PDA

View Full Version : Just about ready to give in!

dogsbody
05-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Just got back from Dogpound and one very ****ed of fisherman.
Water is high and fast but better than it was 2 weeks ago.
This nymphing is really ****ing me off. Found some beautiful runs but just lose my flies on the bottom all the time.
Same goes for the Bow, fished it all last Summer and zero trout.

Serioulsy.. I might as well by 10 flies, drive to the river, dump them in the nearest pool and drive home as the result will be the same.

I either wait for the dry fly action in a few weeks time or figure this nymphing lark out once and for all. Today I was ready to break my rod into 5 pieces and walk away.

Anyone fishing the Bow in Calgary Tuesday want to show an angry guy how to do it?

:angry3:

Cheers

DB

Dust1n
05-09-2011, 09:31 PM
streamers and glenmore

trouty
05-09-2011, 09:34 PM
how much weight are you using? you can often just fish one or two weighted nymphs without weight.

dogsbody
05-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Was keeping it simple with an unweighted SJW and one bb shot about 10 inches from it.
I know I'm bumping the bottom but I dont understand how anyone can fish like that as its snag after snag after snag!

slingshotz
05-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Just got back from Dogpound and one very ****ed of fisherman.
Water is high and fast but better than it was 2 weeks ago.
This nymphing is really ****ing me off. Found some beautiful runs but just lose my flies on the bottom all the time.
Same goes for the Bow, fished it all last Summer and zero trout.

Serioulsy.. I might as well by 10 flies, drive to the river, dump them in the nearest pool and drive home as the result will be the same.

Dogpound is one of the nastiest places to fish, I would dump 30 flies in the river instead.

The Bow is not the easiest place to learn but can be very rewarding. I'm far from an expert but you should only be bumping the bottom with nymphs. If your indicator is too high up, you will snag too easily on the bottom. However, if you lose one or two flies snagging the bottom, you are in the right depth.

If I didn't have hockey tomorrow, I'd be out for sure tomorrow. I'll probably hit the Bow on Thursday after work if the weather is nice.

Shaggy
05-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Hey dogs I'm in the same sinking boat as you. There aint no fish in the Bow. It's a conspiracy by the guys that tie and sell flies. Keeps business good.

I can't catch a darn thing in there either. But knowing me, I will take the kids out there again this weekend.

birchy
05-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Was keeping it simple with an unweighted SJW and one bb shot about 10 inches from it.
I know I'm bumping the bottom but I dont understand how anyone can fish like that as its snag after snag after snag!

If you're snagging that often, then your rig is too heavy. You might need to try a smaller splitshot, or no splitshot, but a fly with a beadhead. It all depends on the water of course.

But ideally, you should just be 'ticking' the bottom.. and only snagging once in awhile.

dogsbody
05-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys, I have had some good suggestions.

DB