PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Family Fishing Vancouver Island

dennisb
05-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Anyone know of a family resort that offers both accomodations and boat rentals for salmon fishing. It appears that Mills Landing in Bamfield does not offer the boat rentals anymore. Any help would be greatly appreceated...My kids are all over me to go salmon fishing.

BGSH
05-05-2011, 01:42 PM
it depends where on the coast did you want to go, like on vancouver island or queen charlettes?

Walleyes
05-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Have you ever fished for salmon before ??? this is the big question.. If you haven't then I wouldn't bother renting. I am not sure if you realize it or not but salmon fishing isn't like pike fishing,, you just don't go there an toss a line in the water and get fish its a bit more technical than that. There is species targeted, time of year, where are you going to be in accordance to that time of year,, lots of stuff to consider.. And the gear involved is mucho denero to start from scratch. If its just a day trip you are into and want to slam a few fish I would seriously consider getting a guide for the day in the long run it will be way cheaper. If you want I can put you onto some good fellows that will put you on fish and it will be very affordable..

BGSH
05-05-2011, 03:37 PM
island outfitters in Victoria b.c is great or if you go to the queen charlettes west coast fishing resort is also great.

Speckle55
05-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Port Alberni they have a couple of marina,s one in town and one further down channel.. u should be able to go online and see the marina's they have guides in town i know that.. and Tofino should have boat rentals too..Flasher /hoochie or cut herring .. July- Sockeye then August -Chinook and Coho's but check with marina's:sign0111:David

Jwood 456
05-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I find that one of the best places to Salmon fish on the Island is Port Hardy. Port Hardy is a fairly remote and seemingly quaint community. Port Hardy is located at the entrance of queen Charlotte strait where much of the Salmon from the open ocean flood in. As for if you want to target halibut, there is usually 200+lb halibut caught there anually. There is this book you can get on Amazon named "Island Salmon Fisherman" that is on sale. There is also a simular book on Amazon named "Island Halibut Fisherman". Both books provide very detailed info on exact spots and depths to try at certain times of the days and different times of the year. The books also provides detailed info on what exact lures and bait to use as well and also the typical weather conditions at different times of the years for salmon and halibut fishing.

I hear that Port Hardy also has alot of boat rental places as well and the fishing can be so good there that it would be fairly likely to catch rockfish right off of the public dock.

Heres the links to the two books.

http://www.amazon.ca/Island-Salmon-Fisherman-Vancouver-Hotspots/dp/1550174258/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1304641216&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.ca/Island-Halibut-Fisherman-Robert-Jones/dp/1550174142/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304641250&sr=1-1

dennisb
05-05-2011, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE][/Walleyes Have you ever fished for salmon before ??? this is the big question.. If you haven't then I wouldn't bother renting. I am not sure if you realize it or not but salmon fishing isn't like pike fishing,, you just don't go there an toss a line in the water and get fish its a bit more technical than that. There is species targeted, time of year, where are you going to be in accordance to that time of year,, lots of stuff to consider.. And the gear involved is mucho denero to start from scratch. If its just a day trip you are into and want to slam a few fish I would seriously consider getting a guide for the day in the long run it will be way cheaper. If you want I can put you onto some good fellows that will put you on fish and it will be very affordable.. QUOTE]

ALL I want to know is if anyone knows of anyone where a guy can rent a place to stay and a boat to salmon fish on Vancouver Island. As stated in my first post, my usual place dosent offer the boat rentals anymore.

chubbdarter
05-05-2011, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE][/Walleyes Have you ever fished for salmon before ??? this is the big question.. If you haven't then I wouldn't bother renting. I am not sure if you realize it or not but salmon fishing isn't like pike fishing,, you just don't go there an toss a line in the water and get fish its a bit more technical than that. There is species targeted, time of year, where are you going to be in accordance to that time of year,, lots of stuff to consider.. And the gear involved is mucho denero to start from scratch. If its just a day trip you are into and want to slam a few fish I would seriously consider getting a guide for the day in the long run it will be way cheaper. If you want I can put you onto some good fellows that will put you on fish and it will be very affordable.. QUOTE]

ALL I want to know is if anyone knows of anyone where a guy can rent a place to stay and a boat to salmon fish on Vancouver Island. As stated in my first post, my usual place dosent offer the boat rentals anymore.

call Murphys Sportfishing , dave or marilyn will help you...good people

Walleyes
05-05-2011, 08:16 PM

Ooops got it now bud,,, sorry kind of miss read it the first time.. Just wanted to make sure you knew.. We get lots of people on here that don't quite understand what salmon fishing is all about.

Good luck on your search.

Tofinofish
05-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Port Alberni they have a couple of marina,s one in town and one further down channel.. u should be able to go online and see the marina's they have guides in town i know that.. and Tofino should have boat rentals too..Flasher /hoochie or cut herring .. July- Sockeye then August -Chinook and Coho's but check with marina's:sign0111:David

Speckle,
Tofino doesn't have any bare boat rentals, only guided.

BGSH
05-17-2011, 11:34 PM
you can catch monster ling cod,rock cod, and salmon as well as sea run citthroat on the break water in Victoria B.C its a long wall that goes into the ocean a far ways out and is awsome for fishing, dont need a boat just a b.c fishing licence, talk to island outfiiters based in victoria, maby they can help you, phone number is (250) 475-4969

Mark
05-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I rented a boat from them (http://www.seabeamcanada.ca/) years ago. They were OK.... boat floated, motor worked....... kinda of old...... but its served the purposed.
Should add that I had fished for a number of years off Bamfield and Tofino with my own boat. Quite experience with running a boat and the area.
CAUTION IS MANDATORY IF YOU'RE NOT FAMILAR WITH THE WEST COAST OR THE WATER OFF BAMFIELD!!!!!! LOTS OF FOG, BIG WAVES!!!!
EXCERCISE EXTREME CAUTION!!!!
If you're not really experienced, I'd highly recommend a guide. The area is not very forgiving and there are lots of boats in the area, so the ability to handle the boat in rough and tight situation is mandotory.

browning375
05-19-2011, 09:02 AM
It is getting pretty tough to find a place that will rent a boat that runs in the Ocean. Insurance costs and liability have pushed almost everyone out of the business.

My father had a few Boston Whalers he use to rent out of Nanoose Bay a few years ago. Insurance costs and the chance of being sued if the boat has a problem out in the water was way to much to deal with so he sold everything. It's totally different renting a boat for a lake compared to renting a boat for Ocean use, to many things can happen quickly on the Ocean.

If you ask Tofinofish he probably can hook you up for a descent price to take your family out for a good trip. That would me my choice of guides on the Island. Serengetti Charters out of Port Hardy is another great place, plus they have a lodge right there as well.

858king
05-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Just a thought but Campbell River mid-July through mid-August has pink salmon along the beach and in the river, all easy from shore. Fun herd fishing.

Perhaps consider simply running an add on the island asking to rent/buy a 14 ft aluminum for X days; transfer title to eliminate liability, use the boat, and then sell the boat back to it's original owner at a loss.

You buy boat for $2000, write a contract to sell the boat back to the owner in 6 days for $1600; if it sinks you're out $2000 and the dude's lost his boat; if it don't, you're out $400 and call it a rental.

Then fish Campbell River south of the Narrows, Moutcha Bay at Gold River, etc...just half sheltered water.

Scott h
05-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Have a look at Salmonboats.ca . I have never used them but I do have the identical boat set up with the same power and love it for fishing offshore in the Charlottes. I have looked at their site numerous times and thought they had a good product that is under represented.