PDA

View Full Version : Access to the Grand Forks

Dale S
05-17-2011, 06:12 PM
The Oldman River is flowing really high.It has cut off access to the island with a vehicle.A tall 4by4 might make it through it's got a hard bottom.

jacenbeers
05-17-2011, 06:59 PM
That sucks. I am going there this weekend. I guess we will be walking in for access to the area.

Stump thumper
05-17-2011, 07:03 PM
I am heading to Lethbridge for the long weekend and I am bringing my jet boat. I want to get out fishing, where is a good spot to put in at around that area?

Dale S
05-17-2011, 07:28 PM
There are a couple of boat launches in the city.But the fishing is tuff under these high water condition.The only fish you can target are sturgeon. The higher and dirtyer the water the better fishing is .Makes for fun boating.And as far as walking on, be careful .They are calling for rain this weekend and that river comes up fast after a rain.It takes about 2 days to peak after a good rain.

Stump thumper
05-17-2011, 08:13 PM
I know of the one down by the wier in the city but don't know where the second one is. I was thinking about launching at the forks one day and was going to try and catch a sturgeon. Being from Lethbridge I know the river valley around town but don't know the places around Grassy Lake or others. I am also a newby when it comes to sturgeon, but want to give it a whirl.

Dale S
05-17-2011, 08:21 PM
There is good access to the river(forks)there you just have to find the right spot to launch.

Stump thumper
05-17-2011, 08:35 PM
One would think with the water high like it is there should be a few different spots to put in if access is good, correct?

chubbdarter
05-17-2011, 08:39 PM
One would think with the water high like it is there should be a few different spots to put in if access is good, correct?

okay first off....im not looking for a fight or stirring chit

but if you dont know the drop sites, how well do you know the river?.....Its burning at a good clip right now and vis is ziltch.

Stump thumper
05-17-2011, 09:08 PM
okay first off....im not looking for a fight or stirring chit

but if you dont know the drop sites, how well do you know the river?.....Its burning at a good clip right now and vis is ziltch.

I understand what you are saying and that is why I am asking about launch sites, I am not a newbie when it comes to boating rivers but I do avoid them when the water is to high in the spring during runoff. I am also asking questions to help me decide if I even want to bring my boat and go out at all, I am not some kind of hero that is willing to risk my life on the river or anyone else's for that matter.

chubbdarter
05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I understand what you are saying and that is why I am asking about launch sites, I am not a newbie when it comes to boating rivers but I do avoid them when the water is to high in the spring during runoff. I am also asking questions to help me decide if I even want to bring my boat and go out at all, I am not some kind of hero that is willing to risk my life on the river or anyone else's for that matter.

well its high right now but not peak. Vis is zero so im relying on gps routes.

Dale S
05-18-2011, 07:29 PM
I find it the best boating condition during high water. The water starts going threw those small chanels and threw the trees. There is a spot by Taber with 50 acers of cottonwoods and 5 different chanels running threw it during high water.At 40 M.P.H. its a rush.And I like driving the chit out of my boat , thats what its built for.

jacenbeers
05-18-2011, 08:07 PM
I am going to head back there this weekend to hopefully hook into more sturgeon. Probably only on Saturday and not likely on the Island because it will likely be hard to get onto. I will go a little downstream.

Guitarplayingfish
05-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Was at the forks the other day... River is extremely high and muddy, Pulled out a lot of suckers... eventually got scared off by a 5-6 foot bull snake (thought it was a rattler at the time) who wanted our spot more than we did. Also, pulled out the biggest sucker my friend and I have ever EVER seen. It was huge. Good luck.

Dale S
05-19-2011, 03:36 PM
The Oldman has dropped about 6in. in the last day. So you only have to drive though 16 to 18 ins. of water to get to the island.A guy pulled his 28ft. 5th wheel through the water this morning (Thur,).The bad news is the best spots are taken.People have been leaving there campers there for weeks at a time.Tying up the best spots.(Thats not wright)

Robotfish
05-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Iknow the owner of one of the trailers there and he is not simply leaving his trailer there. He's there every night fishing late. Then goes into town to work.

Gary K
05-25-2011, 11:58 AM
is it crown land around there? i was thinking of pitching a tent this saturday for the night. i can see on the east side it is a grazing lease. but cant seem to find any infor on the taber (west) side. id love to head out there friday night and fish saturday.
never hooked a sturgeon! and really want to

Dale S
05-25-2011, 06:44 PM
The campground is on a island so it's puplic lands and falls under the rules of all puplic lands in Alberta. The M.D. of Taber are stewards of the camp ground.The land on the south side of the river is all privite land.But there is 800 3m/sec. coming down the river and with a rain fall warning you will not be able to get on the island. Last weekend there was 12in. of water to drive through. The river has come up 2ft. since then and I'm sure it will rise more by the weekend.

Big Turk
05-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Anyone having any luck down there?? fishing from shore?

Robotfish
05-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Was there for the last 4 days. Caught 2 stugeon, 2 ling and 2 walleye. Had to pull out this morning, river rose at least a foot overnight with much more rain on the way.

chubbdarter
05-25-2011, 08:18 PM
that heavy water will bring alot of fish up

Dale S
05-25-2011, 09:11 PM
that heavy water will bring alot of fish up

Best time of the year.Its going to be good this weekend.

chubbdarter
05-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Best time of the year.Its going to be good this weekend.

booyaahh......its a beautiful thing when a plan comes together.

p.s.for all of you wanting a trip of a life time

Go to the General Section and check out the Auction for the victims of Slave lake......Dago has put up a Tremendous auction item.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=92320&page=11

Help fellow albertans in need....it could be YOU who someday will be in position of need