PDA

View Full Version : Outboard on the peace river

Fishgut
05-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Is it possible to put an outboard in the river, is there channels deep enough to go up or down to do some fishing.

KegRiver
05-18-2011, 10:13 PM
That depends.

Downstream of the town of Peace River, yes. But you need to know how to read the river. The channels are there, but there can be sandbars in places you would not expect. And the channels can and do move from year to year.

Back when this area was being settled, there used to be paddle wheal boats just like those that ran the Mississippi that ran from Peace River downstream to Hay River and beyond. The last one was named The D A Thomas and at least part of it is on display at the Provincial Museum in Edmonton.

I am only familiar with the River from the Manning area down river to Tompkins landing. Although I have done a bit of boating around Fort Vermilion.

Through that section of the river I have ran boats up to 350hp and 35 feet in length. But I wouldn't recommend anything bigger then 18 feet and 35hp until you know the channels and the river, because channels do change, sometimes by quiet a lot.

Upstream of the town of Peace River is unknown territory to me. I do believe it is navigable at least to the BC border. But I don't know that.

Be aware, there are chutes down steam of Fort Vermilion that are not navigable. Don't even think of trying it.
One last thing. The river runs south to north.
That's opposite to what most North American rivers run.

50/50
05-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Many outboards go up from Peace River to the Smoky -Peace Junction .. one of the better places to fish ...about a 5 km run ..