PDA

View Full Version : south saskatchewan river

icefisher11
05-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Is it possible to put an outboard in there? has anyone done it?
im thinking about trying it but would like to hear some opinions first.

Dale S
05-19-2011, 06:42 AM
I've done at the forks but you can't leave the area.I've seen people skiing right in the city of Medicine Hat with an outbourd. So people do do it but all it takes 1 mistake.

Shawnlh
05-19-2011, 10:06 AM
You have to "know" the river, it can get very shallow. In the summer, we've walked across in a few spots.

icefisher11
05-19-2011, 10:32 AM
think it would be possible to launch in town and head up to the forks? thinking about going soon while the waters still high?

chubbdarter
05-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Its not that people dont want to help....in all the threads lately about the Oldman/SSR but its kinda a tough call.
No one has any idea about the HP you have or your river running experience etc etc etc.
Its very similar to the controversial threads is the ice safe threads.
If you have a big spout and can run hard the river is pretty safe.....you balk or second quess and pull back you could be going for a barrel roll.

No one needs to hear back.....you said i could do its and look what happened!!

icefisher11
05-19-2011, 01:30 PM
16', 90hp. I dont have a ton of experience, but have done a few bigger rivers with it in bc. and i wouldnt be blaming anyone if something happend. i made the choice to do it so it comes down on me only.

Shawnlh
05-19-2011, 02:21 PM
I think right now may be a bad time. The water is very dirty, "zero" visibility for shallow spots. But the river is up a bit. Your call.

Dale S
05-19-2011, 02:44 PM
.If you mean Medicine Hat to the forks make sure you have a back up plan.
I'm sure you will hit 1 rock along the way

chubbdarter
05-19-2011, 04:32 PM
16', 90hp. I dont have a ton of experience, but have done a few bigger rivers with it in bc. and i wouldnt be blaming anyone if something happend. i made the choice to do it so it comes down on me only.

understood and appreciated....but you know what i mean.

when did you want to try run the river? we should be down there numerous times in the next few weeks

madatter
05-19-2011, 08:56 PM
I've bent a prop or two on the SSR,ripped off the bottom sail of my last 25hp motor.
One thing I didn't like doing was trying it when water was very murky...you just can't see enough to avoid danger,it's hard enough with clearer water.
You can launch at the forks and fish the area but do not go down too far or you won't get back.
You could launch in the Hat at Strathcona Park and go up and down a bit...do not go down past where Seven Persons Creek enters the river....you won't get back!
You could launch at Echodale and actually get upstream a ways but with dirty water I wouldn't try it.
All in all I wouldn't try....