PDA

View Full Version : Is Pickeral a different fish then a Walleye?

yamaha 1
05-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I was brought up in Saskatchewan for the better part of my life and we allways called Walleye, Pickeral. Now a co worker told me this morrning that a pickeral is a different fish then a Walleye. He said there was no Pickeral in Alberta, just Walleye. Pickeral was only found in Saskatchewan, it looks like a Walleye but it was a different fish. I said you must be thinking of a Sauger and I called bull *****. He said he knew what a Sauger was and that was different. Does any one know if he is telling the truth?

FishingMOM
05-04-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=14644

fitzy
05-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Yep sorry to say but a pickeral is a totally different fish than a Walleye, I thinks it actually called a chain pickeral and its close to a Northern pike.

gatorhunter
05-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Walleye is the correct name. You should get used to it and use it. That other word has been used incorrectly by Saskatchewanians, Manitobans and Ontarians for years.

Sauger is a different specie than walleye.

REPEAT AFTER ME - WALLEYE, WALLEYE, WALLEYE....

gunner72
05-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Everyone that fishes knows that a chain pickeral is pickeral and a walleye is a walleye but i'm sure that it's no more than a pet peeve when some one corrects you. Whats the big deal, all the old boys that still call walleye "pickeral" have likely forgotten more about fishing than the guys that worry about it will ever know.:lol:

yamaha 1
05-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Walleye is the correct name. You should get used to it and use it. That other word has been used incorrectly by Saskatchewanians, Manitobans and Ontarians for years.

Sauger is a different specie than walleye.

REPEAT AFTER ME - WALLEYE, WALLEYE, WALLEYE....

WOW!!! I just asked a question and got the answer, sorry for asking I guess your more perfect than me...no need to be a tolal @**. :scared0018:

Okotokian
05-04-2011, 02:57 PM
WOW!!! I just asked a question and got the answer, sorry for asking I guess your more perfect than me...no need to be a tolal @**. :scared0018:

hmmmmm I didn't take his response as rude. I don't think it was meant to be Yam. :)

doetracks
05-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I didn't see it as rude, either.

Big Red 250
05-04-2011, 03:28 PM
In Manitoba, I often heard them called "yellows". Mostly by first nation's.

yamaha 1
05-04-2011, 03:36 PM
I didn't see it as rude, either.

Well maybe I'm having a bad day.....sorry....I have never caught a,so called, Pickeral before...never even seen one and I have done alot of fishing in my day. I guess you learn some thing new every day ( even us old dogs :) )

Donkey Oatey
05-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Well maybe I'm having a bad day.....sorry....I have never caught a,so called, Pickeral before...never even seen one and I have done alot of fishing in my day. I guess you learn some thing new every day ( even us old dogs :) )

Pickerel.
http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Esocidae/chain_pickerel.jpg

Walleye.
http://www.myfishingnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/walleye2-1024x478.jpg

TheClash
05-04-2011, 03:58 PM
so what distinguishes a pickerel from a pike from a musky??

Skybuster
05-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Maybe it's something about the Peace Country, but I didn't know that they were different. I came from BC and had not caught either, but I have caught some Walleye since coming to Alberta, and I was told by someone that it was also called a pickeral. However, having looked up pictures of the two fish - Chain Pickeral and Walleye - I would have called the Chain Pickeral a Pike, which, as pointed out, it is a member of. The two fish definately are different - thanks guys for setting me straight. Here are pics I found of the two. They are obviously different.
oops - Donkey Oatey beat me to it.

Donkey Oatey
05-04-2011, 04:06 PM

Different species of the pike family.
Esox Lusius = Pike
Esox Masquinongy = Muskie
Esox Niger = chain pickerel.

TheClash
05-04-2011, 04:08 PM
so as far as field identification....how hard is it to tell those 3 apart??

Donkey Oatey
05-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Here is a little bit on the Esox family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esox

As for telling them apart I would have no experience with that. Only fish for pike in Alberta and all we have are Northern Pike.

TheClash
05-04-2011, 04:11 PM
huh, well then no worries then, I have been identifying them correctly lol

uglyelk
05-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Jack Fish

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk1Ty6px1-NPYxH01I0yKdg2R_JKSwtukP6uumvRVuLo2lx2mVKQ

Pike

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/reeltimenorthwest/northern_pike.jpg

SushiUnagi
05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
I had the same question last year when I started to fish.

Yeah for some reason there's a crowd that keeps on referring to walleyes as pickerels, and the worst part is, they will say you're wrong if you try to correct them. So no point arguing. Thanks to my friends on AOF as well as google, it helped steered me in the right direction about it. Just like everyone mentioned above.

Pickerels are much similar looking to Pikes than they are to Walleyes. So why they refer walleyes as pickerels instead of pikes is beyond me. They are smaller in size than pikes as well....so I'm going to assume they are quite bony too.

Mr.twister
05-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Some people also call them EYES, hmm i like that.

calgarygringo
05-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I grew up in Manitoba and only knew them as Pickerel. We then moved to Montreal and went through the same thing except they were called a Dore'. Until we caught them we didn't know what the heck one was. When summer came and finally got out there we laughed at this great new fish. When I moved to AB no one other than us from east of here knew of a Pickerel. Same fish it is just what everyone refers them to.

pickrel pat
05-04-2011, 06:31 PM
what????!!!!!! now i gotta change my name......:argue2:

Lefty-Canuck
05-04-2011, 06:33 PM
what????!!!!!! now i gotta change my name......:argue2:

.....and learn how to spell :)

Lefty

densa44
05-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Those old enough to remember Lake Erie before the scourge of the Lamprey eel will remember the Blue Pickeral, a very important commercial fish.

Before hamburgers took over our world there were shacks at every port on the Canadian side of the lake selling fish and chips and the fish was the blue Pickeral. It looked just like the Walleye except that it was blue.

I think that they are all gone, too bad.

horsetrader
05-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Those old enough to remember Lake Erie before the scourge of the Lamprey eel will remember the Blue Pickeral, a very important commercial fish.

Before hamburgers took over our world there were shacks at every port on the Canadian side of the lake selling fish and chips and the fish was the blue Pickeral. It looked just like the Walleye except that it was blue.

I think that they are all gone, too bad.

They have said that the Blue Walleye was extinct in the 80's but there has been many anglers that have claimed to have caught them over the years. And if you look in the recent issue of a western fishing and hunting mag won't mention the name there is a good article on the catching of blue walleye in lakes in western Qu.,Ont. and Manitoba

tacklerunner
05-04-2011, 06:54 PM

The easiest way to tell a Muskie from a Northern Pike is Muskie has dark patterns on lighter skin and a Pike has spots or patterns are lighter than the darker background skin.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/muskie-and-pike-differences.jpg

tyee33
05-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Call them what you want, people call a pike a jack and to me a jack is a mechanical device to lift a car. When i lived in BC and fished the rivers, an immature chinook that came up the river was called a jack by the locals.I still call them pickerel and also call pike pike, not a jack.To confuse things more, why do some call a can of tuna, tuna fish and a can of salmon,salmon
... shouldnt it be a can of salmon fish

TyreeUM
05-04-2011, 07:08 PM
there are also blue walleye in Wollaston lake in Saskatchewan.

tacklerunner
05-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Call them what you want, people call a pike a jack and to me a jack is a mechanical device to lift a car. When i lived in BC and fished the rivers, an immature chinook that came up the river was called a jack by the locals.I still call them pickerel and also call pike pike, not a jack.To confuse things more, why do some call a can of tuna, tuna fish and a can of salmon,salmon
... shouldnt it be a can of salmon fish

Yep, I also used to call them Jack Springs aka shakers aka piszcutters. But they're "chinooks" aka springs and kings in the US.

What about the dolphin fish aka dorado aka mahi mahi???

Just catch them, enjoy fishing and call them what you want.

chubbdarter
05-04-2011, 07:10 PM
makes a difference if your fishing waters with both picks and eyes in it, other than that when a guy say pickeral to me here in Alberta i know what he is talking about.

Gust
05-04-2011, 08:54 PM
In late September of 1975 I caught my first trout on a size 14 royal coachman and a bit of coathanger for a weight on the Sheep River, which was quite an accomplishment,, for you older fishermen who remember fishing the Sheep, the whitefish limit was 15 then and the shore was shoulder to shoulder and the river was charcoal gray from side to side for miles on end with rockies.

When it was netted it caused a stir and everybody said nice Dolly Varden (don't get your knickers knot) that's what bulls were called then. It was 2 lbs,, it was fried and eaten that night, it also had two previous fights hooks in its mouth. Burbot was always called Ling and the older old old timers called walleye pickeral. Of easily 1000 fish hauled that day, I caught the only trout and had I become anymore addicted to fishing, my spelling would be that of Fish Hunter7. It didn't help things later when I went to high school 50 feet from two of the best holes on the Elbow, I literally skipped school to fish, sometimes in plain view of my math teacher.

gatorhunter
05-04-2011, 09:06 PM

I work in a field that requires me to know correct names of fish, wildlife, trees, etc. so I know what Im talking about when it comes to freshwater fish species and their correct names.

For the record, I wasnt trying to be rude. It appeared that you were new to the names so I was trying to hard wire the correct name into your head before you got used to saying the p.word!:)

The Quebec name Dore means golden which is why walleyes in Quebec have that local name.

Commercial fishermen across the Prairie Provinces call them yellows but they are sold by them and the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation as Pickerel which btw is the correct way to spell the p.word.

Blue Walleye still exist in many eastern Ontario and western Quebec lakes. They are really neat and if a person sees one, they will know what a blue walleye looks like. Quebecers call them Dore bleu.

Hope were good!:love0025:

Speckle55
05-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Chinook Salmon aka
Jack Spring under 17 lbs
Spring 17 to 30 lbs
Tyee 30 to 50 lbs
King over 50 lbs

yes to Chain Pickerel in Eastern Canada/States look at markings and gill plate bottom half has scales /Pike does not

Slang in western Canada for Walleye

also in BC they call Lake Trout char /real Artic Char are in Rivers/ lake that flow into Artic.. although it Lake Trout is in the Char family

in BC they call Bull Trout / Dolly Varden .. but they are in Alaska/Yukon/NWT/Sea of Japan area(Dolly) and Northern flowing rivers and migrates to Sea and back unless stocked and they have differn,t number of small gill rakers(21-22)first in jaw area new study in 80's.. Bull Trout have 25 to 30

Food for thought
David

New Hunter Okotoks
05-04-2011, 11:33 PM
I was brought up in Northern Ontario and the only people who used the term "Walleye" at that time were Americans and Guys on Fishing Shows.That was 20 years ago when I left. I now use the term Walleye about half the time or whenever I am talking fishing with someone I don't know.

Oddly enough,Costco uses the term Pickerel on their Walleye fillets.

tacklerunner
05-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Chinook Salmon aka
Jack Spring under 17 lbs
Spring 17 to 30 lbs
Tyee 30 to 50 lbs
King over 50 lbs

yes to Chain Pickerel in Eastern Canada/States look at markings and gill plate bottom half has scales /Pike does not

Slang in western Canada for Walleye

also in BC they call Lake Trout char /real Artic Char are in Rivers/ lake that flow into Artic.. although it Lake Trout is in the Char family

in BC they call Bull Trout / Dolly Varden .. but they are in Alaska/Yukon/NWT/Sea of Japan area(Dolly) and Northern flowing rivers and migrates to Sea and back unless stocked and they have differn,t number of small gill rakers(21-22)first in jaw area new study in 80's.. Bull Trout have 25 to 30

Food for thought
David

You are not entirely correct... sorry. Spring is what we call the Chinook species. King is what the Americans call them. A Tyee is 30 lbs+. A Smiley is 20 lbs but less than 30 lbs. We have rainbows, gerrard rainbows (which are land locked steelhead), kokanee (which are land locked sockeye salmon), dolly varden and bull trout in our lakes in BC. They are all different species. Dollies and Bull trout are often confused by inexperienced anglers but there are pictures in the regs that clearly define them and they look entirely different. I caught a 7 lb Dolly and a 7 lb Rainbow last week within 15 minutes and they were twins in body and head shape but the spots and colouring are entirely different. Trust me, I have caught thousands of fresh water and salt water fish in BC but I happen to live in Calgary for the most part.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Pickerel.
http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Esocidae/chain_pickerel.jpg

Walleye.
http://www.myfishingnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/walleye2-1024x478.jpg

That top one is a chain pickrell , and obvious bottom is Walleye .As for the differances would be size . There habitat is the same as a Pike . other then that I dont know much about them . Except I know I hate when people call Walleye Pickrell .

Speckle55
05-05-2011, 12:22 AM
You are not entirely correct... sorry. Spring is what we call the Chinook species. King is what the Americans call them. A Tyee is 30 lbs+. A Smiley is 20 lbs but less than 30 lbs. We have rainbows, gerrard rainbows (which are land locked steelhead), kokanee (which are land locked sockeye salmon), dolly varden and bull trout in our lakes in BC. They are all different species. Dollies and Bull trout are often confused by inexperienced anglers but there are pictures in the regs that clearly define them and they look entirely different. I caught a 7 lb Dolly and a 7 lb Rainbow last week within 15 minutes and they were twins in body and head shape but the spots and colouring are entirely different. Trust me, I have caught thousands of fresh water and salt water fish in BC but I happen to live in Calgary for the most part.
I was Born in Ocean Falls BC.. but hey Chinook aka below is a common name not only American.. but no need to argue .. on the Dolly/Bull Trout if you can tell by looking hhmmm.. also for your knowledge and other's i have a AGFA record book and it gives a discription of each Game Fish(aka etc) .. Btw I have held both IGFA and NFWFHF World Records in Fresh water fishing .. but use the book as a resource when answering question.. David:)

tacklerunner
05-05-2011, 12:26 AM
I was Born in Ocean Falls BC.. but hey Chinook aka below is a common name not only American.. but no need to argue .. on the Dolly/Bull Trout if you can tell by looking hhmmm.. also for your knowledge and other's i have a AGFA record book and it gives a discription of each Game Fish(aka etc) .. Btw I have held both IGFA and NFWFHF World Records in Fresh water fishing .. but use the book as a resource when answering question.. David:)

Please re-read my post again before commenting.

chubbdarter
05-05-2011, 12:28 AM
and we are off and running......here comes the boards

horsetrader
05-05-2011, 12:35 AM
and we are off and running......here comes the boards

Hey chubb I got lost how did we get to SALMON is that when the Pike, Pickerel and walleye all mate together............:thinking-006:

chubbdarter
05-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Hey chubb I got lost how did we get to SALMON is that when the Pike, Pickerel and walleye all mate together............:thinking-006:

hahhahhhhhaa.....do you have radar for gong shows.

Time for a donny and marie tune

horsetrader
05-05-2011, 12:43 AM
hahhahhhhhaa.....do you have radar for gong shows.

Time for a donny and marie tune

Just a nack!

Speckle55
05-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks for post Chinook Salmon aka under is names for Chinook Salmon just as per size.. slang..my post

on Bull/Dolly even the scientist only can tell by using the gill rakers to tell them apart .. colors are changed per area for both .. lots of misinformation.. even by Bio's

Btw did you know the Alberta Record Brook Trout(14#14 oz)World Record(14#8 oz)

Not the Alberta Record Brook Trout is 12#14 oz and it has been a mistake for the last few years in the fishing Guide and on here under trophy.. misprint

Food for Thought
David

tacklerunner
05-05-2011, 12:51 AM

Please review pages 56 and 57 of the BC regs. Bulls and Dollies look nothing alike and there is only one species of Chinook Salmon. I can't argue against logic and experience; only ignorance. I was born in Nelson BC but only spent 30 years as a resident in the interior and on the coast, although I seem to spend half of each month in BC these days. And I've only fished sal****er for 30 years on the coast of BC, Alaska and in Washington and Oregon. I hold no records that I know of except those that are close to my heart and fresh in my mind that I will never forget. :snapoutofit: I consider myself a respected and sharing forum member. I am hardly the one to argue with.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/

chubbdarter
05-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Just a nack!

hope your nackers can handle another species, cuz a brook trout just swam up the creek

Jimboy
05-05-2011, 04:14 AM

But hes right , calling a walleye a pickeral is like calling a trout a sucker , the only place you find chain pickeral is in ontario , and they resemble a pike , not walleye , if your going to fish , call them by the right name.

KegRiver
05-05-2011, 07:22 AM
The problem with experts is that they know just enough to confuse everyone.

Walleye, Pickrel, Pike, Eye, whatever you call it, it's the same fish. And it's the best eating fish we have. Yeah I know, others will differ. And that's fine.

To each his own.

Fact is, most of the so called experts can't agree on what to call things.
Is it a Sparrow Hawk, no no it's a American Kestral. Is it a Walleye, No it's a Pickral. What does it realy matter, so long as everyone knows what you are talking about.

Let's be honest here. Some day, maybe soon some expert may well decide it isn't a Walleye. Who knows what they will call it then. Perhaps a Black Perch? The rest of us will be told that we are wrong and MUST use the new name.

As for me, I know what a Pickral is and what a Jack is. I know what they taste like cooked, and that's good enough for me.

horsetrader
05-05-2011, 08:03 AM
But hes right , calling a walleye a pickeral is like calling a trout a sucker , the only place you find chain pickeral is in ontario , and they resemble a pike , not walleye , if your going to fish , call them by the right name.

You may be right about what their called but you will find them in Qubec,New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and several of the southern states. So if you can get upset if I call a a Walleye a Pickerel,then I guess I can get upset at you for thinking you know where they exist. Face it their fish you call it what you want I'll call it what I want . Let's just hope we all catch lots this year............:)

yamaha 1
05-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Walleye, Pickrel, Pike, Eye, whatever you call it, it's the same fish. And it's the best eating fish we have. Yeah I know, others will differ. And that's fine.

To each his own.

Is it a Sparrow Hawk, no no it's a American Kestral. Is it a Walleye, No it's a Pickral. What does it realy matter, so long as everyone knows what you are talking about.

Let's be honest here. Some day, maybe soon some expert may well decide it isn't a Walleye. Who knows what they will call it then. Perhaps a Black Perch? The rest of us will be told that we are wrong and MUST use the new name.

As for me, I know what a Pickral is and what a Jack is. I know what they taste like cooked, and that's good enough for me.

Thank you, Well put.....fish is a fish, Walleye- pickeral, its good on the plate.

horsetrader
05-05-2011, 09:14 AM
hope your nackers can handle another species, cuz a brook trout just swam up the creek

I just can't take any more.

TippyCanoe
05-05-2011, 09:21 AM
They're just common names anyways and often used interchangeably. French speaking folks call them dore.

It's not the only fish that has more than one common name; burbot, ling, ling cod, mariah, lawyer fish (aggressive bottom feeders) are all the same fish........[I]lota lota. Hopefully we don't have to start using latin names for every fish.

FishingFrenzy
05-05-2011, 09:23 AM
So why do PICKERAL rigs work so well for WALLEYE??:scared0015::evilgrin:

alodar
05-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Because pickeral is their slave name

TyreeUM
05-05-2011, 09:55 AM
I work in a field that requires me to know correct names of fish, wildlife, trees, etc. so I know what Im talking about when it comes to freshwater fish species and their correct names.

For the record, I wasnt trying to be rude. It appeared that you were new to the names so I was trying to hard wire the correct name into your head before you got used to saying the p.word!:)

The Quebec name Dore means golden which is why walleyes in Quebec have that local name.

Commercial fishermen across the Prairie Provinces call them yellows but they are sold by them and the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation as Pickerel which btw is the correct way to spell the p.word.

Blue Walleye still exist in many eastern Ontario and western Quebec lakes. They are really neat and if a person sees one, they will know what a blue walleye looks like. Quebecers call them Dore bleu.

Hope were good!:love0025:

I think your field of work requires you to know the most recognized common name, not the "correct" name as you call it. Pickerel is also a "common name" for what you would call walleye, as is various other names used in different regions. Most fish have different common names in different area's they are found with typically one common name that would be considered the most recognized. The only true name of any fish is the scientific name - as it is universal.

FishBrain
05-05-2011, 10:52 AM
So then, if you know a walleye as a pickerel, can you win in court?

chubbdarter
05-05-2011, 10:57 AM
So then, if you know a walleye as a pickerel, can you win in court?

Cha-Ching......that drives the point home!!!!!

grinr
05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Chain Pickerel are a trout eating menace in NB and NS that quickly dominate lakes where they are ILLEGALLY introduced by bucket biologists and annhialate the resident native trout populations,then they turn cannibal on themselves after they've eaten all the trout!!.....I hate them toothy bastids almost as much as I hate smallmouth,likely only because smb are more popular and more often introduced as an illegal alien by the bucket brigades.http://www.gnb.ca/0078/publications/ChainPickerel-e.pdf

gatorhunter
05-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I think your field of work requires you to know the most recognized common name, not the "correct" name as you call it. Pickerel is also a "common name" for what you would call walleye, as is various other names used in different regions. Most fish have different common names in different area's they are found with typically one common name that would be considered the most recognized. The only true name of any fish is the scientific name - as it is universal.

Being half right makes you half wrong. I NEED TO KNOW the correct name as it is written in our legislation. Walleye is written in the fishery regulations whereas the p.word isnt.

Should one appear in court, the documents will show walleye as the legal name even though the fish may have been called the p.word locally. Commercial sales included.

I love it when people try to tell me what my job is!:snapoutofit:

gatorhunter
05-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Cha-Ching......that drives the point home!!!!!

No!

chubbdarter
05-05-2011, 11:43 AM
No!

so you believe if you stand in front of a Judge in Alberta and say....' your Honour im innocent of the charge of having 20 walleye in my possesion because i call them Pickerel'......your innocent?

Daceminnow
05-05-2011, 12:40 PM
how come with all these fish alias names flying around no one has mentioned Chickens.......probably one of my favorites. and to me the one alias most unrelated to the actual fish itself. quite disrespectful really. a fish is a fish, they all swim. call em what you will, i'll catch em.

Dace

chubbdarter
05-05-2011, 12:44 PM
i can draw up a few pics to use as a educational reference on fish species

MoFugger21
05-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Because this thread is already a HUGE....

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/trainwreck.jpg

... this is how I feel...

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/images.jpg

...but.... Who really cares what people call walleye? As long as they know what it is.

I could call a pike a "coffee table", but that doesn't actually mean I think a pike is a coffee table.... Extreme example, I know, but c'mon!

In a more suitable example, people call pike "snot rockets" or "slough sharks", but it's not like those people are searching the regs frantically looking for how many "snot rockets" and "slough sharks" they can keep...

People, especially people from the east, were just brought up calling a walleye a pickerel, who cares? Really? People on here get all bent out of shape for the strangest things... Relax people!

Gust
05-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Chain Pickerel are a trout eating menace in NB and NS that quickly dominate lakes where they are ILLEGALLY introduced by bucket biologists and annhialate the resident native trout populations,then they turn cannibal on themselves after they've eaten all the trout!!.....I hate them toothy bastids almost as much as I hate smallmouth,likely only because smb are more popular and more often introduced as an illegal alien by the bucket brigades.http://www.gnb.ca/0078/publications/ChainPickerel-e.pdf

OH NO! It's simon the zealot from New Brunswick Outdoorsmen Forum, who has somehow got the OP's original question confused with a "can we introduce a Pickerel" thread.

Off topic, but why do you fish if you detest so many non-native species,,, Alberti isn't exactly a native fish paradise? It must drive you nuts trying to fish here. Be honest, there are a few native ones that you detest too. C'mon, we're all buds on here.

Gust
05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Being half right makes you half wrong. I NEED TO KNOW the correct name as it is written in our legislation. Walleye is written in the fishery regulations whereas the p.word isnt.

Should one appear in court, the documents will show walleye as the legal name even though the fish may have been called the p.word locally. Commercial sales included.

I love it when people try to tell me what my job is!:snapoutofit:

Your job is -if your moniker is correct- is a GATOR HUNTER!!!! But by Gators you actually mean Pike I'm guessing. I'm sorry, you just set it up.

duffy4
05-05-2011, 01:47 PM

To each his own.

LOL! There is the problem. If different people are calling the same fish by different names then there may be people who do not know what you are talking about.

The problem is not so bad when the name being used are different names for the same fish and there are no other creatures that those names may apply to. Eg. walleye, eyes, yellows, wallies.

But if you use Pickerel (there is another creature called pickerel) for Walleye then there could be some real confusion.

I could ask" hey Keg, could you go to the freezer and get out some pickerel fillets for supper, they are right beside the jack fillets."

Then after you have gone I say to myself, "I hope he doesn't get confused and bring out those awful "chain pickerel" fillets that uncle John brought from Ontario last year!"

Believe it or not some people get confused and call Alberta's antelope "goats".

New Hunter Okotoks
05-05-2011, 02:39 PM
If a guy was to ask a person at Pine Coulee how did you do? Ane the person replied: "I caught 3 Pickerel." NOBODY is going to think that he caught 3 Chain Pickerel. Would it really be necessay to correct the person and say "No you caught 3 Walleye."

I call the ugliest species in Alberta a Ling. However I have heard them called: Lingcod,Burbot,Burbs,and eels. If anybody on this forum heard someone refer to the species by any of those names,they would know exactly what the person was talking.

horsetrader
05-05-2011, 03:05 PM

Oh No it's the Bass thread all over again RUN SAVE YOURSELVES....Mothers hide your daughters Cover your children's ears. Your about to hear the rantings of a man possessed by the evils of BUCKET BRIGADE..... RUN....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..................... ...............:)

chubbdarter
05-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Oh No it's the Bass thread all over again RUN SAVE YOURSELVES....Mothers hide your daughters Cover your children's ears. Your about to hear the rantings of a man possessed by the evils of BUCKET BRIGADE..... RUN....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..................... ...............:)

Stand back i got this one!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfXznngjGw

Fishfinder
05-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Stand back i got this one!!!!

Ha, I made through 43 seconds:sHa_sarcasticlol:

horsetrader
05-05-2011, 03:21 PM
:evilgrin:Stand back i got this one!!!!

mmmmm what a beautiful day..........:love0025:

did you know in that clip with the light behind Marie you can see right through her dress.......:evilgrin:

chubbdarter
05-05-2011, 03:24 PM
:evilgrin:

did you know in that clip with the light behind Marie you can see right through her dress.......:evilgrin:

hahahhahaha fishfinder is going back for another 43 seconds

horsetrader
05-05-2011, 03:25 PM

hahahaaaaa!

Speckle55
05-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Pickerel 3 differn't kinds

1) Chain Pickerel Scientific name 1)Esox niger
2) Grass Pickerel 2)Esox americannus vermiculatus
3) Redfin Pickerel 3)Esox americanus americanus

1)Walleye 1)Stizostedion vitreum

every thing else is slang in the given area where the slang is used

horsetrader
05-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Pickerel 3 differn't kinds

1) Chain Pickerel Scientific name 1)Esox niger
2) Grass Pickerel 2)Esox americannus vermiculatus
3) Redfin Pickerel 3)Esox americanus americanus

1)Walleye 1)Stizostedion vitreum

every thing else is slang in the given area where the slang is used

You forgot ....BICK'S PICKEREL..........:)

yamaha 1
05-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Even I went back for another 43 seconds after you said that, ok I didn't last that long ha :1041:

chubbdarter
05-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Even I went back for another 43 seconds after you said that, ok I didn't last that long ha :1041:

haha thats funny i dont care who you are

gatorhunter
05-05-2011, 08:54 PM
so you believe if you stand in front of a Judge in Alberta and say....' your Honour im innocent of the charge of having 20 walleye in my possesion because i call them Pickerel'......your innocent?

No cause the fish is a walleye and the evidence presented in court by an officer will show the fish to be walleye. It is up to the accused to know what he is fishing for. If the regulations show walleye, how can the accused show that he was fishing for "pickerel" when there are no pickerel in the regulations of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northwest Ontario?

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Page 24 in the Saskatchewan regs.
http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=e0c55e32-f919-470d-a220-3e07488b662d&MediaID=4537&Filename=2011+Anglers+Guide.pdf&l=English

Page 16 in the Manitoba regs.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardship/fisheries/recreation/10guide.pdf

Northwest Ontario

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/mnr_e001324.pdf

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/mnr_e001325.pdf

Do people in the know call a moose a white tail deer? "Your Honour! I've always called this animal a white tail deer which is why I thought I could legally harvest 4 of them. If I had known that a moose and a deer are different animals, I would not have killed 4 of them." An exaggeration for sure but anything can happen when it comes to people trying to get out of a charge. Why would anyone knowingly argue against something that is the legal standard? :thinking-006: Abiding by the legal standard protects everyone from straying over the legal line.

The word is WALLEYE!

Incidentally, regulations read in metric length. No sense asking an officer what 55 cm is in inches. If the regulation reads 55 cm. Get a measuring device that registers in metric.:)

chubbdarter
05-05-2011, 08:57 PM
No cause the fish is a walleye and the evidence presented in court by an officer will show the fish to be walleye. It is up to the accused to know what he is fishing for. If the regulations show walleye, how can the accused show that he was fishing for "pickerel" when there are no pickerel in the regulations of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northwest Ontario?

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Page 24 in the Saskatchewan regs.
http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=e0c55e32-f919-470d-a220-3e07488b662d&MediaID=4537&Filename=2011+Anglers+Guide.pdf&l=English

Page 16 in the Manitoba regs.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardship/fisheries/recreation/10guide.pdf

Northwest Ontario

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/mnr_e001324.pdf

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/mnr_e001325.pdf

Do people in the know call a moose a white tail deer? "Your Honour! I've always called this animal a white tail deer which is why I thought I could legally harvest 4 of them. If I had known that a moose and a deer are different animals, I would not have killed 4 of them." An exaggeration for sure but anything can happen when it comes to people trying to get out of a charge. Why would anyone knowingly argue against something that is the legal standard? :thinking-006: Abiding by the legal standard protects everyone from straying over the legal line.

The word is WALLEYE!

Incidentally, regulations read in metric length. No sense asking an officer what 55 cm is in inches. If the regulation reads 55 cm. Get a measuring device that registers in metric.:)

we must have a communication gap.....thats what fishbrain said in a smart bum way....i agreed...you said NO

Killerb
05-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Ive fished for jackfish in the ocean when my friend told me there were jackfish in albertas lakes I was like REALLY! I knew what a pike was but I thought he was messing with me when he called it jackfish. How did these nicknames start anyways. Its like calling a rainbow trout a browny.

pickrel pat
05-06-2011, 06:36 AM
im 40 years old and when i was a kid growing up in northern alberta, there were no walleye, pike, or burbot in alberta........ we had pickeral, jack, and ling.

TyreeUM
05-06-2011, 06:49 AM
haha I just laugh every time someone blows a gasket when they hear a guy call a walleye a pickerel or a northern pike a jackfish. I call them walleye and northern pike because that was what everyone called them where I was from and sure I laugh when I hear someone call them by those names, but they are no more right than any of you walleye and northern pike snobs. Every game fish has multiple common names and they are region specific, with a typical name that is more widely used which people automatically assume is the ONLY name. What if I started calling walleye perch...what would you say about that one? Or a burbot a ling cod? This thread is absolutely ridiculous, I can't believe people are fighting over common names of fish on here. If the name you call a fish is commonly accepted as a name by the region, it is a common name - therefore any name you use that would be considered acceptable for the region is correct. Don't be such an elitist.

209x50
05-06-2011, 07:11 AM
I call the ugliest species in Alberta a Ling. However I have heard them called: Lingcod,Burbot,Burbs,and eels. .
Best ever regional slang for a fish goes to Wisconsin where a ling is called a lawyer. Guess it is because they are bottom feeders.

Fishfinder
05-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Best ever regional slang for a fish goes to Wisconsin where a ling is called a lawyer. Guess it is because they are bottom feeders.

:sHa_sarcasticlol:No doubt.

Lets just call the disputed fishy a Wickeral or Palleye, or how bout Walleral er maybe Pickeye:sHa_sarcasticlol::party0052:

Big Red 250
05-06-2011, 08:11 AM

And slimy.

gatorhunter
05-06-2011, 10:50 AM
If the name you call a fish is commonly accepted as a name by the region, it is a common name - therefore any name you use that would be considered acceptable for the region is correct. Don't be such an elitist.

All I said was that there is a correct name for each specie. That name is recognized legally and is listed as such in various Provincial regulations. To prevent confusion, especially from newbies, it is better to use the correct name versus some local "common" name.

At 52 years of age, I grew up with the p.word and j.word instead of walleye and pike. As indicated by someone else, walleye and pike were names used by our friends to the south. However, after being formally educated and then working in this field it was very apparent to me that using the correct word was the appropriate thing to do.

I can also state that the last couple of generations of Manitobans have embraced the correct names of these fish species. Even some old guys like my 88 year old father call them walleye and pike!

Lakers, bows, browns, eyes, pike, etc. are all common/local names for various species but they retain a relationship to the fish's real name and specie.

Whereas pickerel are a totally different specie than walleye and jack is a salt water specie unlike pike.

This is not elitism!:confused: It's keeping things correct and simple!:)

horsetrader
05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
All I said was that there is a correct name for each specie. That name is recognized legally and is listed as such in various Provincial regulations. To prevent confusion, especially from newbies, it is better to use the correct name versus some local "common" name.

At 52 years of age, I grew up with the p.word and j.word instead of walleye and pike. As indicated by someone else, walleye and pike were names used by our friends to the south. However, after being formally educated and then working in this field it was very apparent to me that using the correct word was the appropriate thing to do.

I can also state that the last couple of generations of Manitobans have embraced the correct names of these fish species. Even some old guys like my 88 year old father call them walleye and pike!

Lakers, bows, browns, eyes, pike, etc. are all common/local names for various species but they retain a relationship to the fish's real name and specie.

Whereas pickerel are a totally different specie than walleye and jack is a salt water specie unlike pike.

Well at 54 years of age I know if someone call a fish a jack a northern or a gator he's talking about pike If he's calling a fish a pickerel a marble eye or a yellow pickerel he's talking walleye.Now you tell me is it simpler to say yes that is a nice --------- .Or is it simpler to waste both our time an get us both aggravated as we fight over the name of the fish we both know..... apparently your idea of simple is SIMPLY not the same as mine.

alodar
05-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Does anyone know of the one eyed trouser trout?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-06-2011, 11:21 AM
:evilgrin:

With that comment I watched the whole thing now im on suiside watch thanks horsetrader.

TyreeUM
05-06-2011, 01:00 PM

haha ok my point will never be made with you I guess...but "walleye" is nothing more than a "common name", it is not a "correct name" as you keep calling it. I understand the point you are trying to make but that is the whole reason scientific nomenclature exists, to have a correct name that is universally known when discussing this species. Therefore, it is elitist to say the only name you should be calling this fish is a "walleye", a common name given to the fish species with the correct name of Sander vitreus.
There is nothing "correct" about calling this fish a walleye when you are debating between several other "common" names of the same fish.

TyreeUM
05-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Sorry, i hate arguing on a fishing forum but being a fish biologist this strikes a nerve...People who call a "walleye" by whatever other common name they refer to them as are responsible for knowing that the common name chosen by the province in the regulations is the same fish.

209x50
05-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Sorry, i hate arguing on a fishing forum but being a fish biologist this strikes a nerve...People who call a "walleye" by whatever other common name they refer to them as are responsible for knowing that the common name chosen by the province in the regulations is the same fish.
Do you know of any place that calls walleye by pickeral in their regulations?

greatbruinfan
05-06-2011, 03:31 PM
A true pickel looks like a northern pike

Gust
05-06-2011, 03:38 PM

FYI. If you sell bulk pickels at a farmers market in Pittsburgh and a food inspection warden takes your pickel, throws it to the ground, and it doesn't bounce? It cannot be advertised as a pickel,, or as we say up in these parts, Pickle.

TyreeUM
05-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Do you know of any place that calls walleye by pickeral in their regulations?

no, walleye is the mostly widely used common name...that is irrelevant though as again it is a "common name", meaning a name commonly used to refer to that particular species of fish, I feel like I am taking crazy pills here...

Braun
05-06-2011, 03:56 PM
FYI. If you sell bulk pickels at a farmers market in Pittsburgh and a food inspection warden takes your pickel, throws it to the ground, and it doesn't bounce? It cannot be advertised as a pickel,, or as we say up in these parts, Pickle.

:scared::scared:

2big4u
05-06-2011, 04:00 PM
:bad_boys_20::sHa_sarcasticlol:Jack Fish

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk1Ty6px1-NPYxH01I0yKdg2R_JKSwtukP6uumvRVuLo2lx2mVKQ

Pike

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/reeltimenorthwest/northern_pike.jpg

NICE I lol'd.

Gust
05-06-2011, 04:01 PM
no, walleye is the mostly widely used common name...that is irrelevant though as again it is a "common name", meaning a name commonly used to refer to that particular species of fish, I feel like I am taking crazy pills here...

I'm starting to un-der-stand. So let's see if I got this right; our neighbor is a dip-stick and a few other neighbors have called him this too, but if you go a couple of blocks over, he's called a tool but if you ask the mailman, he said the gus name is Mike. Now I don't converse with Mike/dipstick/tool nor do many others, except the by-laws gal who must make a whopping good commission from Mikes incessant complaints about his neighbors. So is he a Mike, dipstick or tool?,,, I'm sure there are other common names? Is there a latin/greek term?

Who prescribes your crazy pills? They're always out when I go to get them.

pickrel pat
05-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm starting to un-der-stand. So let's see if I got this right; our neighbor is a dip-stick and a few other neighbors have called him this too, but if you go a couple of blocks over, he's called a tool but if you ask the mailman, he said the gus name is Mike. Now I don't converse with Mike/dipstick/tool nor do many others, except the by-laws gal who must make a whopping good commission from Mikes incessant complaints about his neighbors. So is he a Mike, dipstick or tool?,,, I'm sure there are other common names? Is there a latin/greek term?

that was a classic! i know exactly what tyee( and agree with him), is talkin about, but that..... was too funny! lol

Braun
05-06-2011, 04:11 PM

this is how you **** people off. lol. ty is only merely stating a technicality that walleye is less wrong of a name as pickerell. Just like Dipstick, tool is no less wrong than any other names but is true name is mike. hes just pointing out a technicality and anyone on here is willing to bite and argue with ty just doesnt understand what he is trying to say...... this all makes for entertainment for me........:sHa_shakeshout:

Gust
05-06-2011, 04:21 PM
this is how you **** people off. lol. ty is only merely stating a technicality that walleye is less wrong of a name as pickerell. Just like Dipstick, tool is no less wrong than any other names but is true name is mike. hes just pointing out a technicality and anyone on here is willing to bite and argue with ty just doesnt understand what he is trying to say...... this all makes for entertainment for me........:sHa_shakeshout:

I completely understand what Ty/Tyree/TyreeUM/Tyrel/Muffin is saying,,, I just find it funny that some threads hold the frontlines of the forums with the most trivial of topics and others of real importance just drift into the back pages. This is one of the most entertaining.

pickrel pat
05-06-2011, 04:23 PM
a chevy? what do you mean? is it a sub species of the chevrolet?:sHa_shakeshout:

horsetrader
05-06-2011, 04:24 PM
With that comment I watched the whole thing now im on suiside watch thanks horsetrader.

Sorry John but I just had to but don't feel bad FISHFINDER is still watching it......lol

Gust
05-06-2011, 04:26 PM
a chevy? what do you mean? is it a sub species of the chevrolet?:sHa_shakeshout:

Hey!! Chevy's have running boards and boxes that couldn't hold two flakes of a bale of hay. Real Trucks are called Chev's. Actually real trucks are called Internationals.

C'mmon Pat, seriously, duuuude.

chubbdarter
05-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Sorry John but I just had to but don't feel bad FISHFINDER is still watching it......lol

seeing as the calming effect of the original video has worn off.....i have a new version its of me singing the song and doing a slow strip tease.......and yup im wearing a thong....stop fighting or the Bug Eye video gets posted

Gust
05-06-2011, 05:00 PM
seeing as the calming effect of the original video has worn off.....i have a new version its of me singing the song and doing a slow strip tease.......and yup im wearing a thong....stop fighting or the Bug Eye video gets posted

Stop Fighting? But I just invited both Noam Chomsky and Lloyd Axeworthy to the terminology debate.

TyreeUM
05-06-2011, 05:02 PM
haha this thread is as worthless as I had a feeling it would be...bottom line - if you think everyone should use the common name "walleye" great, I will, from now on, refer to them as "golden sea biscuits"

Dust1n
05-06-2011, 05:05 PM
if your from the east you be be thinking of chain pickeral....looks like a small pike with larger spots

Gust
05-06-2011, 05:12 PM
haha this thread is as worthless as I had a feeling it would be...bottom line - if you think everyone should use the common name "walleye" great, I will, from now on, refer to them as "golden sea biscuits"

Didn't Golden Sea Biscuit have a heart as heavy as a Pork (or Pig as they say in other parts) and won the Preakness four years in a row? Classic.

Fishfinder
05-06-2011, 05:22 PM

Hey, I just can't get enough, like watching a thread go south:budo::1041:

molly09
05-06-2011, 05:22 PM
i was born in manitoba i fished on lake winnipegosis winter and summer on a commercial basis. We called them pickerel, they were also referred to as yellows. Sorry to tell you boys but the walleye is exactly the same fish. The only differnce is the color. Lake Winnipegosis is hard water, so the fish are white bellies and real green speckles. From other lakes with soft water from Sask. and Alberta and northern Man. they are a darker color but they are the same fish. The small white fish pictured in one of the threads, they have pickerel under it they are not pickerel they are what you call goldeye. Like a northern pike they are referred to by commercial fisherman as jackfish.

Donkey Oatey
05-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Yep, when Horsetrader goes to his drug dealer he always asks for pepsi.

When the dealer asked why he replied " Coke, Pepsi, whats the difference?"

molly09
05-06-2011, 06:22 PM

not so not so.///\\\

alodar
05-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Ok ive got the solution lets bucket bregade a bunch of pickerel across canada then everyone will have to use the proper names....... lol. I know some lakes in nova scotia we can get em from.......:scared0018:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickerel

walking buffalo
05-06-2011, 06:32 PM
LOL! There is the problem. If different people are calling the same fish by different names then there may be people who do not know what you are talking about.

The problem is not so bad when the name being used are different names for the same fish and there are no other creatures that those names may apply to. Eg. walleye, eyes, yellows, wallies.

But if you use Pickerel (there is another creature called pickerel) for Walleye then there could be some real confusion.

I could ask" hey Keg, could you go to the freezer and get out some pickerel fillets for supper, they are right beside the jack fillets."

Then after you have gone I say to myself, "I hope he doesn't get confused and bring out those awful "chain pickerel" fillets that uncle John brought from Ontario last year!"

Believe it or not some people get confused and call Alberta's antelope "goats".

That's as bad as calling Pronghorns "Antelope".:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Hey Duffy, You have made this comment every week for years. Did you ever think to check out the latin name for Pronghorns?

:sSig_nicethread:

horsetrader
05-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Wow no thanks I seen the copy you sent Baitfisher..............:)

horsetrader
05-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Yep, when Horsetrader goes to his drug dealer he always asks for pepsi.

When the dealer asked why he replied " Coke, Pepsi, whats the difference?"

Need some help here don't know if I'm suppose to laugh or if I'm suppose to be upset.......hmmmmmm.

chubbdarter
05-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Wow no thanks I seen the copy you sent Baitfisher..............:)

43 second mark is hot eh?????

horsetrader
05-06-2011, 07:15 PM
43 second mark is hot eh?????

:sign0068::free-scared-smileys:sign0068::kap:

209x50
05-06-2011, 07:18 PM
So calling Alces alces a moose is just a commonly used name that may not be correct? And a whitetail is not really a O. virginianus virginianus. Or is it?
Or a rose by any other name would still smell the same. LOL Have a great weekend!

pickrel pat
05-06-2011, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=GustavMahler;932433]Hey!! Chevy's have running boards and boxes that couldn't hold two flakes of a bale of hay. Real Trucks are called Chev's. Actually real trucks are called Internationals.

C'mmon Pat, seriously, duuuude.[/QUOTElmao! wasnt even talkin to you.... lol.:love0025:

chubbdarter
05-06-2011, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=GustavMahler;932433]Hey!! Chevy's have running boards and boxes that couldn't hold two flakes of a bale of hay. Real Trucks are called Chev's. Actually real trucks are called Internationals.

internationals are called Corn Binders
Dodges are Fargos

chubbdarter
05-06-2011, 08:05 PM
i got pics from lunch at hooters today....wanna compare blondes and brunettes? big and small?

horsetrader
05-06-2011, 08:07 PM
i got pics from lunch at hooters today....wanna compare blondes and brunettes? big and small?

Put yer dollar on the table.............:)

walking buffalo
05-06-2011, 09:24 PM
From the Fsheries Act (Canada) Alberta Regulations

The only legal common name for "Sander vitreus" in Alberta is Walleye.

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?text=fisheries+act++%22common+name%22 +scientific&language=en&searchTitle=Canada+%28federal%29&path=/en/ca/laws/regu/sor-98-246/latest/sor-98-246.html

Someone else can jump in here as to why Alberta lists the latin name for Walleye as "Sander vitreus" while other provinces and territoies use the latin name "Stizostedion vitreum". I'd rather be fishing..

Donkey Oatey
05-06-2011, 09:30 PM
From the Fsheries Act (Canada) Alberta Regulations

The only legal common name for "Sander vitreus" in Alberta is Walleye.

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?text=fisheries+act++%22common+name%22 +scientific&language=en&searchTitle=Canada+%28federal%29&path=/en/ca/laws/regu/sor-98-246/latest/sor-98-246.html

Someone else can jump in here as to why Alberta lists the latin name for Walleye as "Sander vitreus" while other provinces and territoies use the latin name "Stizostedion vitreum". I'd rather be fishing..

Recently changed the latin name to Sander vitreus for walleye to reflect European ancestry. http://www.seattlefishnm.com/products/factsheets/walleye/

WayneChristie
05-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Recently changed the latin name to Sander vitreus for walleye to reflect European ancestry. http://www.seattlefishnm.com/products/factsheets/walleye/

darn, here I went to skool for yeers to speek latin and all for naught.

gatorhunter
05-06-2011, 09:55 PM
haha ok my point will never be made with you I guess...but "walleye" is nothing more than a "common name", it is not a "correct name" as you keep calling it. I understand the point you are trying to make but that is the whole reason scientific nomenclature exists, to have a correct name that is universally known when discussing this species. Therefore, it is elitist to say the only name you should be calling this fish is a "walleye", a common name given to the fish species with the correct name of Sander vitreus.

There is nothing "correct" about calling this fish a walleye when you are debating between several other "common" names of the same fish.

And you keep missing the forest because of the trees! I posted provincial regulations that specify walleye. They don't say pickerel. Why is that he wonders aloud? Simple, walleye are the fish that are caught in those provinces, not pickerel!

There's a difference between using some local slang as opposed to misleading people as to the correct name of a fish specie. Our Lake Winnipeg walleyes are very well known to anglers as "greenbacks!" However, ppl know that they are walleye, not pickerel. Whereas, it appears that some AO members would rather live in the past and be left behind instead of trying to keep up with the times.

To quote your scientific name; sander vitreum, show us where that is the scientific name for pickerel.

Keep calling them pickerel if you want. Just don't look dumbfounded when people in the know give you the, "Where did this guy learn his fish?" look!

gatorhunter
05-06-2011, 09:59 PM

Other Canadian jurisdictions have accepted sander vitreum as the scientific name for walleye.

horsetrader
05-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Keep calling them pickerel if you want. Just don't look dumbfounded when people in the know give you the, "Where did this guy learn his fish?" look![/QUOTE]

But would you not think if these people ARE IN THE KNOW if he says pickerel should they not know he is talking about walleye......hmmmmm.....:)

jpietrzak1979
05-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Some people also call them EYES, hmm i like that.

I just call them supper!

chubbdarter
05-06-2011, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=horsetrader; I'm pretty sure it's not normal for a person to count their wins buy some one else's failures....

i just had to reuse that.....lol

gatorhunter
05-06-2011, 10:46 PM
But would you not think if these people ARE IN THE KNOW if he says pickerel should they not know he is talking about walleye......hmmmmm.....:)

Quote: "Whereas, it appears that some AO members would rather live in the past and be left behind instead of trying to keep up with the times."

Starting to think that there are a lot more liberals on this forum than we are led to believe!

Let go of the past! Catch up to the present and move ahead into the future!

horsetrader
05-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Quote: "Whereas, it appears that some AO members would rather live in the past and be left behind instead of trying to keep up with the times."

Starting to think that there are a lot more liberals on this forum than we are led to believe!

Let go of the past! Catch up to the present and move ahead into the future!

How do you figure we are living in the past we know what we are fishing for we know what the fish are no mater what name people use.You seem to be the one that can't tell what a fish is unless it is called by the name you know. Maybe you need to be re-educated ................:)

Big Red 250
05-08-2011, 10:08 AM
So, what happened to gatorhunter the C.O. from Manitoba. Maybe he went back to study up on "The history of the Walleye". He pulls off the same thing on the other boards that he frequents, always telling everyone how wrong they are.

WayneChristie
05-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I used a pickeral rig today, one of the rare occasions I have used one, and all I caught was a bunch of frikkin walleyes!!!! I want my money back!:angry3:

alodar
05-08-2011, 06:04 PM
I used a pickeral rig today, one of the rare occasions I have used one, and all I caught was a bunch of frikkin walleyes!!!! I want my money back!:angry3:

:bad_boys_20::angry3::bad_boys_20:

WayneChristie
05-08-2011, 06:17 PM
:bad_boys_20::angry3::bad_boys_20:

nooo its :oregonian_winesmile:oregonian_winesmile: :sHa_sarcasticlol:

alodar
05-08-2011, 06:25 PM
nooo its :oregonian_winesmile:oregonian_winesmile: :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ohhhhh so its:1041::1041::sEm_oops2::happy0180::sign0014:

WayneChristie
05-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Ohhhhh so its:1041::1041::sEm_oops2::happy0180::sign0014:

all I wanted was a pike! :mad0030:

209x50
05-08-2011, 07:16 PM
A pickeral rig gets its name from the term the english used for still fishing - pickeral.

alodar
05-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Am i the only one that noticed in one of the pdfs gator posted links to that it said "walleye(pickerel)" and "northern pike(jackfish)" not that i approve of the name but did he not say that it was not printed in any regs so the name is not correct? Or something along. Those lines

alodar
05-08-2011, 09:18 PM
No cause the fish is a walleye and the evidence presented in court by an officer will show the fish to be walleye. It is up to the accused to know what he is fishing for. If the regulations show walleye, how can the accused show that he was fishing for "pickerel" when there are no pickerel in the regulations of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northwest Ontario?.

Oh here it is.

Also the reg excerpt im referring to is the one named 10guide.pdf page 5 of 17

muzzy
05-08-2011, 09:27 PM
I grew up in Manitoba and had a fair stint in Northern Ontario and we always called walleye a pickeral Interesting though one of the all time favourite lures for catching a " walleye" is a pickeral rig Go figure!!

Gord

gatorhunter
05-08-2011, 11:02 PM
He pulls off the same thing on the other boards that he frequents, always telling everyone how wrong they are.

Fortunately many, many people over the years have thanked me for correcting wrong information.

To say that I'm always telling people how wrong they are is totally incorrect. If I've made it a point to highlight a mistake then it's because the person is wrong. Luckily, resource users know the laws pretty well so I don't "tell EVERYONE how wrong they are!"

I could easily stay off these forums and let people continue to think they are stating fact or worse, someone who doesn't know better, take that wrong information as fact. But that's not how I roll.

Whether it's a phone call to the office, coffee shop banter or internet forums, education is education. If I see something wrong, I'll try to fix it. I want to make sure that people are getting the right information and from a credible source. Not an opinion from anonymous internet cowboys who could care less if they steer people wrong.

Whether you agree with me is immaterial. My contributions to outdoor forums with reference to real or legal situations are supported by the laws that govern our resources. While there may be reference to some fish by a local name in the recreational fishing guides, regulatory language speaks to the legally recognized name; walleye, northern pike, the trouts, perch, whitefish, etc.:) Tight lines!

grinr
05-08-2011, 11:05 PM
OH NO! It's simon the zealot from New Brunswick Outdoorsmen Forum, who has somehow got the OP's original question confused with a "can we introduce a Pickerel" thread.

Off topic, but why do you fish if you detest so many non-native species,,, Alberti isn't exactly a native fish paradise? It must drive you nuts trying to fish here. Be honest, there are a few native ones that you detest too. C'mon, we're all buds on here.

....wutever,jest sayin,pickerel,REAL pickerel,that being Chain Pickerel,are another invasive menace in the Maritimes that are for some reason popular with the environmental terrorist,warmwater bucket brigade crowd.Possibly because they are a stupidly easy to catch eating machine and will hit anything you throw at them that they can wrap their toothy mouths around and then some,from trout flies to newborn ducklings and everything in between.FWIW,Chain Pickerel are in fact native to NB....SMB are NOT.The only thing I "detest" is the morons that spread these invasives around from one watershed to another to the detrement of my beloved salmonids.I don't actually detest any species,I just wish the idiots would leave them where they belong and stop trying to create new "fisheries for dummies" that don't have the skill or patience to angle for more challenging,spirited fish.The initial explosive,topwater strike of Chain Picks is actually kinda fun,but within a few seconds they are played out and have all the spirit and fight of a snagged beaver stick.:rolleyes:

wutever :rolleyes:

chubbdarter
05-08-2011, 11:10 PM
caught a bunch of fish that had a spiney back and big mouths with pretty bigteeth today. Kinda browny yellow in color with white tipped fins. Got alot from the boat near a island and quite a few from shore point when the wind got bad.
im guessing they were Pickerel

horsetrader
05-09-2011, 12:17 AM
caught a bunch of fish that had a spiney back and big mouths with pretty bigteeth today. Kinda browny yellow in color with white tipped fins. Got alot from the boat near a island and quite a few from shore point when the wind got bad.
im guessing they were Pickerel

Nope I think your wrong Chubb that sound like those durn "BASS" you know that invasive creature that is just eating up every fish in NB and NS. Oh they are the most dangerous thing on the earth they have all most single handedly destroyed the fishing industry on the east cost I hear their going after the whales next. Their just waiting for the "environmental terrorist warm water bucket brigade" to load them up in their home depot pails and carry them to the Atlantic Ocean.At least I think that's what some guy was trying to say ...Who knows. Maybe your right their just Pickerel.

Caper28
05-09-2011, 07:55 AM
....wutever,jest sayin,pickerel,REAL pickerel,that being Chain Pickerel,are another invasive menace in the Maritimes that are for some reason popular with the environmental terrorist,warmwater bucket brigade crowd.Possibly because they are a stupidly easy to catch eating machine and will hit anything you throw at them that they can wrap their toothy mouths around and then some,from trout flies to newborn ducklings and everything in between.FWIW,Chain Pickerel are in fact native to NB....SMB are NOT.The only thing I "detest" is the morons that spread these invasives around from one watershed to another to the detrement of my beloved salmonids.I don't actually detest any species,I just wish the idiots would leave them where they belong and stop trying to create new "fisheries for dummies" that don't have the skill or patience to angle for more challenging,spirited fish.The initial explosive,topwater strike of Chain Picks is actually kinda fun,but within a few seconds they are played out and have all the spirit and fight of a snagged beaver stick.:rolleyes:

wutever :rolleyes:

Grinr, your preaching on the wrong site to people who don't understand or care as long as they have something to catch.

grinr
05-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Grinr, your preaching on the wrong site to people who don't understand or care as long as they have something to catch.

:happy0180::wave: