PDA

View Full Version : Best Pliers for pinching barbs

huntsfurfish
05-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Heres the pics of the pliers

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/camerashy14/picsMisc1147.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/camerashy14/picsMisc1146.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/camerashy14/picsMisc1144.jpg

These pliers are awesome for pinching barbs(but a little pricey). But the price can be offset with a little CT money

Jwood 456
05-11-2011, 03:41 PM
X2 that crimpers work awesome. When I crush the barbs on the large hooked jigheads I use for pike, its no problem squishing that barb to nothing.

Kokanee9
05-11-2011, 06:28 PM
That's a good idea.

I was using some needle nose pliers and found it was a kind of hit and miss on the barbs. I felt the tips were not getting enough pressure.
Have you tried these on smaller hooks, 16x 18X ?

Deano85
05-11-2011, 07:05 PM
I like using side cutters to debarb hook.

huntsfurfish
05-11-2011, 07:11 PM
That's a good idea.

I was using some needle nose pliers and found it was a kind of hit and miss on the barbs. I felt the tips were not getting enough pressure.
Have you tried these on smaller hooks, 16x 18X ?

No, have not tried them on any that small yet. But with the square tip and the round tip it allows for one squeeze and perfectly rounded barb. But I do have to wear magnifiers(age thing).:)

I would think they would work Ok on smaller hooks too.

Tiguy
05-11-2011, 08:41 PM
I use small needle nose and instead of just crimping, I also twist the hook once or twice. Seems to work:) damn near every time.

crowflyfisher
05-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Go to any shop and get a pair of debarbing pliers. They have no ridges so they work great for about $10-$20.

Mish@
05-11-2011, 10:18 PM
for me any needle nose pliers work. also i oftenm use my cheap fly tying vice :sHa_shakeshout:

EZM
04-27-2014, 04:08 PM
here are my pliers ....

https://www.dremel.com/en-ca/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=454

the diameter is small so it works well on some pretty small hooks. anything smaller than a 12 or 14 ........ blunt needle nose is the trick for me.

bobalong
04-27-2014, 04:30 PM
I read in a fly tying book somewhere that it's best to pinch the barb with the pliers in the same plane as the hook, i.e. when crimping with flat pliers,the point
should be inside the pliers too.

Seemed contrary to what you would think, they claimed it did less damage to the hook and less chance of breakage.

However I have had better success debarbing when doing that and it does less damage.

That only works on hooks that are straight at the end. I use octopus hooks a lot, and the tip is curved up a bit at the end, so that technique does not work to well on them.

DiabeticKripple
04-27-2014, 04:39 PM
i twist it a couple times and it seems to round off the barb pretty good. im using rapala long needle nose

Pikebreath
04-27-2014, 05:45 PM
I have been flattening barbs for 30 years now with a pair of CDN Tire Mastercraft 4 1/2" smooth jawed needle nose pliers. Nothing better than a smooth jaws to flatten barbs.

wolfkiller
04-27-2014, 05:55 PM
I have a cordless dremel tool in my boat, with the right stone it zips em off quicker than messing with pliers.

EZM
04-27-2014, 08:23 PM
I have a cordless dremel tool in my boat, with the right stone it zips em off quicker than messing with pliers.

And .......... you can sharpen up your points when needed.

Dremels make the best pliers, hammers and even can be used on boat margaritas as a blender.

ericlin0122
04-27-2014, 08:34 PM
go to fly shop. buy dr slick
http://www.drslick.com/catalog/clamps/standard

bushcrafter
05-01-2014, 08:25 AM
I carry the smallest size vise grips. They work great and they have other uses in the outdoors. The last pair I bought came from Canadian Tire. A three pack was $7 on sale!

chimpac
05-01-2014, 08:52 AM
I carry the smallest size vise grips. They work great and they have other uses in the outdoors. The last pair I bought came from Canadian Tire. A three pack was $7 on sale!

Pliers are not near as good as vise grips for pinching power.
My farmer dad always carried an 8 " pair of pliers. Vise grips were not on the market then.
I farm also and find #5 vise grips to be so much better than any plier. I will not carry a leather man multi tool because the pliers can not do what a vise grip can.
When it comes to cutting a snare cable the little vise grip does it easy.
There is an leverage factor in the jaws of a vise grip that most pliers do not have.
I have found that copies of the original Vise Grip brand never work as well for one reason or another.

bushcrafter
05-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Pliers are not near as good as vise grips for pinching power.
My farmer dad always carried an 8 " pair of pliers. Vise grips were not on the market then.
I farm also and find #5 vise grips to be so much better than any plier. I will not carry a leather man multi tool because the pliers can not do what a vise grip can.
When it comes to cutting a snare cable the little vise grip does it easy.
There is an leverage factor in the jaws of a vise grip that most pliers do not have.
I have found that copies of the original Vise Grip brand never work as well for one reason or another.

I agree with you that vise grips are the best! My career involves tools and I won't buy anything but Vise grips for my job but for less than $2.50 a pair, I couldn't resist. 😁