PDA

View Full Version : Holes in flowing water

FisherPotch
12-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Hey guys been awhile since ive been on the forum. Hope all is going well for everyone.

I have a question in regards to punching holes in say a river or stream. Recently a fishing buddy told me that to drill holes through the ice on flowing water is illegal. I have been unable to find anything on it in the regs. Anyone know for sure?

cheers,

fisherpotch

Salvelinus
12-13-2007, 01:07 PM
I believe this reg only applies to the ES zones, including beaver ponds. I think the reg is listed at the openeing page of each management zone.

MathewsArcher
12-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Additional Restrictions:

The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned.
Fish must not be removed from, or disturbed in, any facility or structure designed to capture, hold or facilitate the passage of fish. Fishing is prohibited by any method within 25 yards (22.86 m) of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.
NOTE: Fishways, fish ladders, impoundment nets, fish traps and other similar structures are set up to assist in the management or the study of fisheries, or to allow the passage of fish.
Angling is not permitted through the ice: a) into beaver ponds or b) into flowing waters in Zone 1

-NDN-
12-13-2007, 02:11 PM
you looking to fish the NSR out by your place????;) nice to see you around again.

FisherPotch
12-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the help. But I'm a lil confused. If you could elaborate on "Zone 1" it would be helpful. I’m not located near the es zones so if the es zones are the only ones that this rule pertains to then I’m in shape to fish?

I'm hoping to do sum fishing on the NSR as NDN pointed out. All my fishing on the river is catch and release so there won't be any fish wasted I can promise u that.

It says Open all year for the NSR in my region.

How u been NDN?

MathewsArcher
12-13-2007, 02:28 PM
ZONE 1 Eastern Slopes Zone - click on map to access various units.
ZONE 2 Parkland-Prairie Zone - click on map to access various units.
ZONE 3 Northern Boreal Zone - click on map to access various units.

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/fishingregs/

Click on fish management zones

-NDN-
12-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the help. But I'm a lil confused. If you could elaborate on "Zone 1" it would be helpful. I’m not located near the es zones so if the es zones are the only ones that this rule pertains to then I’m in shape to fish?

I'm hoping to do sum fishing on the NSR as NDN pointed out. All my fishing on the river is catch and release so there won't be any fish wasted I can promise u that.

It says Open all year for the NSR in my region.

How u been NDN?

Ive been good man, this year, lets not delay and actually get out an hit that hole out your way. got some mudders to make that hike across the spot you need to jump across.:lol: :lol:

i too once thought of drilling a hole in the NSR, but with all the trout ponds and lakes close by, i found it not worth it:p

cujo1969
12-13-2007, 07:38 PM
We iced fish the bow river few yrs ago and had pretty good success 20lb + pike. Got me thinkin of giving it a go again.

Jigger
12-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Say in a river like the red deer around drumheller, what fish would stay around? All or none?

Salvelinus
12-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Only fish present there that might migrate out are goldeye.... Otherwise, fish will move to the deepest, slowest water not far from where they live the rest of the year

Reddog
12-14-2007, 12:08 PM
How do you icefish a river? What techniques? I live on the oldman near grand forks.

FisherPotch
12-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks for clearing this up for me guys. I made mention of doing it last year and i figured if it wasnt legal then someone would have jumped on me to let me know it wasnt legit. Now i can go with confidence.

As for how to fish a river..... your guess is as good as mine. Approach with the utmost of caution. Only went once last year and the ice was so dirty that my hand auger blades went fubar after only a few holes. I'm guessing that its similar to fishing a lake with the current being the big difference. I c the current being an advantage for fishing because you can cover more water than just the 6-10 inches below your feet. Ima try bouncing rigs down stream with the current. Gona have to play with the weight of the rig your working to control how far down the current takes your presentation.

Just something to keep in mind.... Last year the first hole we punched allowed water to flow up ontop the ice and it was flowing fast too. Lots of weight on the ice after the water flooded and made for a wet afternoon. Be Safe!!!!!! I'd hate to here of an incident on flowing water after starting a thread like this. I have no intentions of doing any fishing on the NSR for atleast a month or two for safety sake. Take care guys, tight lines.

cujo1969
12-14-2007, 07:47 PM
We used to fish some backwaters on the bow on the siksika reserve yrs ago wonder if they still let as person on? Can drive up edge when ice gets good enough.

Reeves1
12-14-2007, 08:22 PM
The biggest danger of trying to fish ice covered flowing water is breaking through: you then are pushed under the ice down stream.
Unless you have a set of gills hidden under your collar, it would be an unpleasant experience.