PDA

View Full Version : Salted Minnows

Robotfish
05-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Anybody know if there is a shortage of salted minnows this year? Have been checking all my usual bait stores and cannot seem to find any around.

chubbdarter
05-17-2011, 11:46 AM
quality freezer minnows are a tough find right now

npauls
05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
I haven't found any salted minnows in the bait shop but did find enough of the regular ones.

I decided to start trapping them this year as well as leeches since I have heard of the bait shortage also. I set the trap for 24 hours and ended up getting quite a few minnows but haven't found the leeches yet. I will be heading back out to the traps tonight to see what I have caught. May have to move my leech traps to a different slew but the minnow traps are staying for awhile I am thinking.

Robotfish
05-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I am going to try the minnow trap myself. do you freeze them or can you preserve them in salt.

chubbdarter
05-17-2011, 12:51 PM
ive done a fair bit of experimenting and find a mild seasalt brine works best for me. Too much salt and they get way to hard....Too little and they get a brown yellowish belly.
If your not freezing them for a long time, just freeze them plain.

fishforsport
05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Anybody know if there is a shortage of salted minnows this year? Have been checking all my usual bait stores and cannot seem to find any around.

Try the Northside Fishin' Hole. I was there today and they had (6) tubs left.

Robotfish
05-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys I will give the brine mixture a try.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
05-17-2011, 03:05 PM
I always save my walleye belly and dry it after salting

and last year I tried small smelt from a grocery store. salted them fairly heavily. cut into smaller plugs seemed to work at my little lake

sheephunter
05-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Most of the minnow harvest in Manitoba is done in June so it will be a bit before you see a fresh supply in the stores.

drivinman22
05-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Most of the minnow harvest in Manitoba is done in June so it will be a bit before you see a fresh supply in the stores.

Actually most years the harvest is over by end of May to mid June. With all the flooding it may already be over ( ie may not start).

chubbdarter
05-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Actually most years the harvest is over by end of May to mid June. With all the flooding it may already be over ( ie may not start).

thats what i understand.....ive special ordered my minnows for so many years i cant remember......and always have them by now