PDA

View Full Version : Lynx while fishing

TyreeUM
05-21-2011, 08:13 AM
I was just fishing rainbows at a lake a few hours north of me and had this guy watching us. I have never seen one before so it was pretty excited. Sorry the picture isn't national geographic worthy, he didn't seem to interested in me getting much closer. Our rabbit population up north has exploded in the last two years so I am hoping we have more lynx running around soon.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=906&pictureid=2939

WayneChristie
05-21-2011, 08:21 AM
nice, thats one animal Ive never had the pleasure of seeing in the wild

great white whaler
05-21-2011, 10:12 AM
had a lynx walk up to me one time while i was cleaning a deer,was going to shot it but changed my mind ,i hear they well attack people over food.

TyreeUM
05-21-2011, 10:17 AM
I have never heard of a lynx attacking a human...but I sure would be intimidated if one came up on me in a situation like that...I have seen a lot of bobcats when I lived on the east coast, and didn't realize how big the lynx actually was until I saw this one...

great white whaler
05-21-2011, 10:26 AM
they look big up close ,i no some one back east who was attacked by a lynx,the guy was carrying rabbits on is back and got jumped,he ended up stabbing the thing to death,i can still picture it hanging in the cliff, it was close to 7 feet long.

DaveFish
05-21-2011, 10:49 AM
they look big up close ,i no some one back east who was attacked by a lynx,the guy was carrying rabbits on is back and got jumped,he ended up stabbing the thing to death,i can still picture it hanging in the cliff, it was close to 7 feet long.

Think you're think of a cougar, lynx only get up to barely over a meter long.

TyreeUM
05-21-2011, 11:08 AM
im not sure there are many cougars "back east" though...

Speckle55
05-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Nice Pic Matt.. they will attack humans in certain conditions .. most are rabbid though ..i have seen lots over the years and have had no problems even saw two last year hunting and was in the right area to hear a kitten calling for food in another area ..and saw the tracks .. was neat.. with the rabbit cycle up so will the lynx ..when i was young 14 my dog treed a lynx and i saw so went and got my Dad who shot it as we had a acreage with chickens and the Lynx had been caught in a trap as it was missing one front paw..Lynx hides are worth big money this year $300 to 900 for a good prime big mature one..so how was fishing?

TyreeUM
05-21-2011, 11:27 AM
fishing was fantastic....I need a larger arbor on my reel though...I can't keep up to those big rainbows when they run right at you. Must have lost 4 or 5 that way. Still got a good number of 6 and 7 pounders though...

great white whaler
05-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Think you're think of a cougar, lynx only get up to barely over a meter long.

there's no cougar in nfld,it had pointed ears and long legs

Speckle55
05-21-2011, 11:40 AM
fishing was fantastic....I need a larger arbor on my reel though...I can't keep up to those big rainbows when they run right at you. Must have lost 4 or 5 that way. Still got a good number of 6 and 7 pounders though...

Nice Grats .. love those runs back at you we had a laker do that yesterday he couldn't keep up but didn,t lose it.. 6 lber on fly rod full sink with a flat fish .. i got a 3 1/2 laker(rap) that was our limit 2 over 50 cm ..wow beautiful day though saw 100 elk ,40 deer ,1 moose and 20 sheep going through Jasper to Moose Lake BC

TyreeUM
05-21-2011, 11:40 AM
there's no cougar in nfld,it had pointed ears and long legs

maybe it was a chupacabra

pickrel pat
05-21-2011, 01:11 PM
they look big up close ,i no some one back east who was attacked by a lynx,the guy was carrying rabbits on is back and got jumped,he ended up stabbing the thing to death,i can still picture it hanging in the cliff, it was close to 7 feet long.you do realize a big bear is 6 feet long? lmao!

pointer
05-21-2011, 01:18 PM
had a lynx walk up to me one time while i was cleaning a deer,was going to shot it but changed my mind ,i hear they well attack people over food.

X2 i got pics of 2 that i traped back east im 6 foot and they were as tall as me but thats from back paws to front paws probely 4.5 from nose to tail

TyreeUM
05-21-2011, 03:00 PM
yeah I don't think they get much over 4 feet from nose to tail...

pointer
05-21-2011, 03:40 PM
that was a big tom. i watched one a few years back chasing a trout that was under the ice dident have a cam on me but it was funny to watch

Daceminnow
05-21-2011, 08:37 PM
I was just fishing rainbows at a lake a few hours north of me and had this guy watching us. I have never seen one before so it was pretty excited. Sorry the picture isn't national geographic worthy, he didn't seem to interested in me getting much closer. Our rabbit population up north has exploded in the last two years so I am hoping we have more lynx running around soon.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=906&pictureid=2939

very cool ty. i have come across these guys many times in the bush. very timid, very curious animals. typical cat. most times i think they have the - i'll sit tight he doesn't see me attitude. a pie plate glistening is the sun down a pipeline is a sure bet to bring them in for a closer look. whoops, sorry not the trapping section of the forum.

Dace