PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice, RE: New Reel

RedHeadedFisherman
05-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi All. last year I purchased a new rod, A Shimano FX S-80 MHHB2 for a new pike rod
What would complement this rod,..

Id like to get either a Shamano Symetre 2500/3000 RD at $129.9 at Calgary WSS
or,..
a Shamano Stradic CI4 3000 FD @ $199.99 at Calgary WSS

what's your opinion
is a Front Drag better than a Rear ( I personal prefer Rear Drag)

Thanks for your input

RHD

TyreeUM
05-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Go with the stradic, it is worth the extra money - especially for bigger fish like pike. The drag is 1000x better on the stradic.

bubba 96
05-03-2011, 09:56 AM
If ya got the cash go with the ci4....thats my next reel purchase, I used 1 bass fishin on the niagra river last june and there awsome.....

Kokanee9
05-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Symetre was just on sale at TFH for $89.95, all sizes last week. What about the pfleuger supreme xt on sale at WSS. I was shimano for 30yrs. I picked up one of the pfleugers and I'm really impressed with it.
After a certain spending point, the differences are slight and start getting into weight reduction with lighter, but more expensive materials.

lobre370
05-03-2011, 10:18 AM
I have a symetre 2500 RJ, It is an excellent
Reel, the quick adjust drag is awesome

stc77
05-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Go with the stradic. Even if you went with the stradic FI. The FI comes with a spare spool and in all honestly i think it's better than the CI4. You're just paying extra to make the reel lighter in the CI4. The FI is more durable. Also, the stradics have a sealed spool, meaning you wont get sand, dirt, water etc.. into the spool/drag system as compared to the symetre which does not have this feature. Both are excellent reels. The rear drag is kind of nice in the sense that it has a fighting drag system as well... allowing for very quick drag adjustment if that big one comes along. You would be happy with both, but if it were my money id go with the stradic FI. Check out the Saros too, it's the model between the symetre and the stradic. They are really nice as well, sealed drag system and also comes with a spare spool. Sells for 139 at WSS.

Newspeak
05-03-2011, 12:15 PM
If you have the money, go for the better reel.

fishaddict
05-03-2011, 12:17 PM
i just bought a sustain 2500fe and i love it

TyreeUM
05-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Between me and the two guys I fish with, we own at least 5 symetre reels and 3 stradics. Believe me when I say the difference between the two reels is HUGE and the stradic makes the symetre feel like a 25 dollar quantum. I have also fished with a sustain and that reel is absolutely fantastic as well, although you will be just as happy with the stradic. Go stradic and don't look back...

BGSH
05-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Go with stradic
go with stradic
go with stradic
go with stradic
go with stradic

chubbdarter
05-03-2011, 01:22 PM
im not critisizing your reel choices...but isnt the FX rod like 20 bucks?
A 200 dollar reel on a 20 dollar rod seems unusual to me.

Kokanee9
05-03-2011, 01:57 PM

I would say he has a point there.

TyreeUM
05-03-2011, 02:18 PM

He said it was for pike....I use cheap rods for pike as well. As long as they cast decent I am not to worried about the quality of my rod. Plus, the hardware I throw for them typically has a fair amount of weight to it so a cheaper rod will cast just fine. The reel, to me, is way more important for this kind of fishing.

chubbdarter
05-03-2011, 02:26 PM
He said it was for pike....I use cheap rods for pike as well. As long as they cast decent I am not to worried about the quality of my rod. Plus, the hardware I throw for them typically has a fair amount of weight to it so a cheaper rod will cast just fine. The reel, to me, is way more important for this kind of fishing.

i quess i see your point but the FX is a rod with absolutely NO spine....any lure with some wieght will max it out....in my opinion there fore it will not have any hook setting properties. Big lures have big hooks and need some backbone to drive hooks home.
Your a experienced fisherman that catches big fish so i will leave it at that....we just have different tastes...alls good.

p.s. i stand corrected the FX is 15 bucks and goes on sale for 9.95

RedHeadedFisherman
05-03-2011, 02:44 PM
i quess i see your point but the FX is a rod with absolutely NO spine....any lure with some wieght will max it out....in my opinion there fore it will not have any hook setting properties. Big lures have big hooks and need some backbone to drive hooks home.
Your a experienced fisherman that catches big fish so i will leave it at that....we just have different tastes...alls good.

heys all thanks for your opinions.. the rod.. ya at the time, it was at wally world, i was there.. poof it just jumped into my basket and followed me home, sorta like a puppy,
and,also i am on a very fixed income. so i will be saving up for,...

THE STRADIC

AND AFTER THAT,.. A BETTER ROD TO MACTH IT

now to get out and catch some 'eyes at PCR again this year and meet somemore members of the greatest albertain fishing forum ever

thanks again
RHF

chubbdarter
05-03-2011, 02:48 PM
heys all thanks for your opinions.. the rod.. ya at the time, it was at wally world, i was there.. poof it just jumped into my basket and followed me home, sorta like a puppy,
and,also i am on a very fixed income. so i will be saving up for,...

THE STRADIC

AND AFTER THAT,.. A BETTER ROD TO MACTH IT

now to get out and catch some 'eyes at PCR again this year and meet somemore members of the greatest albertain fishing forum ever

thanks again
RHF

as long as your fishing.....its all good....best of luck

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Buy a Baitcaster , Something like that Shimano Corvalus , with a Shimano Sojourn musky rod . Then your into a good rod and reel for less then that Stradic reel .

TyreeUM
05-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Yeah I have never heard of the rod he listed and knew nothing about it, I was only assuming, since he said it was for pike, it would have decent backbone and be a medium heavy or so, obviously that is not the case. You should maybe get a stiffer rod - but you should be able to get something suitable for pike between 30 and 50 bucks.

RedHeadedFisherman
05-03-2011, 03:12 PM
as long as your fishing.....its all good....best of luck

Thanks Chub..

Geezle
05-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Buy a Baitcaster , Something like that Shimano Corvalus , with a Shimano Sojourn musky rod . Then your into a good rod and reel for less then that Stradic reel .

I have in my posession a 1 piece MH Shimano Sojourn baitcasting rod that needs a home...

Dust1n
05-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Go with the stradic, it is worth the extra money - especially for bigger fish like pike. The drag is 1000x better on the stradic.

x7 go for the stradic! i dont got one but its my next reel im going to get my buddy has one and the drag is super smooth and great!

Darren_buckhunter
05-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Stradic c14 all the way cast like a dream smooth reeling and awesome drag they arnt even compareable reels c14 all the way great for big pike got the 2500 and brought in 4 pike like nothing this year all over 40 inchs

gramps73
05-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Go with stradic
go with stradic
go with stradic
go with stradic
go with stradic

What he said, I have 2 on my lindy rods and one on a jigging rod and love them..