PDA

View Full Version : Perfection loop vs. Bowline

lineman4 life
05-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Any reasons a bowline shouldn't be used in place of a perfection loop? Much easier to tie but not sure if it maybe decreases line strength more than perfection. Just curious

Rick.
05-20-2011, 10:53 PM
What's your intended use? A perfection loop is easier for me to tie than a bow line. When it comes to knots I always feel dyslexic. Rick.

alodar
05-20-2011, 10:58 PM
As far as a discussion in my ert training class today my instructor i.formed me the bowline is only 50% effective. Loses half the rated strength. I have no documentation on the fact though. The p loop is rated much higher after an onoine search i found that people rate the bowline amywhere from 50% to 77%

Photoplex
05-20-2011, 11:22 PM
From my understanding, the bow line is great under constant load. But under alternating load/slack conditions, it works itself loose. To negate this, you need a really big tag end, which doesn't make it very stealthy.

It's also difficult to tie. Not sure how you find it so easy :confused:

Surgeons loops for this guy!

alodar
05-20-2011, 11:25 PM
If u tie the bowline then an overhand knot on the tag end it shouldnt work it self loose however if u want to tie the knot around an object bowline is better for knot strength the loop is better and binds up very well so very low chance of slippage

Geezle
05-21-2011, 03:45 PM
From my understanding, the bow line is great under constant load. But under alternating load/slack conditions, it works itself loose. To negate this, you need a really big tag end, which doesn't make it very stealthy.

It's also difficult to tie. Not sure how you find it so easy :confused:

Surgeons loops for this guy!

X2 I always tie my snells with a surgeon's loop on the end