PDA

View Full Version : Utikima or Slave

hockey1099
05-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Does anyone know if the ice is off at Utikima? I wanna go fishing there this weekend.

Failing that

Does anyone have a report on the ice at slave? If it is mostly gone im willing to take the three hour drive to see if i can float a boat at Utikima

Smokercraft
05-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Havn't seen for sure myself, but I highly doubt it.

When we were there at the end of march we had to shovel the snow away just so we could get through all the ice with the auger.

Even with the snow shovelled we were burrying the auger, acutally had to wrap it in a plastic bag 'cause it kept getting wet and freezing.

Sounds like you've been there before, but if not, you can't drop a large boat into Utikima, small alums only - no launch and plenty of sand bars/shallow spots.

Mike_W
05-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know if the ice is off at Utikima? I wanna go fishing there this weekend.

Failing that

Does anyone have a report on the ice at slave? If it is mostly gone im willing to take the three hour drive to see if i can float a boat at Utikima

FYI Slave is closed until the 20th of May.....most lakes besides potholes are.....as always ...check your regs.

Shmag
05-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Slave lake ice should be gone by May long weekend...with any luck

hockey1099
05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
FYI Slave is closed until the 20th of May.....most lakes besides potholes are.....as always ...check your regs.

I know it's closed but it's close to utikima. As such if it's clear utikima has a good chance of being fishable.

Ukutima isn't a lake most people drive by regularly but slave is. I'm just trying to figure out the ice north of edmonton

hockey1099
05-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Havn't seen for sure myself, but I highly doubt it.

When we were there at the end of march we had to shovel the snow away just so we could get through all the ice with the auger.

Even with the snow shovelled we were burrying the auger, acutally had to wrap it in a plastic bag 'cause it kept getting wet and freezing.

Sounds like you've been there before, but if not, you can't drop a large boat into Utikima, small alums only - no launch and plenty of sand bars/shallow spots.

I was there mid march. The ice was deep and the snow made it difficult to get around. I can't drop my boat in but my buddy has a 12 aluminum that we carry on the top of his truck. We can put that boat in anywhere

hogsmoker
05-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I don't think you will be boat fishing Utikima for a while, a bunch of my friends were ice fishing it on the 22nd and 26th of April. Drove on with quads to the small island.

Willowtrail
05-05-2011, 05:59 PM
I spent the week out at Lac Ste Anne and worked at Wabamun. Both still have lots of ice and only a bit of water. Should be at least another week.

My guess would be a no go on Utikima

Cal
05-05-2011, 06:30 PM
I know it's closed but it's close to utikima. As such if it's clear utikima has a good chance of being fishable.

Ukutima isn't a lake most people drive by regularly but slave is. I'm just trying to figure out the ice north of edmonton

I can see utikima from where I work, possibly around some of the tributarys you might find enough open water to soak a smelt but the rest of it is icebound. The ice comes off Slave Lake slower than Utikima and is probably not a good gauge, but both are a few weeks away from losing their ice right now.

greylynx
05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
On the east shore of Slave, I figure ice will be piling up to the long weekend.

It takes a while for things to thaw in this area.

Elkaholic523
05-06-2011, 08:50 AM
I drove past utikama No open water yet