PDA

View Full Version : Crawling Valley Reservoir Rocks, Sunken Islands, Fishing

Shepherd7
05-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Hey Everyone,
I'm heading out to Crawling Valley for hopefully some good fishing. I've never been there as I usually make my trips up into Lac La Biche country. From reading these forums I hear there are some issues around shallow areas and rocks (someone quoted "sunken islands"?). Never being here and not wanting to destroy a prop can anyone help me out with where these hazardous areas are or just where to pay special attention?
I've got a depth contour map and stuff but that doesn't do any great wonders for hidden little treasures. And a depth finder but that doesn't help often when your running 15 mph.

Also, how's the fishing been so far? Hotspots?

Thanks

Dumbo_Dave
05-16-2011, 11:05 AM
There are many, many just submerged rocks and shallows in this lake - some of them near the middle of the lake! There is no Safe Area. You just have to learn the danger spots. Helps to be on the lake real early in the spring and explore when the levels are lower. Makes for great fishing with the Pike and pickerel finding lots of great habitat.

I tore up a brand new prop on it's first fishing trip last year near the middle of the lake thinking I was in a safe channel. Not a great lake for speed!

Shepherd7
05-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Ya, that a shame. I'll have to just keep er slow and troll out everything to start with. Hopefully I can learn the danger spots by not being the one hitting them. Appreciate it. Thanks

chubbdarter
05-16-2011, 12:04 PM
its kinda a long process getting to know CVR.....drop the bow mount and learn is the best way. Slow crawling up the west side will teach you lots. Remember to run your gps and mark structure. The beauty of CVR is the amount of structure all over the lake..makes long high speed runs unecessary for the most part.
Some key things that may help you..if the wind is blowing usually the rock piles just under the water will have a feed line or slick on the down wind side. Similar to the lines you see on a river below a submerged rock.
Also on CVR alot of the islands have rather sharp contours entering the water, its the ones that taper off into the water that should cause you to be extra careful.....those slow tapering islands most times have adjacent underwater fingers that extend for some distance.

npauls
05-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the great info everyone.

I have been wanting to go there for awhile and would have probably destroyed a prop or 2 not knowing any better. Hopefully I can get a trip or 2 out there this summer and see what this lake has to offer.

rielbowhunter
05-16-2011, 07:35 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:One more reason I have a jet boat,

goldentrout
05-16-2011, 10:59 PM
I fished over the weekend and did well. Go slow and fish shallow. Watch out for wind as this lake can get dangerous fast. The campground hosts are great and will help you for sure. Good luck

hunter49
05-16-2011, 11:37 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:One more reason I have a jet boat,

I dont think a jet is going to save your hull from being smashed in on a rock. :sign0161:

Photoplex
05-17-2011, 07:43 AM
I dont think a jet is going to save your hull from being smashed in on a rock. :sign0161:

x2

freeones
05-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Watch out for wind as this lake can get dangerous fast.

Not to be argumentative, but I think this is actually one of the safer lakes in southern AB to fish in terms of wind/storms, especially when compared to some of the big reservoirs or natural lakes in AB and SK. If you're in any kind of boat 17'+, I don't think you'd ever have much to fear if you use common sense.

Photoplex
05-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Not to be argumentative, but I think this is actually one of the safer lakes in southern AB to fish in terms of wind/storms, especially when compared to some of the big reservoirs or natural lakes in AB and SK. If you're in any kind of boat 17'+, I don't think you'd ever have much to fear if you use common sense.

I am also not trying to be argumentative, but we had some brutal days on CVR last year with the wind. There were times where we were hiding below the gunnel whilst battling our way back to the launch.

freeones
05-17-2011, 10:06 AM
I am also not trying to be argumentative, but we had some brutal days on CVR last year with the wind. There were times where we were hiding below the gunnel whilst battling our way back to the launch.

Fair enough. I guess everyone has a different perspective and tolerance for wind and weather.

chubbdarter
05-17-2011, 12:35 PM
2 years ago seen a boat make a run to the launch after a sudden storm blew up.....got up on plane for 2 minutes and then stuck it on a rock pile 100 yards from shore. Lady in the boat was freaking out to the point she was right pizzed i wouldnt pull up next to her and pick her up. She called me bad names...lol
All ended well after he lifted the leg and a wave pushed the tin off in about 15 minutes. Towed them in.
We went back out as the launch site was a gong show. When we did return later guess who was there....lol.....her husband made her wait there and thank us and apologise for calling me a #$#$^&*$$R#$$$....