PDA

View Full Version : Dropper Knots ?

TheBatman
05-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Hey Newbie asking more questions :)

I just figured out how to tie the Dropper knot (time to kill at work). I successfully tied a few dropper knots in a row about 4" apart. The question I have is how do you successfully tie a fly onto these loops?

Thanks!

chubbdarter
05-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Hey Newbie asking more questions :)

I just figured out how to tie the Dropper knot (time to kill at work). I successfully tied a few dropper knots in a row about 4" apart. The question I have is how do you successfully tie a fly onto these loops?

Thanks!

what are you trying to set up?

TheBatman
05-09-2011, 03:08 PM
I saw in the fourms that you can use more than one nymp in your setup. or a setup with a nymph and a dry fly. Is this possible?

Thanks

chubbdarter
05-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I saw in the fourms that you can use more than one nymp in your setup. or a setup with a nymph and a dry fly. Is this possible?

Thanks

for double rigging a nymph i just tie a tag line to the bend of the top hook....keep it simple too avoid wind tangles.
same as dropper fishing off a dry ..tie to the indicators hook bend

tacklerunner
05-09-2011, 03:29 PM

Thanks

Yes this is common practice but not sure what you mean by loops. Depending on the diameter of you tippet and the size of the eye of your top hook, whether is be a dry or a nymph, you can:

- try form a loop in your leader further up the line (not actually tie a loop) and feed it through the eye of the hook then put the hook through the loop and cinch it tight leaving a long tail maybe 16" - 36" and tie your lower fly to the end.

- tie your top hook to the end of your leader and if you can, fit another leader through the eye of the top hook, tie it on and tie another fly to the other end

- tie a leader and another fly to the shank of the top hook (sometimes a fish can slip your knot off of the shank in this method though especially on barbless hooks)

These techniques can be repeated to tie on a 3rd fly if desired.

ÜberFly
05-09-2011, 03:29 PM
I use a three fly nymph pretty much exclusively and now only tie to the eye of the previous fly (except to the SJW as it's nice and thick) - flies sit better this way, anyway, as well the cheaper ones tend to bend out so by tying to the eye it makes them last a little longer. Also I only use the duncan loop. I find it a lot easier to tie when my hands are cold or when it's dark out... Make sure you go with your heaviest fly as the point ( always BH wire SJW for me) and lightest as the terminal. You can use a dry as your point (also acts as an indicator) - this works really well when emergers are morphing into adults - dry as your adult and the emerging nymph as your dropper!!

P

P.S. When using a multiple fly rig, use a small swivel about 12" above your point fly - A LOT less tangles (3 fly rigs can get messy REALLY messy!!!)