PDA

View Full Version : Lake Isle winter kill

FearNoFish
05-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Talked with some friends who have a cabin at lake Isle and they said the shore is littered with dead fish. I'm assuming this would be the winter kill that SRD was predicting would hit a lot of Alberta lakes. They thought the fish were Whites but Isle doesn't have any, last time I checked. I'm hoping to get out this weekend and see for myself what they are. Has anybody seen any winter kill on the other lakes around Edmonton?

Cheers
Brandon

Speckle55
05-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Yesterday was to Wildhorse by Hinton and counted 27 dead fish and 5 were Brown about 2 lbs .. only think it was a partial kill and none at Kinky ..

Both Lakes ice is off and Emerson lake is 90 % open .. Mayan is ice off too..

some sun and a little wind take ice off quick:sHa_shakeshout:

Jwood 456
05-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Talked with some friends who have a cabin at lake Isle and they said the shore is littered with dead fish. I'm assuming this would be the winter kill that SRD was predicting would hit a lot of Alberta lakes. They thought the fish were Whites but Isle doesn't have any, last time I checked. I'm hoping to get out this weekend and see for myself what they are. Has anybody seen any winter kill on the other lakes around Edmonton?

Cheers
Brandon

That sucks. I was starting to finally figure out how to catch many of the 4+lber walleye out of that lake and even caught what I think was a 6 or 7lber once. At least on the bright side, the winterkill could have killed enough walleye off to allow the Silver Sands perch fishery to recover.

Drewski Canuck
05-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Isle will now be marked for closing as it has to "recover". By the time it recovers, and F & W considers re openning it for retention, it will likely winterkill AGAIN.

There are many lakes that fall into this category. As such, Perhaps SRD can simply accept fishing pressure and retention, in the face of the reality that the winterkill lakes will suffer a loss next time it winterkills. At least the fishing community could utilize the resource rather than have the massive die offs with fish rotting on the shoreline in spring.

Drewski

horsetrader
05-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Isle will now be marked for closing as it has to "recover". By the time it recovers, and F & W considers re openning it for retention, it will likely winterkill AGAIN.

There are many lakes that fall into this category. As such, Perhaps SRD can simply accept fishing pressure and retention, in the face of the reality that the winterkill lakes will suffer a loss next time it winterkills. At least the fishing community could utilize the resource rather than have the massive die offs with fish rotting on the shoreline in spring.

Drewski

Unfortunately if it has winter killed there is nothing to open it up for it will have to recover before there is anything to fish for.... a catch 22

Morph1
05-17-2011, 09:27 AM
I just read the post, sounds really bad...,
is that true that it completely winter killed ?,
one of my favourite lakes and so close to the city...
I hear hundreds of fish on shore including walleye, pike and burbot.
my question is , is it a complete or partial winter kill ?,
I am renting a small lake house there for the may long weekend and planned to do some fishing with my kid, now I don't know what to do.. cancel and go elsewhere or give it a shot, anyone ?
and one last question, can anyone recall winter kill for that lake that severe in the past if so what year was that?.

thanks.

Cheers !

pdfish
05-17-2011, 09:45 AM
I just read the post, sounds really bad...,
is that true that it completely winter killed ?,
one of my favourite lakes and so close to the city...
I hear hundreds of fish on shore including walleye, pike and burbot.
my question is , is it a complete or partial winter kill ?,
I am renting a small lake house there for the may long weekend and planned to do some fishing with my kid, now I don't know what to do.. cancel and go elsewhere or give it a shot, anyone ?
and one last question, can anyone recall winter kill for that lake that severe in the past if so what year was that?.

thanks.

Cheers !

Go, and don't worry about winterkill. My friend's uncle lives just off the lake, he says its not as bad as people are making out. Hundreds of fish out of a lake with 10's of thousands is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. If you want some spots to try, PM me.

Morph1
05-17-2011, 11:17 AM
thanks PDfish, I just hope it will be still a fair fishing season at Isle this year,
this is by far one of the most interesting lakes with in range of Edmonton.
I've been fishing there for the past 8 years and I too know lots of great spots.

well thanks man,
and have a great fishing season !!!!

I'll report back after long weekend.

CHeers !

Morph1
05-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Not so good news,

Well spent the long weekend at Isle , not a single fish caught not a single bite/ nibble felt..., sad story, is it all winter killed ??? who knows, it maybe too early to judge, talked to many people on the lake and heard the same story , no fish and nothing showing on fish finder, last year this lake was hot on fire where you could catch over 50 fish in 2 /3 hours.
I think I will give it one more shot in a few weeks and see whats up there as far as now things stand at big o "0". First time skunked at Isle :sad0071:

cheers!

horsetrader
05-24-2011, 08:07 AM
Not so good news,

Well spent the long weekend at Isle , not a single fish caught not a single bite/ nibble felt..., sad story, is it all winter killed ??? who knows, it maybe too early to judge, talked to many people on the lake and heard the same story , no fish and nothing showing on fish finder, last year this lake was hot on fire where you could catch over 50 fish in 2 /3 hours.
I think I will give it one more shot in a few weeks and see whats up there as far as now things stand at big o "0". First time skunked at Isle :sad0071:

cheers!

Sorry to hear that Morph hope you were still able to enjoy a nice long weekend with your kids.

Penner
05-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Not so good news,

cheers!

Isle was producing really nicely over the past few years. Isle winterkills fairly often but this winter was a real long one. Bad news for sure.

walleyeca
05-24-2011, 11:17 AM
hey dont worry guys mostly all whitefish in that kill and i spoke with a bioligist and he said they are very susceptable to winterkill! When i was out there there were many hundreds dead by hoffman beach! I went out on Saturday as it was glass calm and saw lots of walleyes on the rocks in 4 feet by the split island and lots laying in the sand behind birch island! water is only 46 degrees still prespawn! no worries!!

Robins18
06-12-2011, 10:59 AM
During June 5th derby at Camp He Ho Ha not one bite anywhere on lake by over 75 anglers. First skunk ever in my 33 years as a volunteer guide for disabled anglers. Hope I'm wrong, but suspect total winter kill, all species.

horsetrader
06-12-2011, 11:37 AM
During June 5th derby at Camp He Ho Ha not one bite anywhere on lake by over 75 anglers. First skunk ever in my 33 years as a volunteer guide for disabled anglers. Hope I'm wrong, but suspect total winter kill, all species.

That's a sad story sounds like the lake is in bad shape. Sorry to hear that your derby had to suffer hopfully the anglers were still able to enjoy the day

Geezle
06-12-2011, 10:26 PM

Wow. Just wow.

Anybody know what the implications are if a lake such as Isle has a total winter kill? Restock with all species that were there before and close it to retention for as long as it takes everything to reestablish? :thinking-006:

Kim473
06-13-2011, 05:44 AM
Dont think it would be a total winter kill as I caught a few perch and pike in the end of march. But The fishing was realy poor at that time.

HunterDave
06-13-2011, 11:39 AM
A few weeks ago they were netting in Lac Ste Anne to relocate walleye to another body of water. I couldn't find the right people to ask where the fish were going but my guess is Isle Lake. One fella said Wabuman but I have a hard time believing that one.

walking buffalo
06-13-2011, 12:00 PM
A few weeks ago they were netting in Lac Ste Anne to relocate walleye to another body of water. I couldn't find the right people to ask where the fish were going but my guess is Isle Lake. One fella said Wabuman but I have a hard time believing that one.

SRD is stocking Wabamun with Lac Ste. Anne walleyes. The winter kill at Isle Lake is going to effect this program, as Isle Lake walleyes were to be used as well.

You can read more about it here, from 2010.

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/Newsroom/SRDStories.aspx