PDA

View Full Version : fishing with your dog

alodar
05-06-2011, 11:36 AM
So I had my little pal fishing woth me yesterday and she went wild swimming running a muck chasing and being chased by another dog and excavating the riverside she dug several mouse/mole/gopher holes that she cant hardly walk today or last night. Anyone else take their pooches fishing and have some stories

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Nope after a few years ago when I took my husky out fishing and she stole all my fish I was gonna keep for shore lunch I dont take her no more . And far to much trouble for her to get into . She can stay home and be safe . Not to mention its always nice to come home to her as shes so excited to see me . Those are my thoughts anyway .

alodar
05-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Nope after a few years ago when I took my husky out fishing and she stole all my fish I was gonna keep for shore lunch I dont take her no more . And far to much trouble for her to get into . She can stay home and be safe . Not to mention its always nice to come home to her as shes so excited to see me . Those are my thoughts anyway .

yes john your dog is a beauty and white to top it off not black and tan like mine as u know mine just loves going out she also gets mad at me when i dont take her but i doubt shell be able to come for a while she hardly moved all day so far lying down in my chair didnt even wanna go in the yard.

05-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Well If you were running around like a chicken with its head cut off , and swimming in that cold water , then digging to china im sure youd be tired to . I sure as know I would . Hell Im warn out after Fishing everyday this week . But im waiting to see what this weathers gonna do , shes very cloudy right now . So Ill nurse my coffee and sit on here . OOOOOO looks like the suns pokeing its face out agian . Man Im so sun burnt .

mooseknuckle
05-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Yeah I occasionally bringmy little guy "Timmy" out on the boat. The only annoying thing is he likes to get wet and the hull is too deep for him to get back in himself. A very small in-convienience just have to reach over the side and haul him in 10-12 times a day. Maybe I should just start usung the net?? Kidding of course.

For shore fishing down at the river I don't trust him enough yet not to take off. Suppose I could bring his anchor and rope we will see.

flygirrl
05-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Yup, I keep threatining to bring my friends Chiwawa and use for pike bait:scared0018:

alodar
05-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Yup, I keep threatining to bring my friends Chiwawa and use for pike bait:scared0018:

Hahaha now thats not very nice lol

alodar
05-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah I occasionally bringmy little guy "Timmy" out on the boat. The only annoying thing is he likes to get wet and the hull is too deep for him to get back in himself. A very small in-convienience just have to reach over the side and haul him in 10-12 times a day. Maybe I should just start usung the net?? Kidding of course.

For shore fishing down at the river I don't trust him enough yet not to take off. Suppose I could bring his anchor and rope we will see.

my dog has the same issue on boats shes jumped outta each boat shes been in

05-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Hahaha now thats not very nice lol

Sure it is , I always thought them little Ankle bitters were ment for bait . Its to bad not everyone sees it fit to have a real dog rather then a shoe sized dog . I think that new 10 ft rod of mine would cast one out no issues , wouldnt even need any weight to get it out there .

mooseknuckle
05-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Sure it is , I always thought them little Ankle bitters were ment for bait . Its to bad not everyone sees it fit to have a real dog rather then a shoe sized dog . I think that new 10 ft rod of mine would cast one out no issues , wouldnt even need any weight to get it out there .

Well if "Timmy" leaves anymore suprises on my living room floor we may have to test out that theory John. LOL.

baitfisher83
05-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Now now you know Michelle is the only one who has pike bait on 4 legs.

Well if "Timmy" leaves anymore suprises on my living room floor we may have to test out that theory John. LOL.

Ive got some # 10 hooks from when I was out on the west coast for Halibut .

alodar

Hahaha i hate those little presents

05-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Now now you know Michelle is the only one who has pike bait on 4 legs.

No that dog is my friend . LEAVE IT ALONE .http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/2097c37a.jpg

baitfisher83
05-06-2011, 12:29 PM
That dog is everyone's friend..lol

pickrel pat
05-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Nope after a few years ago when I took my husky out fishing and she stole all my fish I was gonna keep for shore lunch I dont take her no more . And far to much trouble for her to get into . She can stay home and be safe . Not to mention its always nice to come home to her as shes so excited to see me . Those are my thoughts anyway .thats to bad.....my dog went with me everywhere. its amazing what you can teach a dog if you spend some time with it. my dog had its bumps and what not at first, but i didnt give up on it that easy. she eventually learned to keep out of trouble (because i spent some time with her ), and im sure she would thank me if she were still alive for not locking her at home while i spent a nice day at the river.

jpohlic
05-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I used to do a lot of jeeping out at Waiparous and one weekend I went up to Margaret Lake and took the dog, fly rod and float tube.

I was alone in the middle of the lake casting dries at the picky trout, watching Pee-J run laps around the lake. He'd run 4 or 5 laps over the course of an hour or two and then lay down on the shore for a break. I had my back to him, lost in my own little world, and after a while I could hear this panting/splashing sound. I turned around and there he was, swimming out to meet me in the middle. The look on his face said "I'm exhausted - get me out of here!!!", so I grabbed his harness and hauled him onto my float tube. Of course, he had to shake a few times to dry off a bit - there's nothing like getting dog water shot point blank in your face, and then he had to turn around a few times before laying down and getting comfortable.

So, I switched to a brown wooly worm and trolled back to shore with the britt on my lap, fly rod in one hand, beer in the other. I got about 50 feet from shore, still in about 15 feet of water when I finally hooked my first fish of the day. The fun didn't really start until I got it to my float tube. The dog started going nuts, standing up, tail going 100 miles an hour (right in my face), bouncing from one foot to the next, sniffing the fish and poking the poor trout with his nose while I attempted to remove the deeply set hook without hurting it, dropping my pliers into the lake, spilling my beer or tipping over in my float tube.

I finally got the hook out, gave Pee-J one last close up look at a trout and released the fish. Well, the dog jumped off the float tube into the water and swam around, sticking his head under and looking for that damn fish. At least he didn't get tangled in my fly line or spill my cold one.

I haven't taken him fishing much since then but what I wouldn't give to have a photo of that moment.

05-06-2011, 12:40 PM
thats to bad.....my dog went with me everywhere. its amazing what you can teach a dog if you spend some time with it. my dog had its bumps and what not at first, but i didnt give up on it that easy. she eventually learned to keep out of trouble (because i spent some time with her ), and im sure she would thank me if she were still alive for not locking her at home while i spent a nice day at the river.

I spend lots of time with her , but its nice to have time away to . She thinks everyone , and every dog needs to be her friend , and pulls out the old Izralli war cry every time she doesnt get her way . Shes far to much of a suck . I take her camping with me , but shes a stay on leash kinda dog . Other wise she would be gone . Shes got a 7 ft fensed yard for a reason . One time when she was a pup took her to Long lake for a week camping , she broke her harnis , and she went running to chase ducks . Id sware she was a lab the amount she loves water . Maybe this year ill try her agian ice fishing . But for now she can stay home .

Heres some pictures of her .

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/kai.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/toastandkai.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/189.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/38761c8a.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/92c141a8.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/kai4.jpg

FishingMOM
05-06-2011, 12:47 PM

Don't feel bad I told stinky I was going to use him for Shark bait.

You think dogs are bad, fish with toddlers...... they get into everything

Reeves1
05-06-2011, 12:53 PM
fishing with your dog

Big bait = big fish :evilgrin:

vettedreamer
05-06-2011, 01:30 PM
thats to bad.....my dog went with me everywhere. its amazing what you can teach a dog if you spend some time with it. my dog had its bumps and what not at first, but i didnt give up on it that easy. she eventually learned to keep out of trouble (because i spent some time with her ), and im sure she would thank me if she were still alive for not locking her at home while i spent a nice day at the river.

here HEAR!!!!!!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa _shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

tacklerunner
05-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Fish with mine all the time. She's too small to jump out of the boat though. (all of 8 pounds) Flyfishing she's attached to my belt with a 15 foot leash & is a good climber. Icefishing I have to watch out for WayneChristie though cuz he will use her for bait.
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/IMG_0763.jpg
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/IMG_0527.jpg

alodar
05-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Great pics guys bbj love tye cat and dog pic haha some good tales here keep em coming

mszomola
05-06-2011, 02:09 PM
I take my whippet fishing ,

shes perfect for this , as she will lay in the sun all day sleeping .

Fun story , first time i had taken her she was perfect all day. Then i could tell she was getting antsy to leave when i got close to land. To my suprise she jumped into the water , took a leak on shore and jumped back into the boat without a word.

She's been my fill in partner on many occasions !

alodar
05-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Im trying to upload a pic of my scamp but having issues

alodar
05-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Here we go
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/santacruz_album/utf-8BMjg1OTNfMzkzMzE4NjE4MTU2XzUxMDEzMzE1Nl80MzU3ODc1 Xzc3OTY0MF9uLmpwZw.jpg

theycallmeNoah
05-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I spend lots of time with her , but its nice to have time away to . She thinks everyone , and every dog needs to be her friend , and pulls out the old Izralli war cry every time she doesnt get her way . Shes far to much of a suck . I take her camping with me , but shes a stay on leash kinda dog . Other wise she would be gone . Shes got a 7 ft fensed yard for a reason . One time when she was a pup took her to Long lake for a week camping , she broke her harnis , and she went running to chase ducks . Id sware she was a lab the amount she loves water . Maybe this year ill try her agian ice fishing . But for now she can stay home .

Heres some pictures of her .

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/kai.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/toastandkai.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/189.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/38761c8a.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/92c141a8.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/kai4.jpg

She's beautiful!!!!!!

walking buffalo
05-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Coco always comes fishing with me. When she is not cooling off, she is watching my back. Never have any bear issues with her around. And she has helped retrieve a few stubborn fish. :)

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC01184.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC01135.jpg

FishingMOM
05-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Icefishing I have to watch out for WayneChristie though cuz he will use her for bait.
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/IMG_0527.jpg

If that is the big bad Wayne Christie..... oh my.
I am sure you can take him anytime on or off the ice. :sHa_sarcasticlol::scared0018:

Gust
05-06-2011, 03:01 PM
On a professional day when I was in High School, two friends and I decided to go to Keho and my Dad opted for hitting the Canal at the North end of Macgregor. Keho was good but we were wondering how my Dad was fairing (pre cellphone days), so we packed up and head to MacGreg. It was one of those stunning Fall days, that certain deeper blue sky and the wheatfield at peak golden glory, a slight wind,, very "Have You Seen The Wind". We parked and walked to where my Dad was sitting on the bank, his rod in front of him and our Border Collie Bonny (an abused dog that we adopted), sitting beside him, it was a Field & Stream postcard. when she first came home, she would cower in the closet and it took about a month to understand that she was in a better home. She was loyal to a tee, no fence was needed, she greeted everyone and sat proud on the front doorstep and loved going fishing.

One of my friends had never been to the canal and asked what the sound was and I pointed towards the weir. So off he went to check it out and Bonny followed him. She lost her footing a bit further up and tumbled into the flow, then over the weir and then resurfaced downsteam about 50 yards and then started drifting mid-stream back towards the weir. My friend was yelling for us to come quick, the weir drowned out his yelling but he sounded urgent.

Bonny was never within reach of the net, she'd go under, re-surface 50 yards downsteam and it happened again and again. At one point, as if reaching, I managed to get her paw into the netting and tried to tangle it up so I could drag her within reach but the undertow ripped her away and under she went. She finally re-surfaced and with such sadness in her face succumbed to the undertow and vanished.

My Dad just walked away got into his car and drove away. We packed up his gear and tried to keep up with him. When I got home my Mom asked if it were a joke but all I could say was "she drowned".

My Dad sobbed for almost 4 months straight, lost weight, let himself go,, we bring up the other days of Bonny, not that day. It was a dog neighborhood, and we were treated as if we lost a family member which we did.

Be careful near that weir, 3 CO's drowned in front of about 100 people, when their boat got caught in the backflow.

A month after the incident, my Dad went out there and walked both shores and found her body and brought her home to bury.

Scotty P.
05-06-2011, 03:10 PM

tacklerunner
05-06-2011, 03:26 PM
If that is the big bad Wayne Christie..... oh my.
I am sure you can take him anytime on or off the ice. :sHa_sarcasticlol::scared0018:

Nah that's my nephew with his first pike and the little white one is the "pike magnet" as Wayne refers to her.

Dogs are great company so why not share our greatest moments fishing with them. She doesn't even flinch anymore when I catch a fish. In fact she stares me in the eyes and tilts her head and make the Tim the Toolman sound when I'm getting skunked. Almost to say "what the hecks wrong with you today??? You sit here in the cold and drive or hike this far and drag me with you and go to all this work and you can't catch anything?"

tacklerunner
05-06-2011, 03:31 PM
On a professional day when I was in High School, two friends and I decided to go to Keho and my Dad opted for hitting the Canal at the North end of Macgregor. Keho was good but we were wondering how my Dad was fairing (pre cellphone days), so we packed up and head to MacGreg. It was one of those stunning Fall days, that certain deeper blue sky and the wheatfield at peak golden glory, a slight wind,, very "Have You Seen The Wind". We parked and walked to where my Dad was sitting on the bank, his rod in front of him and our Border Collie Bonny (an abused dog that we adopted), sitting beside him, it was a Field & Stream postcard. when she first came home, she would cower in the closet and it took about a month to understand that she was in a better home. She was loyal to a tee, no fence was needed, she greeted everyone and sat proud on the front doorstep and loved going fishing.

One of my friends had never been to the canal and asked what the sound was and I pointed towards the weir. So off he went to check it out and Bonny followed him. She lost her footing a bit further up and tumbled into the flow, then over the weir and then resurfaced downsteam about 50 yards and then started drifting mid-stream back towards the weir. My friend was yelling for us to come quick, the weir drowned out his yelling but he sounded urgent.

Bonny was never within reach of the net, she'd go under, re-surface 50 yards downsteam and it happened again and again. At one point, as if reaching, I managed to get her paw into the netting and tried to tangle it up so I could drag her within reach but the undertow ripped her away and under she went. She finally re-surfaced and with such sadness in her face succumbed to the undertow and vanished.

My Dad just walked away got into his car and drove away. We packed up his gear and tried to keep up with him. When I got home my Mom asked if it were a joke but all I could say was "she drowned".

My Dad sobbed for almost 4 months straight, lost weight, let himself go,, we bring up the other days of Bonny, not that day. It was a dog neighborhood, and we were treated as if we lost a family member which we did.

Be careful near that weir, 3 CO's drowned in front of about 100 people, when their boat got caught in the backflow.

A month after the incident, my Dad went out there and walked both shores and found her body and brought her home to bury.

That story put a lump in my throat. Thanks for sharing.

alodar
05-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Truly a sad story thanks for shareing im sure it was a hard time i could not imagine that happening to my girl

alodar
05-06-2011, 04:01 PM

Beauty pooch

Scotty P.
05-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Beauty pooch

Thank you!

theycallmeNoah
05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
That story put a lump in my throat. Thanks for sharing.

I'm crying like a baby. What a sad,sad,sad story.

Gust
05-06-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm crying like a baby. What a sad,sad,sad story.

Some nights I dream that she's coming to visit me, I love those dreams and I always wake up all wet with tears. 30 years this September.

When we'd all go to bed for the night (and she knew that she was in a good home) she would go to everyones room to make sure they were there and sound,, she'd touch your face with her cold nose, then she'd bed down. If I were late coming home, she'd be there at the door teetering from tiredness for waiting for me. She was a real gem.

WillyOneStyle
05-06-2011, 05:39 PM

This is Lily, She will tag along but will not go into more than a few inches of water.

slingshotz
05-06-2011, 09:51 PM
This is Lily, She will tag along but will not go into more than a few inches of water.

Must be a collie thing, my collie I had as a kid hated the water too. My new dog Luna is not a huge fan of the water either and must have some collie in her.

I go out with her all the time fly fishing when I can. The only annoying thing is that she wants to be in the water too when I'm wading deep and can't understand that the reason she is shivering is cause of the 2C water!

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/limes8888/P1000195-small.jpg

FishingFrenzy
05-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I have a 2 year old lab that has been fishing with me once.. it didnt go so well! All she wanted to do was swim and chase the lure, so i tied her up.. then she chewed the rope :sHa_shakeshout: Im planning on working with her a bit so that she can come more, i love her company. Its cool to see how much some dogs love doing stuff with their owners, you can see the excitement and joy in their eyes.

Alberta Bigbore
05-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Coco

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC01135.jpg

Awesome looking dog !!!

slough shark
05-07-2011, 12:36 AM
I have brought my young choc lab Gauge with me a number of times ice fishing and he has a great time running around on the ice, the only 2 concerns I have about taking him fishing is him eating a bait with a hook still in it in the winter time and in the summer him wanting to spend all his time swimming which would mean not so much fishing for me!

commieboy
05-07-2011, 01:20 AM
My dog passed after 17 years of complete devotion to me. I never had the chance to go fishing with him as by the time I had taken it up, he was already suffering from arthritis. He and I were thrust together under interesting circumstances and through a few initial hardships, we formed what I consider my greatest friendship. I have lost grandparents, close friends, and relatives. Losing him is still the most painful thing I have suffered.

To those of you who still have your friend by your side, please take the time to realize how much they do for you.

Don't really know why I'm writing this. Maybe just to remember, and honour him.... somewhat cathartic.

Damn... gotta stop drinking that single malt.

gprime27
05-07-2011, 08:05 AM
My boarder collie always went in when the fish was on the line picked the fish up by the teeth and pulled the fish up. I used to always check the fish and make sure they weren't damged, they never were and they all swam away.. then he'd sit there and watch them go away.. Worst thing was I couldn't break him of that habit, he was pretty smart and always had alot of fun on the river / lake

WillyOneStyle
05-07-2011, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE=slingshotz;932798]Must be a collie thing, my collie I had as a kid hated the water too. My new dog Luna is not a huge fan of the water either and must have some collie in her.

Interesting, I did not know that about them. Lily is actually an abnormally large Sheltie, 50 lbs! She doesn't wander, so I can wade into a river and she'll just lay down on the bank and wait for me.