PDA

View Full Version : regs

yada
05-06-2011, 06:00 PM
are you aloud to carry sented bait in your tackle box if you are in a bait ban area? not using the sented baits, but just in your tackle box.

the regs arnt very clear.

Daceminnow
05-06-2011, 06:02 PM
are you aloud to carry sented bait in your tackle box if you are in a bait ban area? not using the sented baits, but just in your tackle box.

the regs arnt very clear.

the barbs on every hook in your box pinched?

SushiUnagi
05-06-2011, 07:36 PM
I believe carrying is fine...just like barbed hooks. Whatever's on your hook thats attached to your line would count.

Paul C
05-06-2011, 07:41 PM
the barbs on every hook in your box pinched?
Is there something in the alberta fishing regs that says you have to have every hook in your tackle box pinched ?
Please clarify this. The hooks attached to your fishing line have to have pinched barbs.

yada
05-06-2011, 10:22 PM
i have like 600 hooks in my tackle box, none of them are pinched, and i dont want to pinch them unless i need to use them

but like the 6 hooks i use is pinched.

Pudelpointer
05-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Is there something in the alberta fishing regs that says you have to have every hook in your tackle box pinched ?
Please clarify this. The hooks attached to your fishing line have to have pinched barbs.

Sometimes it is hard to recognize Paul, but that would be what some call "sarcasm".

In short, the answer is there is no rule against having it in your tackle box. The law says you "can not fish with bait", not "can not be in possession of bait".

The barbed hook example was given because some of us assume that everyone KNOWS that possessing barbed hooks is not against the law, but using them is.

Daceminnow
05-06-2011, 10:41 PM

i just asked the question Paul. i own many barbed hooks. i wouldn't be the guy to clarify regulations for you. sorry, just a fisherman.

yada
05-06-2011, 10:56 PM
they should make the regs easyer to read.

WayneChristie
05-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Fishing with Bait
Bait — the definition of bait (see Definitions) includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

Bait Ban — means where bait bans are in effect only unscented lures may be used. In specific streams, only maggots may be used as bait during certain times of the year to allow anglers to fish for mountain whitefish with less impact on trout populations. In specific lakes, only maggots and mealworms may be used as bait to allow anglers to fish for perch and lake whitefish with less impact on pike populations (see Important Definitions).

doesnt say you cannot be in possession.

Daceminnow
05-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Fishing with Bait
Bait — the definition of bait (see Definitions) includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

Bait Ban — means where bait bans are in effect only unscented lures may be used. In specific streams, only maggots may be used as bait during certain times of the year to allow anglers to fish for mountain whitefish with less impact on trout populations. In specific lakes, only maggots and mealworms may be used as bait to allow anglers to fish for perch and lake whitefish with less impact on pike populations (see Important Definitions).

doesnt say you cannot be in possession.

the key word above taken directly from the regs is "fishing"

as to the barbless hook saga, again taken directly from the regs under the "General Sportfishing Restrictions" first restriction listed. While fishing.

General Sportfishing Restrictions
It Is Unlawful To:

Use a hook that is not a barbless hook.

the key word here is "use"

again i'm just a fisherman and not the one to "clarify" the regulations here for anyone. i've just posted what the regulations read. i would suggest to anyone that is not certain about the wording in the regulations to call Fish & Wildlife directly in Edmonton (780) 944-0313 and ask to speak with one of the officers. they're the fine folks that you'll have to answer to on the water or in the field.

Dace

huntsfurfish
05-07-2011, 11:56 AM
they should make the regs easyer to read.

Would that mean larger print or easier to understand?:);)

Gust
05-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Would that mean larger print or easier to understand?:);)

Easier to understand for the youngins on the forum and some of us oldinguys too

Commander B
05-07-2011, 02:17 PM
In the same vein I have been told that any lead under the regulated size in the boat /tackle box in a national park is an issue. Any one encountered any problems? Or can clarify?

B.

Pudelpointer
05-07-2011, 03:37 PM
"OTTAWA, June 5, 1997 -- Parks Canada today announced changes in fishing regulations banning the use of small lead sinkers in all national parks. This new regulation change follows a North American trend to reduce the risk to waterfowl from lead poisoning.
Alternatives are available. Several companies make and sell sinkers and jigs composed of materials such as tin, stainless steel, tungsten, bismuth and clay. Alternative products are similar in price and performance to lead.

Beginning this year it became illegal to fish with, and possess while fishing, lead sinkers and jigs weighing less than 50 grams (about 1 3/4 ounces) in any of the national parks. "

Pay close attention to the bold part. It means you should probably keep a separate small tackle box for lures, jigs, etc. for use in the parks - just to be safe, otherwise you could be paying a fine.

tacklerunner
05-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Pudel is correct. That is clearly stated so if it's not clearly stated then it's not a law. Carry all the powerbait and barbed hooks you want. Just don't use them where banned.