PDA

View Full Version : crayfish trap?

willy
12-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Where can a guy get one would like to try to catch some in mcgregor?

tchow
12-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Before you do that, you might want to check with your Local F&W office first. Get some clarification whether or not if it is legal or not.

Redfrog
12-17-2007, 07:11 AM
I've used the minnow type traps, with the funnel on each end. You may have to enlarge the funnel a bit. Bait with weiners or chicken back . I've caught lots that way.

burbotman
12-18-2007, 04:40 PM
I had been under the impression that crayfish in alberta were only found in the beaver river drainage.
Has anyone actually caught crayfish in Macgreggor/Travers?

stormy
12-18-2007, 04:47 PM
i cut open a pike from travers that had 2-crayfish for lunch

jrs
12-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I know of them in Henderson Lake in Lethbridge (thousands and thousands), the Oldman River (plenty showing up as far downstream as Taber), and Nose Creek by Airdrie (only walked over a few times but saw a bunch in the shallows). I've heard of guys getting them in Travers, never seen any there myself however.

schimmel
12-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Anybody ever eat them. I know when I was a kid I would go camping with my grandparents in manitoba & we kids would sit on the dock all day & catch them. Then we would boil them up at night & eat um. Great with melted butter. Miniature fresh water lobster.

SakoAlberta
12-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Catch, and eat, them from the Battle River. Some are a nice size. I've also caught them in the Pinehouse area in SK but they are much smaller and a bit of a pain to eat. I bought some traps from Cabelas meant for crayfish. Same as a minnow trap(except for one rectangular one) but the end holes a little different size. I use an open tin of cat food for bait although fish heads might be better(I use them when in SK) If using fish heads you will have to make sure the crayfish cannot get at them from underneath or you won't catch many as they will all just sit under the trap.
A little dry mustard(sweetens the meat) and salt in the water and boil for a couple of minutes. Dip in melted butter and they are great tasting!

schimmel
12-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Were about in the battle river. I haven't had any in just about 30 years wouldn't mind trying them again. That's if don't mind giving up your honey hole lol.

willy
12-18-2007, 07:21 PM
we caught one thru ice in travers 5" long and was told theres lots in south mcgregor. So gonna try to catch some.

SakoAlberta
12-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Were about in the battle river. I haven't had any in just about 30 years wouldn't mind trying them again. That's if don't mind giving up your honey hole lol.

I don't think its a honey hole. I'm near the SK border. Kids catch them under the bridge on 897 all the time with a butterfly net. Some about 5" long.

hafwit
12-18-2007, 09:12 PM
beware of salmonella in the hot summer months. not as common in crayfish as freshwater clams but still exists.

bearbait
12-19-2007, 12:02 PM
carson has millions of them but not allowed to catch or keep them...we caught a branch with this one on it...
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/bearbaits/027.jpg

lippy
12-19-2007, 12:11 PM
I had been under the impression that crayfish in alberta were only found in the beaver river drainage.
Has anyone actually caught crayfish in Macgreggor/Travers?

Since that big flood on the S.Saskatchewan in 1995 there is a substantial population of them in the S.E. corner of the province around Medicine Hat.

KyleM
12-19-2007, 01:07 PM
When I was commercial fishing for bait in Ontario a number of years ago a net was used.

All you need is a tiny sein net, not sure if thats legal here (maybe 30 inch).
Check the regs on that one but if it is legal....

Drag the thing behind you in the shallows while kicking up as many rocks as possible. We used to get about 100 within 15 min.

Traps dont work all that well but its possible to use them.

Dead baitfish attract them very well.

MathewsArcher
12-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Lots showing up in the N. Sask Drainage as well. Saw hundreds electrofishing in Blackmud creek in edmonton this summer.

thumper
12-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Zebra mussels were hard on the little buggers in Ontario. I've seen a few there so encrusted with mussels that they can hardly move.

GPBuzz
12-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Bearbait, are you sure Carson wants them left alone? I remeber being there this summer and they were classifying them as pests.

Jims71duster
12-21-2007, 05:20 PM

wellll ya learn sumthin everyday,,I bin lookin down ice holes in that lake every winter for close to 30 years and never saw one?? Kinda adds a new thought on how to fish there

bearbait
12-22-2007, 08:44 AM
yup asked f&w after i got this one...

honda450
12-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Used to take my son to the Morinville Pond on the south side of Morinville and west of the hiway. Used a little dip net and caught dozens in there,

Donny Bear
12-22-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm with Redfrog on the minnow trap enlarge the opening and presto I was all excited but unless somethings changed I dont think you can keep em

honda450
12-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Well if you smelled those ones we caught in Morinville Pond you wouldn.t want to keep them either. Like sewage.

duffy4
12-22-2007, 10:49 AM
They called these guys "Yabbies" in Australia. I caught quite a few and ate them like little lobsters. They use small ones for bait for a lot of fishing.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/100_2582.jpg

Not sure what the regulations governing catching them in Alberta are. I know that F&W does not want to see any critters moved from one water body to another. So you may not be able to possess them live, except at the water body you caught them in.

Robin in Rocky

Donny Bear
12-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Well if you smelled those ones we caught in Morinville Pond you wouldn.t want to keep them either. Like sewage.

I guess thats why a lot of people call Lobster and such the cochroaches of the sea:lol: I know you can catch them in the battle river but I would not eat a fish out of there let alone a bottom scavenger:sick: I love crawfish eat them lots in the south but don't know where they come from that helps:lol: I know you can have the shipped from Louisiana at a good price. I'm babbling but Honda450's comment made me think of cheach and Chong's Taste like S--- lucky we didnt step in it:lol:

bingo1010
12-22-2007, 07:29 PM
I don't think its a honey hole. I'm near the SK border. Kids catch them under the bridge on 897 all the time with a butterfly net. Some about 5" long.

they are at least as far up the battle as the power plant, have seen thousands of them below the dam, see them above also. they were not here 15 years ago so i am not sure where they came from. it would be a long slow journey up the battle river from the N. sask. river.

Salvelinus
12-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Since that big flood on the S.Saskatchewan in 1995 there is a substantial population of them in the S.E. corner of the province around Medicine Hat.

On the Oldman they are as far as Lethbridge, but the populations don't get very large until Taber. Don't know about the Bow side of things

madatter
12-23-2007, 01:15 PM

I was about to say the same thing.
These little buggers can be very aggressive,the one day we were sitting in a backwater upstream of Redcliff and could not keep them off the minnows.
Never tried to save em but we probably caught over 20 of em on the minnows!!!
They can get pretty mean too when you play with em in the boat!:lol:

HighRiver
02-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I have seen tons of crwfish in the battle river between Forestburg and Camrose. Two are very happy in my 60 gallon aquarium. I know alot of folks from around Forestburg that use them as bait for walleyes in the Battle river.

deepfried
02-24-2011, 08:05 PM
07 to 2011 wow this goes back aways !!!!!!!!!!!!!
But I wouldnt mind hearing more about catching crawfish , wouldnt mind trying to catch some myself !

deanmc
02-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Bearbait, are you sure Carson wants them left alone? I remeber being there this summer and they were classifying them as pests.

yup asked f&w after i got this one...

Has that changed recently? The kids caught tonnes last summer. They had almost an entire ice cream bucket. We boiled them up and they are good.

I talked to fish and wildlife and the park wardens because i wanted to set crayfish traps. Both told me it was legal to catch and keep them as long as you killed them immediately. The trap was also legal if constantly supervised which seemed to me defeated the purpose of the trap.

nicemustang
02-24-2011, 08:58 PM
You can't trap crayfish in AB. Right in the regs.

Crayfish
Crayfish are native to the Beaver River system. However, they appear to have been illegally introduced into many Alberta waters and may be adversely affecting aquatic ecosystems.
Some people have expressed a desire to consume crayfish. In all waters other than the Beaver River, people may catch crayfish for consumption. Legal capture methods include angling (sportfishing regulations apply) or catching them by hand. No licence is required to capture crayfish by hand. The retention and transport of live crayfish is illegal and all retained crayfish must be immediately killed to prevent the spread of this species. Please help prevent the spread of invasive species.

baptiste_moose
02-24-2011, 10:29 PM
I lived in montana and we used to catch them outta echo lake. Take plastic 4L milk jugs and cut an entrance halfway up. Put a couple rocks in there and a fish head. Tie a string to it and throw it in. Leave it 20 hrs and pull it up fast. Lots work but damn good if the water source is clean. Toss them in water and listen to them whistle.

horsetrader
02-25-2011, 12:00 AM
get the small ones coat them deep-fry them eat them whole nice and crunchy

deanmc
02-25-2011, 05:33 AM

Crayfish
Crayfish are native to the Beaver River system. However, they appear to have been illegally introduced into many Alberta waters and may be adversely affecting aquatic ecosystems.
Some people have expressed a desire to consume crayfish. In all waters other than the Beaver River, people may catch crayfish for consumption. Legal capture methods include angling (sportfishing regulations apply) or catching them by hand. No licence is required to capture crayfish by hand. The retention and transport of live crayfish is illegal and all retained crayfish must be immediately killed to prevent the spread of this species. Please help prevent the spread of invasive species.

I must be missing something. I dont see anything in your quote that says no traps. I am not lying to you. Make a call and see.:angry3:

nicemustang
02-25-2011, 08:20 AM

Crayfish

It says it right here in bold color.

Trust me. People have been fined at Travers for setting traps at the resort.

walking buffalo
02-25-2011, 09:23 AM

Crayfish

Legal capture methods include angling (sportfishing regulations apply) or catching them by hand.

IF fined for keeping a crayfish caught in a trap, go to court. The written law does not say that these two methods of capture are the only legal methods to catch and retain crayfish. The law says that these two methods are "included" in Legal capture methods, not "limited to" (or a similar wording) .

It is legal to set a fish trap with a hole large enough to allow crayfish to enter, and there is no law that states that crayfish caught in a trap must be released.

Widespread populations of crayfish in Alberta is a relatively new situation. The law applying to crayfish capture has loopholes. Perhaps someone would want to propose a new resolution to SRD to clarify this law, including a legal method of trapping crayfish.

JDRAZZ
02-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Camped there a few summers ago and the kids were catching crayfish on the public beach like crazy, just flippin rocks and grabbing them

nicemustang
02-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Legal capture methods include angling (sportfishing regulations apply) or catching them by hand.

IF fined for keeping a crayfish caught in a trap, go to court. The written law does not say that these two methods of capture are the only legal methods to catch and retain crayfish. The law says that these two methods are "included" in Legal capture methods, not "limited to" (or a similar wording) .

It is legal to set a fish trap with a hole large enough to allow crayfish to enter, and there is no law that states that crayfish caught in a trap must be released.

Widespread populations of crayfish in Alberta is a relatively new situation. The law applying to crayfish capture has loopholes. Perhaps someone would want to propose a new resolution to SRD to clarify this law, including a legal method of trapping crayfish.

Everything can be fought in court. I'm just telling you I know a few officers will not question and fine you on the spot and the regs say what they say. Do whatever you want! People always do anyway.

PERCHY
02-25-2011, 02:28 PM
one of my favorite dishes ever...chili cheese ettoufee with crawfish

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thecurvycarrot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/img_5178.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thecurvycarrot.com/2010/09/08/chili-cheese-etouffee-with-crawfish/&h=3456&w=2304&sz=4016&tbnid=_b3QhoueMnyV2M:&tbnh=150&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dchili%2Bcheese%2Betouffee%2Bwith%2Bcr awfish%2Bpictures&zoom=1&q=chili+cheese+etouffee+with+crawfish+pictures&hl=en&usg=__zzOFcCPtA-pERKIXG_gqfAt4Azw=&sa=X&ei=bB5oTaefEoyosQO-nOCmBA&ved=0CCIQ9QEwAw

i have to go catch some crawfish

where it's legal if theres any place that is legal.

RayL42
02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Before you do that, you might want to check with your Local F&W office first. Get some clarification whether or not if it is legal or not.

"Crayfish are native to the Beaver River system. However, they appear to have been illegally introduced into many Alberta waters and may be adversely affecting aquatic ecosystems.
Some people have expressed a desire to consume crayfish. In all waters other than the Beaver River, people may catch crayfish for consumption. Legal capture methods include angling (sportfishing regulations apply) or catching them by hand. No licence is required to capture crayfish by hand. The retention and transport of live crayfish is illegal and all retained crayfish must be immediately killed to prevent the spread of this species. Please help prevent the spread of invasive species."

Found this in the regulation’s, correct me if I’m wrong but if sport fishing regulations apply then the use of a net or trap would be illegal.

DuckBrat
02-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Remove main vein and intestines in back before eating, better flavor and rumor of neuro-toxin contained within.

Found this on web:

Cleaning and Cooking Crayfish

The freshwater crayfish not only looks like a miniature lobster, but tastes almost as good as its sal****er relative. The first step to preparing crayfish for the table is to wash the live crayfish in cool, clean water. After washing, the crayfish are blanched (par boiled) in hot water for about five minutes. This process kills and cooks the crayfish, kills any bacteria present, turns the crayfish a brilliant red color, and facilitates peeling the meat from the claws and tail. Next, remove the intestinal track by twisting and pulling the middle flipper of the tail. Some prefer to cook only the claws and tails. After simmering, remove the meat from the claws and tail, add butter, salt, and pepper, and enjoy; crayfish meat may be served hot or cold.

deanmc
02-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Everything can be fought in court. I'm just telling you I know a few officers will not question and fine you on the spot and the regs say what they say. Do whatever you want! People always do anyway.

Well no need to get catty about it.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I know what I did and I asked and even showed them the trap. They even gave me tips on bait to use.

deanmc
02-26-2011, 06:52 PM

To answer the op's question. Here is what I built. I used hardware cloth available at any hardware store and tied it all together with zipties.I put a 5 inch cleanout plug in one end to get them out easily. Took 30 minutes to build.Throw a wiener inside and wait.

http://crawdadfishing.webs.com/trapplans.htm

I agree you should call SRD first if you havent already.:test:

WayneChristie
02-26-2011, 08:26 PM
07 to 2011 wow this goes back aways !!!!!!!!!!!!!
But I wouldnt mind hearing more about catching crawfish , wouldnt mind trying to catch some myself !

had one checking out my smelt in Newell today, I was hoping to get to see a pike have it for lunch