PDA

View Full Version : Caught a WHOPPER In Spruce Meadows

Maverick2097
05-19-2011, 12:59 PM
my partner got a fish and told me to grab the plyers, and so i did, and then the fish came to the surface. It was 21 inches long and weighed about 5 lbs, we WERE SO EXCITED!!!!!!! ofcourse its C&R so we let it go, it was awesome, this is real!:sHa_shakeshout:

Bound2Fish
05-19-2011, 04:05 PM
What kind of fish was it? Any pics?

Teamprotz
05-19-2011, 04:13 PM
.??????

deepfried
05-19-2011, 05:23 PM
pics ???

Christofficer
05-19-2011, 05:36 PM
I checked that place out a few days ago and the water was mud brown. Has it cleared yet?

jts1
05-19-2011, 06:13 PM
I was there yesterday and pulled 30 or so. Water is dark but it's no issue.

Dust1n
05-19-2011, 08:28 PM
my partner got a fish and told me to grab the plyers, and so i did, and then the fish came to the surface. It was 21 inches long and weighed about 5 lbs, we WERE SO EXCITED!!!!!!! ofcourse its C&R so we let it go, it was awesome, this is real!:sHa_shakeshout:
rainbow.

TyreeUM
05-19-2011, 10:35 PM
a 21 inch 5lb rainbow...that had to be one FAT fish...I don't think I have caught a 21 inch rainbow that weighed much more than 3 to 3.5 pounds...do you have any pictures of that fat pig?

Calgaryguy1977
05-20-2011, 06:05 AM
I'm pretty sure you can use bait there cant ya? Gonna have to get the ol fly rod out there again! I may take someone with me that will be chuckin bait.

RBS14.5
05-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Do you have to pay to fish here?

Calgaryguy1977
05-20-2011, 08:16 AM
I think you need to own a horse

tacklerunner
05-20-2011, 08:48 AM
I've been biting my tongue so as not to bump this thread but it's a private pond on private property.

So far the owners have not closed it off to the public but they will if neccessary. It's probably not the best place to take your buddies fishing. There are better options further east on 22x in Kananaskis east of Bragg Creek.

I highly recommend not going there with bait. It's strictly C&R as posted by the owners. If they see a dead fish due to swallowing bait... well, you know.

I'm not pointing fingers, just saying and giving you the heads up.

The best thing one can do is let this thread die.

IMHO

TR

Sundancefisher
05-20-2011, 10:43 AM
I've been biting my tongue so as not to bump this thread but it's a private pond on private property.

So far the owners have not closed it off to the public but they will if neccessary. It's probably not the best place to take your buddies fishing. There are better options further east on 22x in Kananaskis east of Bragg Creek.

I highly recommend not going there with bait. It's strictly C&R as posted by the owners. If they see a dead fish due to swallowing bait... well, you know.

I'm not pointing fingers, just saying and giving you the heads up.

The best thing one can do is let this thread die.

IMHO

TR

Not true.

This is from their website.

http://www.sprucemeadows.com/experience/

The pond is private and owned by Spruce Meadows. It is catch and release and open to the public. This has been discussed before. If people abuse it...they could shut it down. Having people fishing it respectfully will help protect it.

"The pond at the east entrance to Spruce Meadows is stocked every spring and is popular for catch and release fishing each day during non-tournament times in the summer (please park in Lot #4)."

Okotokian
05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Not true.

The pond is private and owned by Spruce Meadows. It is catch and release and open to the public. This has been discussed before. If people abuse it...they could shut it down. Having people fishing it respectfully will help protect it.

"The pond at the east entrance to Spruce Meadows is stocked every spring and is popular for catch and release fishing each day during non-tournament times in the summer (please park in Lot #4)."

:sHa_shakeshout: BUSTED.... Tacklerunner was just trying to keep others from his favourite fishing hole. Of course he thought "The best thing one can do is let this thread die." ;) LOL jk

tacklerunner
05-20-2011, 11:55 AM
:sHa_shakeshout: BUSTED.... Tacklerunner was just trying to keep others from his favourite fishing hole. Of course he thought "The best thing one can do is let this thread die." ;) LOL jk

Hahaha... never been there actually. :)

Not true.

Is this not exactly what I said in not so many words? Just trying to protect the resource and keep it fun for everyone especially kids. Never been but was thinking of taking a group of 5 - 6 yr olds there in June. Now die thread, die! :budo:
:)

Maverick2097
05-20-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty sure you can use bait there cant ya? Gonna have to get the ol fly rod out there again! I may take someone with me that will be chuckin bait.

yes you can use bait, and it was a fat one, and it was a rainbow trout, and sorry no pics, didnt have the camera (forgot!)

Gust
05-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Hahaha... never been there actually. :)

Is this not exactly what I said in not so many words? Just trying to protect the resource and keep it fun for everyone especially kids. Never been but was thinking of taking a group of 5 - 6 yr olds there in June. Now die thread, die! :budo:
:)

Hey tackle,, I'll send you another lake about an hour out of town that's absolutely perfect for teaching kids about fishing, fly/spin or worm, or troll. And they taste great too and it's kid friendly (no whirlpools or such).

I'm working this long weekend, a last minute asap call on Wednesday, so my long weekend starts on Tuesday, oh well.

jts1
05-20-2011, 08:22 PM
yes you can use bait, and it was a fat one, and it was a rainbow trout, and sorry no pics, didnt have the camera (forgot!)

The pond is C&R only and NO BAIT. You would need to be blind not to see the HUGE signs posted everywhere around the pond. As said before it is open to the public. But if abused it will be closed down for sure. There is better fishing in other locations. And if you are looking for a meal or a fish bigger than a pound I would suggest going elsewhere. But for kids or someone just learning it is ideal. Only reason I was there is because of the perch netting that night in the area.

Sundancefisher
05-20-2011, 09:59 PM
The pond is C&R only and NO BAIT. You would need to be blind not to see the HUGE signs posted everywhere around the pond. As said before it is open to the public. But if abused it will be closed down for sure. There is better fishing in other locations. And if you are looking for a meal or a fish bigger than a pound I would suggest going elsewhere. But for kids or someone just learning it is ideal. Only reason I was there is because of the perch netting that night in the area.

LOL

This lake gets tons of posts over the years on many forums. Fishing is not awesome...so it does not get swamped. Plus the skeeters carry 90% of the fishermen away. Still with doomsday tomorrow...fish there in the morning...come get perch in the afternoon...eat perch then watch doomsday earthquakes on CNN.

Makes for a well rounded day.

Cheers
Sun

BobLoblaw
08-12-2011, 10:37 PM

Since I was in the area today, I decided to take a picture of the sign at the pond...

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3951/p8120398.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/p8120398.jpg/)

Does not say "NO BAIT"...???

cujo1969
08-12-2011, 11:46 PM
If it a private stocked pond does a person need a license to fish there

jacenbeers
08-13-2011, 10:37 AM
I agree with those that said this is a great learner pond. There are a few lunkers in there that have survived a lot of winters but most are tiny. There is a lot of open space to learn how to fly cast and enough little rainbows to keep you busy. Champion Lakes, Mclean Pond and Allan Bill are just a little bit further down 22X and offer better fishing most of the time and you can keep them if that is what you are interested in.

sureshot
08-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Pics or it didn't happen.

Andy

Christofficer
08-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Bobloblaw, thanks for settling it. I remember the little debates about not using bait there. I always said, bait is just fine to use here. I always hook up with some bait when I go, it's always fun finding bugs to use. Last time I used slugs I found under a rock and they worked great.

I'm surprised some fish actually survive the winter in there though.

commieboy
08-13-2011, 05:22 PM
I remember this debate and was thinking to post a pic of the sign myself. Doesn't say "No Bait".

I'm not trying to fan the flames again.... but when I called Spruce Meadows to enquire about open times, I remember the operator telling me distinctly that no bait was allowed. Maybe I heard wrong? There sure were a lot of folks using bait when I was there last time, and some grounds people who didn't mention anything to said baiters.

Anyway, great pond.

BGSH
08-13-2011, 06:19 PM
isnt spruce meadows in st albert?

Lefty-Canuck
08-13-2011, 10:20 PM
isnt spruce meadows in st albert?

No thats Spruce Grove, right next to Sherwood Forest a little West of Nottingham...er I mean Edmonton.

LC :)