PDA

View Full Version : Smoked northern pike

great white whaler
05-18-2011, 08:49 PM
smoked pike ,anybody try it ? any respice secrets ?

brohymn2
05-18-2011, 08:50 PM
the bradley smoker forum has lots of good recipes

WayneChristie
05-18-2011, 08:52 PM
I did some burbs last winter, probably do some pike this year the same way, just ground up montreal steak spice and rubbed it on, then smoked it. the burb was awesome!

great white whaler
05-18-2011, 09:10 PM
I did some burbs last winter, probably do some pike this year the same way, just ground up montreal steak spice and rubbed it on, then smoked it. the burb was awesome!

how long in the smoker ? i have a little eletric chief.

trigger7mm
05-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Done it up lots of times. First brine it for about 3 hrs. 8 cups water, 2/3 cup of coarse salt, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 4 squirts lemon juice, 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tbsp whorchester sauce. Let fillets air dry for an hour. Let brine for 21/2-3 hours. Smoke at 120 degrees (more or less) until it looks done, about 31/2 hours. I cover the fish with brown sugar for the last half hour or so. (then go hide it somewhere, because if your kids are like mine, it will be gone in no time.) lol. Another good recipe is to cut fillets up in cubes, wrap them in bacon, marinade for 2 hours in vesty italian salad dressing, then barbeque them on a foil sheet. Brush them with barbeque sauce once in a while. Make lots, they go quick too.:sHa_shakeshout:

Duramaximos
05-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Seems a little hot for a cold smoke, are you actually cooking it?
My only worry about smoking pike is the rumours I hear about worms...has anyone encountered a wormy pike from southern alberta reservoirs?

nof60
05-18-2011, 10:10 PM
I can never get them to stay lit :bad_boys_20:

FishingFrenzy
05-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Smoked bull trout is way better :sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
05-19-2011, 07:21 AM
how long in the smoker ? i have a little eletric chief.

it was too cold when I did them, left it in the smoker all day then finished them off in the oven, still worked good, I have the same smoker.

WayneChristie
05-19-2011, 07:22 AM

no where near as good as fresh smoked sturgeon, especially paintballed ones! :scared0018:

pecker
05-19-2011, 11:35 PM
no where near as good as fresh smoked sturgeon, especially paintballed ones! :scared0018:

Holy Cow :3yfm7ut:

Photoplex
05-20-2011, 12:00 AM

Obviously trolling, but I'll just say this in case any newcomers (to the forum, or fishing in Alberta) read this - Bull Trout are a protected species in Alberta. There is a 0 possession limit, and the fine for having one are crazy high. You can also have your possessions, and vehicle confiscated on the spot.

Remember, "There ain't no black? Throw it back...". No black spots on the body. No black spots on the dorsal fin.

http://www.newheathens.com/uploaded_images/Bull-Trout-771884.jpg

WayneChristie
05-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Holy Cow :3yfm7ut:
:rolleye2:

lippy
05-21-2011, 08:23 AM
:)smoked pike ,anybody try it ? any respice secrets ?

Here is a no fail brine recipe( circa 1960's):
1 gallon of water
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 medium size onion minced
1 tblsp black pepper
4 ounces lemon juice
4 ounces brown sugar
1 cup pickling salt

Place fish in brine - 12 hours fresh - 24 hours frozen - stir a couple of times during the brine process. Rinse in cold water... pat or air dry - place in smoker.
I use a lil'chief also..finish off in an oven but don't dry out the fish too much.
I have used this on pike and it is good but but it is better with trout/salmon.

NEWB
03-31-2013, 01:00 PM
:)

Here is a no fail brine recipe( circa 1960's):
1 gallon of water
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 medium size onion minced
1 tblsp black pepper
4 ounces lemon juice
4 ounces brown sugar
1 cup pickling salt

Place fish in brine - 12 hours fresh - 24 hours frozen - stir a couple of times during the brine process. Rinse in cold water... pat or air dry - place in smoker.
I use a lil'chief also..finish off in an oven but don't dry out the fish too much.
I have used this on pike and it is good but but it is better with trout/salmon.

To bump an old thread...

I'm trying out your recipie right now. My pike is in the brine. I'll be smoking it tomorrow night and I will post how it turned out.

Rumtan
03-31-2013, 05:00 PM
What kind of smoker are you using NEWB?

Elliot Moose
03-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Used to smoke them all the time in Northern Ontario in a little cheapo electric smoker like Whaler and Trigger are talking about. Brine and then smoke. The little smokers should be hot enough to cook out any worms. They are FANTASTIC like this! Not exactly like your cold smoked salmon style, but great all the same. That's the only way we ate them back there. We had more walleye than we could eat, so we only kept the big pike (like over 20lbs) that we couldn't release without killing them for one reason or another.

I sure miss fishing like that! Good luck with the smoking.

NEWB
03-31-2013, 09:40 PM
What kind of smoker are you using NEWB?

The Bradley Digital Smoker.

NEWB
04-01-2013, 11:41 PM
To bump an old thread...

I'm trying out your recipie right now. My pike is in the brine. I'll be smoking it tomorrow night and I will post how it turned out.

The recipie wasn't bad. I found it a little too salty for my taste. I would cut back the salt to maybe 1/2 cup.

I smoked the pike for 3 hrs at 120 F (temp set) untill the internal temp reached 149F. My smoker will heat up nicely, however it seems to warm up past the preset temp regularly. I smoked it using applewood.

Overall I enjoyed the recipie on this fish and wouldn't hesitate to use it again with a few amendments to it.

whitetailnut
05-03-2020, 10:02 PM
I tried this today. Used 3/4 cup of salt and extra garlic. Smoked it at 150 for 3 1/2 hours at 150 in my 4 rack Bradley. Did 2 pike and a lake trout. Wife really enjoyed it, I found it a lot better cold. Thanks for the recipe.

Stinky Buffalo
05-04-2020, 09:20 AM
Wonder if this could be adapted for a Pellet grill (Traeger, LG etc.)?

pinelakeperch
05-04-2020, 09:24 AM
I'm dying to smoke some goldeye. Of course, now that I have a smoker, I can't seem to catch any. Couldn't keep them away when I didn't have the means to cook them :sHa_sarcasticlol:

CNP
05-04-2020, 09:35 AM
Wonder if this could be adapted for a Pellet grill (Traeger, LG etc.)?

What temp can you get your pellet grill down to? I smoke a full load ( 4 X 4# trout) at 180 for 3.5 hours in my Bradley. Your pellet grill may not be able to smoke at these lower temps. The brines and recipes above look like electric smoker projects. Does Traeger not have a forum for recipes?

Stinky Buffalo
05-04-2020, 09:59 AM
What temp can you get your pellet grill down to? I smoke a full load ( 4 X 4# trout) at 180 for 3.5 hours in my Bradley. Your pellet grill may not be able to smoke at these lower temps. The brines and recipes above look like electric smoker projects. Does Traeger not have a forum for recipes?

Thanks, CNP. My grill goes down to 170 - And good idea, Traeger has recipies for fish - I'll see if any of those look good for Pike.