PDA

View Full Version : Last minute perch netting...for any couch potatoes today

Sundancefisher
05-14-2011, 01:50 PM
I had to work downtown this morning and was not sure of my afternoon schedule.

As is stands...we will be pulling 4 nets this afternoon at Lake Sundance in Calgary. 3-5 pm. Please be at the main gate entrance at 3 pm and I will sign you in.

I can not guarantee numbers of perch or numbers of volunteers today...but the weather is not raining...and I check one trap 2 days ago from above and it looked like there were perch swimming around in it.

Please do not PM me. If you need more info to come...it will have to wait till the next outing.

Cheers

Sun

chubbdarter
05-14-2011, 02:11 PM

As is stands...we will be pulling 4 nets this afternoon at Lake Sundance in Calgary. 3-5 pm. Please be at the main gate entrance at 3 pm and I will sign you in.

I can not guarantee numbers of perch or numbers of volunteers today...but the weather is not raining...and I check one trap 2 days ago from above and it looked like there were perch swimming around in it.

Please do not PM me. If you need more info to come...it will have to wait till the next outing.

Cheers

Sun

p.m. sent

FishingMOM
05-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Crud, have to miss this one.
would have loved to make it out there for this.
Stinky is waiting to have a chance at them darn perch again.

Buck Krazy
05-14-2011, 02:15 PM
see ya there

baitfisher83
05-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Wish I could make this one, stuck at work until 4pm....

fallen1817
05-14-2011, 02:57 PM
p.m. sent

LOL :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Sundancefisher
05-14-2011, 06:37 PM
WOW...just shy of 4000 perch. Yikes there were lots of big ones also. Biggest though was 32 cm. Lots in the 20-28 cm range.

Looks like more netting to come for this year.

Thanks to those that came out today. I won't expect any posts until the perch are filleted. Should be finished around...mid Sept.

Buck Krazy
05-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Yeah sorry we left, the wind was driving the little lady batty!lol! Will try to make it out again..

the local angler
05-14-2011, 07:59 PM
DOH wish i new about this.

Garry B
05-14-2011, 08:04 PM
WOW...just shy of 4000 perch. Yikes there were lots of big ones also. Biggest though was 32 cm. Lots in the 20-28 cm range.

Incredible numbers and size. Good on ya, you'll soon have 'em cleaned out. :scared: Seriously, that's a significant dollar value of tasty perch. Wow. :)

Forgot to say I'd love to see what 4000 perch that size looks likes like. Commercial fishing.

FishingMOM
05-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Can't wait for my turn to get in there and get my hands on some of that fish.
I have a senior who would give their teeth for some.

Sundancefisher
05-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Can't wait for my turn to get in there and get my hands on some of that fish.
I have a senior who would give their teeth for some.

I will have to net during the week I am thinking...with those kind of numbers we can get 4000 in the nets over night...

Sorry I could not plan better... I hate working Saturdays... The wind was bothersome but workable today.

So many perch however... Not spawning yet but very, very close.

Cheers and watch for future outings! You little guys bonking skills could of been used today :-)

Sun

horsetrader
05-14-2011, 10:15 PM
I will have to net during the week I am thinking...with those kind of numbers we can get 4000 in the nets over night...

Sorry I could not plan better... I hate working Saturdays... The wind was bothersome but workable today.

Cheers and watch for future outings! You little guys bonking skills could of been used today :-)

Sun

Caught some perch in Edm. last weekend every male big and small as soon as you touched them milked like crazy caught them up shallow 5-6 ft.

you got a mess of perch in there I think you need some bass to help clean them out......LOL

FishingMOM
05-14-2011, 10:21 PM

Sun

4000 is a lot to clean up.
Stink would like to bring at least one helper if we get the opportunity to help out.

He would have so much fun helping you with all those fish.

gprime27
05-14-2011, 10:21 PM

Cheers

Sun

Sundance, I know I'm new to calgary in a month but, I'm always up to pickup perch anyday anytime anywhere.. and when I say that I mean it :)

Badback
05-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Yes people please contact Sundancefisher...We didn't have enough people today and I took home a pile of them...Finished filleting them at 10:45 pm and ended up with 14 lbs of fillets...Gave 7 lbs to my neighbours and the rest will go to my relatives...Lots of bigger ones this year...Also if you come out, bring a towel to clean your hands (lots of eggs, milt and slim from them), sun screen and a five gallon bucket to put them in...The bags were getting ripped up pretty bad...

FishingMOM
05-15-2011, 12:44 AM
Keep us informed and we will do all we can to get down there and help out.

Perch......yum
:sHa_shakeshout:

neil555688
05-15-2011, 12:03 PM
anything happening today?

Sundancefisher
05-15-2011, 12:22 PM
anything happening today?

Nope...if I can get 4 or 5 volunteers...I can pull one or two nets. I am potentially free this Tues Wed and Thurs...tentatively... Having one person that has done it before also helps...

baitfisher83
05-15-2011, 12:45 PM
I could do it Wednesday if I can get out there, haven't pulled nets before though

MarkS
05-15-2011, 01:16 PM
We have a monster perch meal scheduled for tonight, can't wait! There were certainly some good fish pulled out yesterday.
I could help Tuesday night but from early Wednesday I am in Regina until Friday afternoon. I will keep an eye on the forum in the mean-time.

Braun
05-15-2011, 01:46 PM
i could do later in the week

slingshotz
05-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Nope...if I can get 4 or 5 volunteers...I can pull one or two nets. I am potentially free this Tues Wed and Thurs...tentatively... Having one person that has done it before also helps...

If you pull the nets after 4pm, I can come out on Tues, Wed or Thurs. I've pulled and set them a few times before with you. I'm also completely free all day Monday.

My pile of perch from last year are almost gone, we need to restock to last a few more months :)

the local angler
05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
i may be able to do it wed too

Sundancefisher
05-15-2011, 04:22 PM
If you pull the nets after 4pm, I can come out on Tues, Wed or Thurs. I've pulled and set them a few times before with you. I'm also completely free all day Monday.

My pile of perch from last year are almost gone, we need to restock to last a few more months :)

Wednesday just might be the ticket...

I will confirm and then post...

the local angler
05-15-2011, 04:38 PM
on mon or tues depending on the time you want to pull the nets i get off around 2pm 3pm ish and normally work the day shift, so my evenings are ussually free.

RayB's
05-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Wednesday just might be the ticket...

I will confirm and then post...

I can make myself available to help on Wednesday. I only have one appointment to work around. I'll watch for your update and call you if I see your post.

FishingMOM
05-15-2011, 07:11 PM
I could prolly manage to get out wednesday evening after work. Given distance and traffic I should make it by 6-630

Thorobreeder
05-15-2011, 09:20 PM
My husband and I would love to come down and give a hand, we'll be in Calgary on Wednesday after 4-430...haven't had perch in a while, living up highway 40 we fish tons but mostly eat fish we catch at the store lol :)

FishingMOM
05-17-2011, 07:00 AM

Wednesday seems to work well with a number of us helpers.
Just give us a heads up. Please

Sundancefisher
05-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Wednesday seems to work well with a number of us helpers.
Just give us a heads up. Please

I am just finalizing my time with the boss. Today for sure did not work. I give tomorrow a 90% change of going forward.

We were definitely short people to take fish home on Saturday. Bigger perch but what surprised me was seeing almost 4000.

Braun
05-17-2011, 09:15 AM
I am just finalizing my time with the boss. Today for sure did not work. I give tomorrow a 90% change of going forward.

We were definitely short people to take fish home on Saturday. Bigger perch but what surprised me was seeing almost 4000.

ill help you. although i am slow at filleting those guys. good practice i guess

FishingMOM
05-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Like I mentioned I have recipients lined up waiting for me to grab them some and I know I could use with a bunch for my freezer.
If need be I will just head em and gut em until I get a chance to clean them. Besides if you leave the skin on and throw them on the BBQ for a couple minutes the meat seperates easily from the skin and bones.......... mmmmmmmm bbq perch.

chubbdarter
05-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I thought you needed HELP , to like work. You actually need people to take fish home?
Can i help and not take fish home?

Sundancefisher
05-17-2011, 10:18 AM
I thought you needed HELP , to like work. You actually need people to take fish home?
Can i help and not take fish home?

Yes of course you can just come out and help and visit with other AOF members! I break the crew down into various teams.

1) I need 3 in the boat to help me pull the nets and release trout and then dump the perch into the tub.

2) I need people on shore to count the perch and then sort into larger sized ones (having one team lead helps). The more perch we catch the more important it is to have this shore team.

Most people WANT to take perch home. When we catch tons of perch...my biggest regret is seeing any wasted. They are harming the lake so I don't want them in but still they are valuable insofar as meat is concerned so I prefer not to waste any.

I hope that answers your question. Are you interested in coming out? It would be great to meet and this would give you a feel for some fisheries work. Fyke nets are kinda unique.

Cheers

Sun

baitfisher83
05-17-2011, 10:20 AM

If I can get out there I'll take a bunch and disperse hem, my boss would likely take some and I might be able to dump some on AK...lol

raceu4it
05-17-2011, 10:24 AM
what time wednesday and do you still some bonkers?

chubbdarter
05-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Yes of course you can just come out and help and visit with other AOF members! I break the crew down into various teams.

1) I need 3 in the boat to help me pull the nets and release trout and then dump the perch into the tub.

2) I need people on shore to count the perch and then sort into larger sized ones (having one team lead helps). The more perch we catch the more important it is to have this shore team.

Most people WANT to take perch home. When we catch tons of perch...my biggest regret is seeing any wasted. They are harming the lake so I don't want them in but still they are valuable insofar as meat is concerned so I prefer not to waste any.

I hope that answers your question. Are you interested in coming out? It would be great to meet and this would give you a feel for some fisheries work. Fyke nets are kinda unique.

Cheers

Sun

ya....if its in the evening i should be able to make it....im fishing tomorrow down on the oldman first light. I'll watch for details on this thread on my phone

Sun do you provide a letter because its obvious most will be over their possesion limit?

Do the Bear guys grab the guts?

chuck0039
05-17-2011, 10:52 AM
if possible can you post pictures.

Sundancefisher
05-17-2011, 10:56 AM
ya....if its in the evening i should be able to make it....im fishing tomorrow down on the oldman first light. I'll watch for details on this thread on my phone

Sun do you provide a letter because its obvious most will be over their possesion limit?

Do the Bear guys grab the guts?

There is another thread now. It is good to go for tomorrow. 6 pm at the entrance.

I will have bills of lading for anyone taking over 15 perch home. Not sure who collects the guts. I bury them in the garden or under a tree...best fertilizer so long as you don't have a dog. Mind you once your neighbours dog rolls in it a few times...they will fix their fence holes :-)

Sun

mantleman
05-17-2011, 04:38 PM
I was wondering if this is for all interested. I would like to bring a 10 yr old along for a father/ daughter experince. I think this would be great for us:innocent: