PDA

View Full Version : Oldman river

winger7mm
05-03-2011, 05:33 AM
New to south alberta, two questions. Does the oldman river clear-up or stay murky all season??? and any suggestions (not anyones sweet spot) for around the lethbridge area. Iv caught just about every alberta species and would love to catch a sauger. I would also like a good walleye river spot.
thanks everyone for any tips that may come in.

cougarcreek
05-03-2011, 07:21 AM
The Oldman wil clear up late June early July depending on runoff. The best fishing is upstream of the Dam with rainbows in the lower stretch and cutthroat starting at the forestry boundary.

There is good walleye fishing downstream of Lethbridge around Taber.

NUK SOO KOW
05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
There are good walleye spots from lethbridge all the way to the forks(where the bow and oldman meet at Grassy Lake). I have caught several walleye within Lethbridge city limits, the biggest two at 8 pounds. One was with pickeral rig and minnows, the other with the ol'five of diamonds. Just do some exploring and find the pools. I have not caught a sauger since I was a kid. Learn the river and the fishing can be amazing! I have a friend that lives in Monarch that has a nice liitle spot they go to, and they have pulled out some bigguns there too.

Pudelpointer
05-03-2011, 10:24 AM
From what I understand the Milk is your best chance at a Sauger, though they are found in most/all of the larger river systems. The only sure fire Sauger spot I personally know of is near Drayton, so can't help you there.

If you finally hook up, post some pics.

Josh IVC
05-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Are you right in Leth? I caught a pike on my 5wt last November right under the train bridge on a stone nymph. Wasn't even really expecting to catch but it was a nice day so I thought I'd throw a few practice casts before putting my gear away.

Later that day I saw a guy spey casting just upstream. He said he was going after walleye and that you can get into pretty big schools of them around there.

Good spot if you're in town and just want to get out for an hour or two in the evening.