PDA

View Full Version : East pit

ShhImFishing
05-17-2011, 11:37 PM
My friend got the day off tomorrow and invited me to go with him to practice fly fishing on East Pit Lake, this will be my first time fly fishing a lake, 2nd time fly fishing all together. Both of us are beginners and have read good things about east pit.

Has anyone fly fished here before? Can anyone suggest which flies to use? I believe its stocked with rainbows so thats what we would be going for. Any suggestions would be helpful, Thanks.

Cant wait to get out there :sHa_shakeshout:

BGSH
05-17-2011, 11:45 PM
its an open lake, with not alot of trees, so getting hung up will not be an issue, it is stocked with bows, some can weight as much as 4pounds, it is about a 10-15 minute walk depending on where in the lake you want to fish, can be a 45 minutes walk to the end but i had all the best fishing at the end, never caught a 4 pounder my biggest was 15 inches at eastpit, i love looking for moose tracks and what not, lots of moose around east pit

carterM
05-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Yes it's a good lake for learning to fly cast. As Shawn said, it's very open so you don't have to worry about trees behind you. You can also reach deep water without being able to cast really far, which is a huge bonus when you're just getting started. There's nothing worse than having a bunch of trout rising in front of you but not being able to reach them.

I've also heard that the end farthest away from where you park is better fishing. It's alot longer walk, but really once you've already walked down into it (it's an old strip mine) you've done all the work so going a little farther isn't really that big of a deal.