PDA

View Full Version : Coal lake

Xiph0id
05-10-2011, 01:16 PM
With all the snow we got, does anyone know if the water level is up or if I'll be able to launch my 16' boat this year?
Maybe it's always decent in the early part of the season?
I've read some discouraging things about the boat launch in the past.

Lefty-Canuck
05-10-2011, 01:20 PM
At the north end the water is up big time...compared to last year. It all depends if they allow pumping out near forestburg and if they decide to open the flood gates or not. You could launch there now I would imagine. I am going there this afternoon to flyfish for some pike.

Lefty

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-10-2011, 01:37 PM
At the north end the water is up big time...compared to last year. It all depends if they allow pumping out near forestburg and if they decide to open the flood gates or not. You could launch there now I would imagine. I am going there this afternoon to flyfish for some pike.

Lefty

Bad Idea

Coal Lake
May 20 to Mar. 31 – Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5.
Apr. 1 to May 19 – CLOSED

Lefty-Canuck
05-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks BBJ....I just picked up my license and the regs! Noticed that as well literally 10 mins ago. So much for that nice afternoon....lol. Thanks for the heads up though....I would hate for someone to see my post and try to meet me out there!

Lefty

05-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks BBJ....I just picked up my license and the regs! Noticed that as well literally 10 mins ago. So much for that nice afternoon....lol. Thanks for the heads up though....I would hate for someone to see my post and try to meet me out there!

Lefty

I was thinking Hell If its open I know where Im headed . Water looks way up almost where it was a few years back . I wonder if they have allowed the run off from the battle river flow in .

Lefty-Canuck
05-10-2011, 01:49 PM
I was thinking Hell If its open I know where Im headed . Water looks way up almost where it was a few years back . I wonder if they have allowed the run off from the battle river flow in .

Yah I was amazed this year how high it is compared to other years. Sad part is someone has a permit to pump out water.....hence why it has been so low as of late. I am not sure if it is oilfield related or irrigation etc.......I hope they reconsider this year and let lake levels stabilize and recharge the aquafer there. Such a nice day too....would be nice to get a line wet in the shallows waiting for a big slough shark to pounce.

Lefty

05-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Yah I was amazed this year how high it is compared to other years. Sad part is someone has a permit to pump out water.....hence why it has been so low as of late. I am not sure if it is oilfield related or irrigation etc.......I hope they reconsider this year and let lake levels stabilize and recharge the aquafer there. Such a nice day too....would be nice to get a line wet in the shallows waiting for a big slough shark to pounce.

Lefty

Theres plenty of other options around . Not to far either . Ever fly fish for goldeye ? Lots of fun as they are very scrappy .

fish_e_o
05-10-2011, 02:00 PM
a friend sent me some pictures of him out on the water with his 22' boat in there from last weekend and he said there was a lot of water

Xiph0id
05-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I hope may 20 comes soon!

FishingFrenzy
05-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Yep, may 20th im headed to COAL! Favorite pike lake even though its muddy, smelly and full of hammerhandles :sHa_shakeshout:

Can't wait to try and catch em on the flyrod and also on topwater baits.

bloopbloob
05-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Coal level has been very down last couple years, but they changed the weir (higher) on the battle river coming out of dried meat lake last year, which is connected to Coal, so they probably have kept the spillway out of Coal closed a lot more than usual. Plus we have a lot more water everywhere this year.... I'm hoping it will make for a good boating/fishing season!

Edit: Don't bother trying out Coal, its DEAD! :)

Lefty-Canuck
05-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Drove by coal today and low and behold 3 fisherman casting from shore.....so I drove down, said hello.....was an older lady and her 2 teen kids. I proceeded to let them know it was CLOSED for another 9 days! She said oh my thank you for telling us! She told me they were rookie fisherman and she didn't know how to tell.....so I asked her if she got a booklet with the licenses and she had....I explained to her that that little booklet has some good info!

I probably saved them a couple of tickets.....

Lefty

Dust1n
05-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Drove by coal today and low and behold 3 fisherman casting from shore.....so I drove down, said hello.....was an older lady and her 2 teen kids. I proceeded to let them know it was CLOSED for another 9 days! She said oh my thank you for telling us! She told me they were rookie fisherman and she didn't know how to tell.....so I asked her if she got a booklet with the licenses and she had....I explained to her that that little booklet has some good info!

I probably saved them a couple of tickets.....

Lefty

alot of f&w are forgiving to the younger anglers/rookies mabe because they want to see more of us carrying on the sport for generations and conservation.

sjb
05-11-2011, 09:02 AM
fish e o do you happen to know if they launch on the north or south side of the lake?

Rockymtnx
05-11-2011, 04:01 PM
I know that the past few years water running out of the lake into the battle river drainage has NOT been a problem. With the lack of rain, snow and incoming water, there has been NO water running out the south end of the lake. The water levels were way back from the spillway. There was 100 yards of dirt between the spillway and the water.
I know the volume of water that is running in the creek past my house that eventually dumps into Coal Lake, it should be filling up nicely this year.

Hooker
05-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I have missed fishing on this lake for the past couple of years. Maybe all that snow I shovelled this winter did have a bright side to it. I had a hard time finding it while I was shovelling though. I love that little lake. I've never got blown off it yet. The odd thunder storm got me off but that's about it.

sjb
05-12-2011, 06:34 AM
This will be awesome, but I still can not believe that with how low this lake was last year, that the water level came back up so much. If we are able to use the boat launch on the north side this year I believe that this lake is going to be hit so hard as to it being inaccessible for the last couple of years.

nimrod
05-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Well possibly some great news about Coal Lake water levels, lets hope they leave it alone, Dried Mead had a big dump of rain last fall ( about 6 inches) so with that Dried Mead should be way up with addition of this spring run off, My thought is Coal should be Ok if they leave it alone. Should be some better fishing this year on Coal.

FishingFrenzy
05-14-2011, 04:16 PM
From what i've read sound like all the ice is off Coal?? Im headin out there opening day but Im just wondering if all the ice is off?? Anyone driven by recently?

Tight lines!

Lefty-Canuck
05-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Ice has been off for quite a while at coal.....I spend most my time in the far north and I haven't seen ice in a couple weeks on it. Some guys were lake testing their boats there last weekend and I told 3 people fishing from shore to put their poles back in their vehicle.

Lefty

FishingFrenzy
05-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Ice has been off for quite a while at coal.....I spend most my time in the far north and I haven't seen ice in a couple weeks on it. Some guys were lake testing their boats there last weekend and I told 3 people fishing from shore to put their poles back in their vehicle.

Lefty

Cool, thanks!!!!!
I guess i know where im going on the 20th :sHa_shakeshout:

Crossfire
05-20-2011, 05:51 PM
anyone know if the spillway is running now

FishingFrenzy
05-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Not sure but i'll post an update after tomorrow.. first openwater trip this year!

bloopbloob
05-22-2011, 08:49 PM
spillway is running, probably 20+ people fishing it today, pretty much shoulder to shoulder. guys were catching a fish every 2 or 3 minutes. all just little 1-1.5 pounders though.