PDA

View Full Version : Wheres a good place to shore fish Travers...?

OttCan
05-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Hey guys...and girls.

Just wondering if anyone would as so kind to point me in the right direction to shore fish Travers...Im relatively new in town and have a day to kill tmrw and would love to catch some fish!

Thanks
C.

SushiUnagi
05-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Most peeps fish the north end by the inlet.

jacenbeers
05-13-2011, 08:58 AM
I fished yesterday from the dock at the Little Bow Provincial Park and caught 11 walleye in a few hours. It is pretty easy access and there is a parking lot right there.

iliketrout
05-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Read through pages 5 and 6 of this thread http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=91661

Chubbdarter will have more details, but SRD has said it is unlawful to fish within 25m of the wing dams...so you might want to clarify that before you head out.

DiehardFishingMan
05-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Read through pages 5 and 6 of this thread http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=91661

Chubbdarter will have more details, but SRD has said it is unlawful to fish within 25m of the wing dams...so you might want to clarify that before you head out.

I have a question on this one.

The regulation said

No fishing within 25 yeards (22.86 m) of the Canal inlet structure

Do we consider the wing dams as a part of Canal inlet structure ? Does anyone knows?

iliketrout
05-13-2011, 12:40 PM
I always assumed that it was measured from where the water entered the lake...therefore the points of the wing dams would be fair game. But apparently they told Chubby different.

Chubby - what's the ruling that you were told?

DiehardFishingMan
05-13-2011, 01:19 PM
I always assumed that it was measured from where the water entered the lake...therefore the points of the wing dams would be fair game. But apparently they told Chubby different.

Chubby - what's the ruling that you were told?

I have same assumption as you had. That is why I got confused.

calgarygringo
05-13-2011, 01:29 PM
I am no lawyer but I think the key word may be structure. Chubb will probably confirm but if they are using the structure as the mark I would think the wings of the concrete would be the structure. That would be how I would perceive it but maybe not?

KI-UTE
05-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Just another bad law brought to us by your non-friendly, non-neighborly Communist Enviromentalist Government.

They do not look out for our best interests.

Gust
05-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Was informed by F&W that the dysfunctional structure is no longer a structure.

So to pick his brain, I asked "If I stand 25 m's away and cast towards the structure, am I fishing within 25 m's?"... he didn't know the answer. I actually do better about 300 m's away from the structures.

Gust
05-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Just another bad law brought to us by your non-friendly, non-neighborly Communist Enviromentalist Government.

You are right!! They look out for the best interest of the fish & wildlife

DiehardFishingMan
05-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Was informed by F&W that the dysfunctional structure is no longer a structure.

So to pick his brain, I asked "If I stand 25 m's away and cast towards the structure, am I fishing within 25 m's?"... he didn't know the answer. I actually do better about 300 m's away from the structures.

What is the dysfunctional structure ? the wing dam?

Please forgive me. I really have no clue what is that

Gust
05-13-2011, 03:33 PM
What is the dysfunctional structure ? the wing dam?

Please forgive me. I really have no clue what is that

The old chute.

DiehardFishingMan
05-13-2011, 03:47 PM
The old chute.

thanks

the local angler
05-13-2011, 04:13 PM
do they have the docks out at the boat launch already?

chubbdarter
05-13-2011, 05:25 PM
i spent considerable time on the phone with Edmonton SRD and the SRD office governing Travers.

It was agreed on by both offices that there is to be no fishing within 25 yards of the LOWER entrance of of any fishway,CANAL,obstacle or leap. Dams and weirs are considered obstacles.

The lower entrance would mean 25 yards from the last point of the structure away from fishway, CANAL, obstacle or leap.

chubbdarter
05-13-2011, 05:27 PM

the law is to protect congregating fish and human safety....some discharges are very dangerous in southern alberta

KI-UTE
05-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Only the odd one would be dangerous and only some of the time, during peak water flow. The rest of them, the hundreds that exist, present virtually no danger whatsoever to the angler.

The fish don't need the protection either, with only a couple of exceptions... possibly. No need for a communistic blanket policy.

Rather than come up with sensible site by site regs on this one, the steel hammer comes down... everything whether it is a problem or not... because it is easier not to care, the sooner we can get back to our coffee and surfing during govt business hours.

KI-UTE
05-14-2011, 02:45 PM
And really... if they were concerned with people's safety, you restrict the high side of the structure where people can fall in and get pulled into the current and sucked under when passing thru the structure. On the low side, if you slip in, you just step back out. Very little current on the low side.

jacenbeers
05-14-2011, 07:02 PM
do they have the docks out at the boat launch already?

You betcha.

WayneChristie
05-14-2011, 08:42 PM
some discharges are very dangerous in southern alberta

youve ice fished with JTS1 in a tent I see?