PDA

View Full Version : Another Etiquette Question

Braun
05-12-2011, 08:30 AM
So I had an experience on the water last night that kind of got me thinking. this guy was preaching to another guy about how he icefishes the glenmore res all the time and the best spots and times of day to do it. It is against city bylaw to do so and has been for a while, now its also in the regs so thats a good sign. but my question is this:

If your shore fishing and you hear people talking about doing things that are not allowed in that water body, but he at the moment is not doing anything illegal. Do you say something to him? Do you not and give him the benefit of the doubt that he is possibly talking about one day when the dinos roamed and it was not illegal to do that particular task on that waterbody

jacenbeers
05-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I would leave it alone. Especially if you were not involved in the conversation. He could just be making stuff up to impress a friend.

Okotokian
05-12-2011, 08:49 AM
You could say "Yeah, you just have to keep an eye out for fish cops, as it's illegal" and wink. IF he knows it's illegal he just goes "Yup". If he doesn't, he learned something. But you aren't confronting him or scolding him.

On the otherhand, sometimes it's best to just ignore certain sorts of people and not get into a pizzing match with them. I'm SLOWLY learning that on this board LOL ;)

Mish@
05-12-2011, 09:28 AM
If the person would end up talking to you you could mention that it is illegal. Otherwise just leave it alone

Scott N
05-12-2011, 09:32 AM
It's kind of a tough call in this day and age. People get assulted over the most trivial of things. I wouldn't want to inform someone that they are talking about doing something illegal and then have them go get stabby on me or pull out the bear spray.

A few years ago at Bear Pond I noticed a group of 3 younger guys who were catching and keeping fish when it is catch and release only there. The three of them could have administered a good beating on me if they wanted to, but I did politely tell them "I don't know if you guys don't realize it, but you're not allowed to keep fish out of here. I'd be careful about F&W if I were you." I had intended to follow them back to the parking lot, get a plate #, and report them, but they realized I think what I was planning, and bugged out before I could get down to the bottom. You never know what someone might be willing to do I guess, but you don't want to let people get away with things that they shouldn't be doing.

RayL42
05-12-2011, 09:42 AM
If the person would end up talking to you you could mention that it is illegal. Otherwise just leave it alone

X2

I hunt and fish with an older guy who is always telling me stories of things they use to do that would land him a hefty fine now a days. To people ease dropping on the conversations it would be easy for a misinterpretation of the circumstance.

However if I was part of a conversation where some one was talking about illegal activities due to ignorance I would make them aware of the regulations.

Braun
05-12-2011, 10:04 AM
X2

I hunt and fish with an older guy who is always telling me stories of things they use to do that would land him a hefty fine now a days. To people ease dropping on the conversations it would be easy for a misinterpretation of the circumstance.

However if I was part of a conversation where some one was talking about illegal activities due to ignorance I would make them aware of the regulations.

Ya, I am of the same belief. If I was in the conversation, I would have said something. Or if he was currently doing the illegal act, I would say something. but it is a different situation when you over hear them discussing it and are currently not doing anything wrong .

chubbdarter
05-12-2011, 12:01 PM
still might have some worth to call it in to RAP if your able to get a plate #.... compiled data leads to a visit.
Alot of drunks at the bar get loose jaw and brag up a storm and get a call from a CO. Maybe no confiction but hopefully a message is delivered and you avoid any confrontation.

Kokanee9
05-12-2011, 12:07 PM
In regards to past ice fishing, not much anybody can do. If you felt a need to say something, you could say that you overheard them talking about ice fishing and you were wondering where some of the better spots used to be. Whatever the reply is, you would then have the oppurtunity to work it into the conversation that next year is closed for ice fishing and its disappointing that you won't be able to try it there. No embarassment to the other guy in front of his friend and the rest is up to him next winter.

dragon
05-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Confronting him is completely up to you and is very circumstantial.

As far as a conviction, he said she said doesn't go over in court. There needs to be evidence to prosecute and over hearing a conversation would never hold up in court.

DanJ
05-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Mind your own business. If you felt a need to say something, overcome it.

Braun
05-12-2011, 07:46 PM

and if he was infact doing illegal activities at that time?

Dust1n
05-12-2011, 08:15 PM
is the rap on speed dial call it

SushiUnagi
05-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Pick your battle :fighting0074:

TyreeUM
05-13-2011, 09:09 AM

I thought you said he was "talking about" ice fishing, he wasn't actually doing it. If you called I doubt they would even come out for that

Braun
05-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I thought you said he was "talking about" ice fishing, he wasn't actually doing it. If you called I doubt they would even come out for that

he was just talking about it. my comment was directed towards DanJ who said

I wanted to get his opinion on what he would do if the guy was actually doing said illegal activity because his post gave the impression that if someone is doing something illegal everyone else should mind their own business and ignore it.

tacklerunner
05-13-2011, 09:53 AM
"idiiots stupid fooolz, i better not see these guys, or i would have done worst, i would have took his fish through em in the water for the ospreys and through him and his fishing rod in the water, this is getting bad, soon ima go to the nsr not with fishing gear and watch for these guys then throw them in the water if i see bad things happening trust me."

This seems logical. :scared0018:

TyreeUM
05-13-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't know, I mind my own business unless I actually see something happen. If I have the opportunity I will speak to the person and let them know what they are doing is against the regs...then I will decide wether or not a phone call needs to be made. Sometimes you get the odd guy that is completely ignorant to the rules but when you tell them they appreciate the fact that you let them know and going forward will probably not make the same mistake. If I get the person that gives me attitude and the "mind your own business" comment and keeps on with they're poaching, then I make a phone call. Everyone makes mistakes, police don't give every one they pull over tickets for breaking the law, you can feel the person out and know if it was an honest mistake or it was their intent to break the regs.

boot
05-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't know, I mind my own business unless I actually see something happen. If I have the opportunity I will speak to the person and let them know what they are doing is against the regs...then I will decide wether or not a phone call needs to be made. Sometimes you get the odd guy that is completely ignorant to the rules but when you tell them they appreciate the fact that you let them know and going forward will probably not make the same mistake. If I get the person that gives me attitude and the "mind your own business" comment and keeps on with they're poaching, then I make a phone call. Everyone makes mistakes, police don't give every one they pull over tickets for breaking the law, you can feel the person out and know if it was an honest mistake or it was their intent to break the regs.

+1
:happy0180:

Braun
05-13-2011, 11:33 AM
In regards to calling RAP I agree 100% making the call is not the first thing one should do. The situation needs to be evaluated first. It is very possible that the person has no idea that they are breaking a reg. I am the type of person who would rather educate others fist. And if they turn out to be snot heads then ill make the call. but in my above scenario, I was debating weather or not I should enter into the conversation in order to find out if he was aware of the rules about ice fishing in the res or just to butt out. not at any point was I thinking about calling RAP. the fact that I didnt enter the convo earlier is more surprising to me because I am a very friendly guy and more often then not strike up small conversation with others while fishing

TyreeUM
05-13-2011, 11:36 AM
...and not that it is any excuse, but alberta's regs have to be the most elaborate listing I have ever seen. I think an honest mistake can easily happen, especially for someone new to fishing the province. A friendly education session always is my first priority. I never head out with the intention to break any regs, but I would sure appreciate if someone saw me to give me the heads up. Not everyone is knowingly breaking the rules, the phone call is for the people that know the regs and choose to ignore them...at least in my book anyway.

Kokanee9
05-13-2011, 08:43 PM
"idiiots stupid fooolz, i better not see these guys, or i would have done worst, i would have took his fish through em in the water for the ospreys and through him and his fishing rod in the water, this is getting bad, soon ima go to the nsr not with fishing gear and watch for these guys then throw them in the water if i see bad things happening trust me."

This seems logical. :scared0018:

I know that is not you talking but the only piece missing it to take one of the fish and slap them on the side of the head with it!

:)

Jwood 456
05-13-2011, 11:14 PM
If I had the fishing regs handy, I would show them that what they were talking about was unlwaful. I would really have to watch what I said though because like what other posters said, some people will do crimes over "nothing". I certainly wouldn't want to be the next crime victum being heard of on the news...lol

bigdaddy37
05-14-2011, 10:37 AM
The other day I was at Bowness park with the family. Two young guys came wandering by with rods in hand. They stopped and talked to two guys driving a white truck with red decals, wearing coveralls... When the young lads were out of ear shot, I overheard the coverall guys laughing and talking. They knew full well the Bow is closed until June in that area and that the CO was near by and told the young guys the river was open. They did it on purpose!

I grabbed my copy of the regs out of my truck and went over to the guys fishing. They were only kids (14 or 15 yrs old). I chatted with them, and learned they had never fished before and wanted to have a go. They thought the coverall guys would be straight up with them. I gave them the copy of the regs and showed them were it said the river was closed to June 1.

I wanted to let the coverall guys know what I thought about them, but they were gone in a hurry.

Who does that to kids, on purpose?

Braun
05-14-2011, 12:23 PM
The other day I was at Bowness park with the family. Two young guys came wandering by with rods in hand. They stopped and talked to two guys driving a white truck with red decals, wearing coveralls... When the young lads were out of ear shot, I overheard the coverall guys laughing and talking. They knew full well the Bow is closed until June in that area and that the CO was near by and told the young guys the river was open. They did it on purpose!

I grabbed my copy of the regs out of my truck and went over to the guys fishing. They were only kids (14 or 15 yrs old). I chatted with them, and learned they had never fished before and wanted to have a go. They thought the coverall guys would be straight up with them. I gave them the copy of the regs and showed them were it said the river was closed to June 1.

I wanted to let the coverall guys know what I thought about them, but they were gone in a hurry.

Who does that to kids, on purpose?

ya thats pretty bad.