PDA

View Full Version : chain lakes

fishaddict
05-11-2011, 07:17 AM
anyone go out to chain lakes lately is the ice off? how is the fishing? was plannen on goin there sunday.
thanks

tasco
05-11-2011, 07:25 AM
last time I checked it was still iced over :bad_boys_20:

that was 2 weeks ago.

and the fishing is probably terrible :thinking-006:

michaelmicallef
05-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Drove by yesterday about 6. Still has ice on it but not for long, just need some good wind. Open along dam. Water high and very dirty.

tasco
05-11-2011, 10:53 AM
It will possibly stay dirty too. Till after the record amounts of snow in the mountains melts and runs off. I am tempted to check it out myself since I am only 1/2 hour drive away but have not had a chance yet. I imagine the north side of the lake would be cleaner. The warm gusty south wind today will take care of a lot of the ice.

fishaddict
05-11-2011, 05:41 PM
crap :thinking-006: well guess its police lake then for sunday
thanks for the info

michaelmicallef
05-11-2011, 06:17 PM
I could not see the water at the north end but there was one little bay that was open and it did look cleaner.I think the ice might be gone by the weekend as it looked like it was on it's last legs. I would like to give that like a try with my pontoon boot as I know there are some decent size fish in there, but all I have ever caught are 8 to 10 inchers. I bet that creek that comes into it from the south west end would be the place to try.

Kokanee9
05-11-2011, 06:20 PM
I would like to take my daughter there and try to teach her to flyfish when it opens up.

the local angler
05-12-2011, 09:40 PM
hey guys i just got back from chain lakes south near nanton. the lake is about 95% open with ice on the north and south ends of the lake. the south end the ice is up againts the east shoreline cause of the wind blowing it to that side of the lake. the ice is pretty cool looking too the way it broke up its in like 6inch occelates cylinders. very neat and the the north end all the ice is the same but right up against the dam. the water is a light to med colour of brown muddy ish. the good news is i still managed to get a few fish and loose a few fish too so it wasn't bad seeing how there was a few boats out on the lake and a whole bunch of people fishing from all sides of the south end of the lake. lots of fish and wildlife officers about the area too not checking people fishing but monitoring a prescribed burn just north of the lake according to the signs they put up. some spots were foggy from the burn. windy as hell. have fun.

WOLFER 123
05-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Drove by the Chain Lakes to-day. Some ice along the south dam and at the north end. Rest of the lake is open. Watch for wind pushing the ice slush around.
Fdieter