it just a universal size?

whole sale sports or the fishn hole.and local fly shops all have them.
in may id start using them because they imatate alot of food items like sculpins/damsils/baitfish/and leeches. they can come in lots of sizes and colors.
my favorite colors are black/olive/brown/white. all of these works in size 8-12.
do some bio on leeches and mimic that on your fly

Dak1138
05-01-2011, 08:51 PM
I am new to this fly fishing thing too so I would be useless to you as a mentor.

I was going to suggest you sign up for the Northern Lights Fly Tyers (http://www.nlft.org/) seminar but i see that both sessions are filled up, but if you express interested maybe they will add another. Sorry I took up one of the spots for the June lessons.

The library has some good fly fishing dvds and books you can take out.

the Fishin' Hole sells there lower end flies for $1.25 or if you buy more than 12 they are only $1 each. You just missed there spring sale where they were 25% off. Wait until Fathers Day for the next sale.

Wolley buggers seem to be a reliable go to fly for catching fish ,so stocking up on some of those would be a good idea.

I use to be a Millwoods boy myself not so long ago and I noticed there are some gold fish (maybe 3 to 4 inches in length) in Millwoods Park across from town centre. I was wondering what it would take to get one of them to bite a fly (probably something really small).I know that may not sound very sporting but it would give you someplace within walking distance to practice your casting.

And for places to fish close to millwoods ,I hear Beaumont pond is decent, I know Hermitage Park one the north side is good. I keep hearing about the suckers and chubs in Whitemud creek, I imagine they are in there,if not it is still a good place to practice.
Check out this website for other useful information including places to fish around the city http://www.edmontontrout.ca/ .

Good luck.

alacringa
05-01-2011, 10:04 PM

Aside from WSS and local fly shops, you might check out Icky Fly Works (http://www.ickyflyworks.ca), based in Calgary, which has pretty decent flies at very reasonable prices. They also offer free shipping on orders over $30.

Flies, like spinning lures, do come in different sizes (based of the standard hook sizes, which I assume you are more or less familiar with). For streamers, like the leech patterns and buggers (the Muddler Minnow is another worthwhile pattern) suggested, you probably want to go with about a size 4 or size 6 for most places in AB.

pipco
05-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Hey all,

-Cheers.

Howdy,

There are very good videos and books out there with valuable information. The public library is a great resource at an affordable price. Read and watch as much about the sport as you can then put the knowledge to work. You can practice casting in a school yard or field. There are also fly fishing seminars or casting clinics that are usually posted on AO forum and other forums and at the Fishin' hole.

Mike "Doc" Montieth @ www.albertastillwaters.com also offers lessons, clinics, is a very knowledgable and nice guy.

I hope this helps and have fun with flingin' some flies.

stan

RapStaff
05-02-2011, 07:57 PM
First thing first........start with some decent weight forward line.

Then get out on the greenbelt and start casting.
Work out your timing...... make sure your line comes to full extension front and back to prevent knotting.

If you want specifics send me a PM.

Cheers!

Gust
05-02-2011, 09:30 PM
A great way to get a feel for throwing the line is to go to a park and set up some targets,, then get a feel of the line going out and/or travelling behind you. It's a real zen type of fishing, and it's not as simple as learning how to flick a lure out with a spinning rod. Pick a park day where theres a bit of wind or a tree as an obstacle,, learn how to throw the line with a cross wind or back wind or into the wind,, it takes time and more time to learn on the river/lake and adding in all those factors. And if you are down around Cowgary, post that you're heading down as I'm sure there are plenty of people more than willing to give you a day of tips and maybe a fish or two.