PDA

View Full Version : Leech Traps

Buck9
05-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Searched the forum for leech traps and found a few answers on what people use. My question is their a way to catch bigger leeches? I have tried about a dozen different ponds, sloughs, dugouts and still have not found large leeches. Have found one great dugout for 2"-3" leeches, but looking for that elusive jumbo leech. I use a white 4 litre pail with holes cut in the lid and usually liver. Anyone have suggestions on type of water or leech trap that may catch the jumbos? :fishing:

savage7mm
05-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Doesnt their size depend more on how much blood the drink?

Dust1n
05-12-2011, 09:32 PM
at alex lake theres massive 5 inchers there

Jwood 456
05-12-2011, 09:39 PM
I have seen some massive leeches in the lakes and rivers. There is much more food for the leeches to get in the lakes and rivers IMO. The leeches have much larger fish to feed off of in fish bearing lakes than frogs and bugs in non fish bearing ponds and slews.

TyreeUM
05-12-2011, 09:51 PM
it is probably more species related than food source, I don't know how many species you guys have in Alberta but I would bet there are several. Some grow large, some stay small, some suck blood, only one sucks human blood, lots just eat things like worms. As a side note, I have found some of the larger species of leaches to not work well for fishing...

Kokanee9
05-12-2011, 10:00 PM
it is probably more species related than food source, I don't know how many species you guys have in Alberta but I would bet there are several. Some grow large, some stay small, some suck blood, only one sucks human blood, lots just eat things like worms. As a side note, I have found some of the larger species of leaches to not work well for fishing...

I agree with some of the larger ones not working. I had got some at a lake by La Ronge and they were large but did no good.

critter
05-12-2011, 10:26 PM
tried all sizes of leeches, smaller the better. Big ones dont work whatesoever in my experience.

Freedom55
05-13-2011, 07:59 AM
My leach traps are made from folded aluminium pie plates, usually with a chunk of beef heart inside. Punch a few small holes and leave a little entry or two in the crimp to allow the prey to get inside. Attach to a weight and string and hope for the best. As it turns out, I am going to check my traps in a few minutes.

Another trick is to cut the beefheart into strips that resemble a leach and freeze them in 10-12 piece size bags, the bloodier the better.

I have been told, on this forum by a young fella with a nice Pony car, that there are two types of leaches. The ribbon leaches work for fishing, and the horse leaches are good for not fishing. I think he mentioned stripes on the horse variety.

Free (bait)

Buck9
05-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I will keep trying different spots for leeches. I always thought the bigger the better, cause seems to me everyone around here wants the large leeches. When we go to Tobin they all seem to be asking for the Jumbo's. I do use the small ones and put on 2 or 3 if needed as I have lots to use. Has anyone tried feeding them to make them bigger as Savage7mm had mentioned or questioned?