PDA

View Full Version : Coal Today

FishingFrenzy
05-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Well, First open water trip of the year, headed out to Coal. Water level is WAY up from last year, some guys even had good size fiberglass boats in there. As we pulled up there were some r'tards keeping every fish they caught (all undersize of course). Sat in the truck and called RAP.. hopefully they got busted! What really bugs me is it seems like these guys knew they were breaking the rules because every fish the reeled in got a smack on the head and then went and hidden in their van..:mad0030:
After that we set up in the fog of mosquitos.. NOT COOL. Mosquitos were MISERABLE.

As far as fishing, not toooo bad. Caught about 15 hammer handles, some on wildeyes, spoons, cranks and a couple on topwater baits. No fish over 3-4lbs but still lots of fun!

TONS of people out today, im sure some fellow AO members.

Well that was my saturday, hope yours was as good!
Remember to help out our struggling fisheries and use the RAP line!

Tight lines!
'frenzy

Tyangelo
05-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Kudos on the RAP call bro. And good to hear the water is up!

dazlander
05-21-2011, 07:14 PM
had fun out on the lake had the boat out the water is up only caught three little 2-3 pounders but we only fished for about 3 hours and they were caught on a spoons

FishingFrenzy
05-21-2011, 08:05 PM
had fun out on the lake had the boat out the water is up only caught three little 2-3 pounders but we only fished for about 3 hours and they were caught on a spoons

Cool, Sounds like fun.
If you want a bit of advice on how to catch more fish here it is. Pull your boat up about 20-40ft off of a weed-bed (the rushes sticking out of the water). Anchor, or just shut the motor off. Take a 5 of diamonds spoon, Storm Wildeye (the biggest perch or pike patterns work best), Mepps Syclops or a spinnerbait, and cast right to the edge of the weed bed. Retrieve SLOW (add the odd jerk if using a Wildeye)
Works great for me.
Other option if you prefer trolling. Put on a 4-6in long "stickbait" (Rapala Husky Jerk) and troll about 30-50 feet off shore in a big weaving S-pattern

Now, you might know this already but just for general knowledge these are the best ways to catch fish at Coal IMHO

Tight lines!

great white whaler
05-21-2011, 10:37 PM
i was there fishing catch and release ..about 65 fish no size ,axe handles,my fingers are sore

bloopbloob
05-22-2011, 08:02 AM
I was there yesterday, going today. only caught 1-2 pounders, but a buddy caught one about 15lbs. Fishfinder didn't show many fish like it used to there. I've got RAP on speed dial now, but hope to not see any poachers

madeincanada780
05-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Cool, Sounds like fun.
If you want a bit of advice on how to catch more fish here it is. Pull your boat up about 20-40ft off of a weed-bed (the rushes sticking out of the water). Anchor, or just shut the motor off. Take a 5 of diamonds spoon, Storm Wildeye (the biggest perch or pike patterns work best), Mepps Syclops or a spinnerbait, and cast right to the edge of the weed bed. Retrieve SLOW (add the odd jerk if using a Wildeye)
Works great for me.
Other option if you prefer trolling. Put on a 4-6in long "stickbait" (Rapala Husky Jerk) and troll about 30-50 feet off shore in a big weaving S-pattern

Now, you might know this already but just for general knowledge these are the best ways to catch fish at Coal IMHO

Tight lines!I agree, I've been fishing at Coal every morning this weekend with the kids and we have pulled in about 50 1-2 pounders with the 5 of diamonds ( although the wife thinks we keep catching the same fish lol ). Red and white spoons were working good on the sunny mornings too.

However if you're planning a trip to Coal, take a bath in bug spray first, the mosquitos are BRUTAL!!!!!!!

FishingFrenzy
05-23-2011, 01:14 PM
However if you're planning a trip to Coal, take a bath in bug spray first, the mosquitos are BRUTAL!!!!!!!

X1000
50 bites per arm, some on my head, back and feet.

madeincanada780
05-23-2011, 02:19 PM
X1000
50 bites per arm, some on my head, back and feet.Hahaha, I feel your pain/itch!

ukrmaf
05-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Last year there were also a father son duo keeping every fish they caught. They were in a white minivan and we called and told the rangers. Not sure if it's the same people but that seems to be a bad lake for poaching. The guys last year had a buddy in a cab drive down and then he would drive away. I'm assuming that is how they were getting the fish back home. These guys had a system. I'm hoping it's not the same guys but I really don't know if the fish cops ended up busting them.

madeincanada780
05-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Heading back out tomorrow morning with a fresh supply of bug juice (my wounds have healed lol), does anyone know of different spots from shore on the south side other than the trail off of the boat launch?

FishingFrenzy
05-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Last year there were also a father son duo keeping every fish they caught. They were in a white minivan and we called and told the rangers. Not sure if it's the same people but that seems to be a bad lake for poaching. The guys last year had a buddy in a cab drive down and then he would drive away. I'm assuming that is how they were getting the fish back home. These guys had a system. I'm hoping it's not the same guys but I really don't know if the fish cops ended up busting them.

The guys we saw were both around the same age and were oriental. Driving a brown/tan toyota sienna. If you see em out there call RAP

Can't believe the amount of poachers.. does anyone know where these fish are going?!?!?

Dust1n
05-23-2011, 08:09 PM
The guys we saw were both around the same age and were oriental. Driving a brown/tan toyota sienna. If you see em out there call RAP

Can't believe the amount of poachers.. does anyone know where these fish are going?!?!?

thats what i drive.

FishingFrenzy
05-23-2011, 09:12 PM
thats what i drive.

Maybe, but are you two asian men??

Lefty-Canuck
05-23-2011, 09:20 PM
I was there yesterday, going today. only caught 1-2 pounders, but a buddy caught one about 15lbs. Fishfinder didn't show many fish like it used to there. I've got RAP on speed dial now, but hope to not see any poachers

Don't you mean North not South?....and for the record, the gate to the feild everyone is driving through and burning donuts in will likely be closed soon....I don't think its supposed to be open.

Lefty

bloopbloob
05-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Don't you mean North not South?....and for the record, the gate to the feild everyone is driving through and burning donuts in will likely be closed soon....I don't think its supposed to be open.

Lefty

Hunh? no idea what you're talking about....

Unfortunately saw some poachers fishing from shore as i was waiting to load my boat. Driving a white ford f150, lawn chairs set up beside it, keeping 1lb hammerhandles and tossing them in a cooler. father/wife/daughter and auntie all in on the action (could hear the daughter call them mom dad and auntie). Maybe you're on here, but i doubt it. Just know people notice, and RAP was called and hope you stop or get caught.

great white whaler
05-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Heading back out tomorrow morning with a fresh supply of bug juice (my wounds have healed lol), does anyone know of different spots from shore on the south side other than the trail off of the boat launch?

north end

bloopbloob
05-23-2011, 10:22 PM

Yes, oh wait...
Reason for editing... not sure if you drive a white F150!... :)

Lefty-Canuck
05-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Hunh? no idea what you're talking about....

lol my bad.....I quoted the wrong post....this being cooped up all day in the rain has me going crazy apparently!

Lefty

great white whaler
05-23-2011, 10:27 PM
did u see the pelican swimming be low the spill way ? Huge,,, i got sick of fishing hammer handles.

madeincanada780
05-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Caught this 13.5 pounder from shore tonight. Scared the crap out of me after being used to catching 1-3 pounders all weekend. Took it with a 3" red devil spoon, as soon as the spoon hit the water it took off with it, wicked fight!

I noticed too, it had a small chunk of flesh missing down near its tail and was bleeding from its body a bit. Read some where on here about the pelicans taking stabs at them (who knows).

Must have been a dozen people fishing the spillway tonight too.

great white whaler
05-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Caught this 13.5 pounder from shore tonight. Scared the crap out of me after being used to catching 1-3 pounders all weekend. Took it with a 3" red devil spoon, as soon as the spoon hit the water it took off with it, wicked fight!

I noticed too, it had a small chunk of flesh missing down near its tail and was bleeding from its body a bit. Read some where on here about the pelicans taking stabs at them (who knows).

its like the bigger pike got lots of stab marks ,i counted 9 gouges on one fish,the only thing i could come up with is the 200 pelicans that's swimming around.Nice pike u got there.

C@RN@GE
05-25-2011, 12:20 AM

i would get a new scale fyi

madeincanada780
05-25-2011, 01:20 AM
i would get a new scale fyiall I had at the time, but I plan on it. Any recommendations?

mulecrazy
05-25-2011, 04:09 AM
i would get a new scale fyi

If you are referring to the pic of the scale, you may want to look closely near the top. I was thinking he was bs ing at first as well, but the inner scale is in kg's. that means the roughly 6.2 kg=16.7lbs. Not sure what the outside of the scale is in, or what it says. really blurry.

Lefty-Canuck
05-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Nice one, did you get measurements on it? (length and girth) Looks like a male.

Lefty

madeincanada780
05-25-2011, 09:37 AM
If you are referring to the pic of the scale, you may want to look closely near the top. I was thinking he was bs ing at first as well, but the inner scale is in kg's. that means the roughly 6.2 kg=16.7lbs. Not sure what the outside of the scale is in, or what it says. really blurry. Sorry for the blurry pic, my son took the pic with my cell phone. I would have took it myself but neither one of my boys could have handled this fish. We did our best to get some nice shots and a weight in order to get the fish back in the water as quick as possible.
That being said, I'm not offended by your post, and I have no reason to bs. I'm not in competition with anyone, I take my boys out as much as they want to spend quality guy time with them when I'm home from work. The outside of the scale is in lbs., the numbers are in 5 lbs increments.

madeincanada780
05-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Nice one, did you get measurements on it? (length and girth) Looks like a male.

Lefty Sorry Lefty, I did not have my tape with me. Wasn't expecting to catch one that big from where we were on shore. The kids have a blast just catching the little guys.
However, tape is now in the box awaiting the next big catch!

Lefty-Canuck
05-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Sorry for the blurry pic, my son took the pic with my cell phone. I would have took it myself but neither one of my boys could have handled this fish. We did our best to get some nice shots and a weight in order to get the fish back in the water as quick as possible.
That being said, I'm not offended by your post, and I have no reason to bs. I'm not in competition with anyone, I take my boys out as much as they want to spend quality guy time with them when I'm home from work. The outside of the scale is in lbs., the numbers are in 5 lbs increments.

Very cool that you released the fish, showing your boys the thrill is in the catch and not necessarily the keep. Of course I am not against keeping fish for a feed once in a while!

Lefty

Rockymtnx
05-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Congrats on the nice pike madeincanada780. I may head out to Coal this evening and see whats biting.

The Copenhagen Kid
05-25-2011, 03:35 PM
was out at coal today, got on the water around 11, and home by 2... two of us in the boat, went up the east side for a bit, casting at the shorelines, and came back down the west. In the short time, probably got no less than 75 little sharks to the boat, was a great way to spend a few hours. tried numerous hooks, and all worked about the same...a small lean may go towards hooks with bright orange on them (water is still very murky)

mulecrazy
05-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Sorry for the blurry pic, my son took the pic with my cell phone. I would have took it myself but neither one of my boys could have handled this fish. We did our best to get some nice shots and a weight in order to get the fish back in the water as quick as possible.

I hope you weren't offended. It was my intention to defend you BTW. The comment by the other guy about needing a new scale was likely his way of trying to call bs due to your blurry pic. Like I said, at first glance it looked like your scale was showing just over 6lbs, but a closer look showed it was in kgs. Great fish BTW, gotta love them big ole snot rockets.:)

TheFishHunter
05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
I was there on Tuesday as well fishing below the dam. You aren't lying when you say a fog of mosquitos. You literally need to bath in bug juice just to keep those parasites off of you.. I have never seen it this bad.. but if you can handle the mosquitos, fishing is worth it..

Fishing has slowed down quite a bit since the fish took a beating from May long but that is to be expected. We managed to haul in a few decent pike around the 10lb range, but I was amazed how many were in the 1-2lb range, and there were very little from the 3-5lb range.

:thinking-006:

Just thought you should know....

madeincanada780
05-26-2011, 06:44 PM
I hope you weren't offended. It was my intention to defend you BTW. The comment by the other guy about needing a new scale was likely his way of trying to call bs due to your blurry pic. Like I said, at first glance it looked like your scale was showing just over 6lbs, but a closer look showed it was in kgs. Great fish BTW, gotta love them big ole snot rockets.:)No worries, I can see how the pic could cause confusion. But hey, it was taken by a 12 year old with a cell, not like he cared about the pic, all his focus was on the fish! lol

dazlander
05-27-2011, 11:16 AM
A good day out on the lake thursday, it was very windy and a little rain but we didnt care. We were about half way down the lake found a nice little area out of the wind and between 2 of us caught 36 1-3 pounders in four hours lots of fun. Not a single keeper but that was not the point almost every cast was a bite. My brother did lose a couple hooks on what he said felt like a monster tobad his drag wasn't set right or else maybe we could have caught one of the 10-15 pound monsters I keep hearing about have a good day.

Xiph0id
05-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Is there a boat launch at both ends of the lake?
Which is better? I'm taking my boat there today.

Lefty-Canuck
05-28-2011, 10:33 AM
I have only driven by the very North of the lake. The boat launch there is being well utilized, water level is up so you can actually use it to launch this year. I would imagine the south end has a launch too but not 100% sure.

Lefty

great white whaler
05-28-2011, 10:42 AM
south end as a launch,lots of water ,and not so bussy

Lefty-Canuck
05-28-2011, 10:45 AM
south end as a launch,lots of water ,and not so bussy

Is the south end quieter than the north end? I will have to make my way down there sometime.

Lefty

Xiph0id
05-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Went to the north end.
Boat launch was very nice.
Lots of people but not too busy.
Very nice day of fishing.
Nothing unsu or extraordinary to report except I had a hog of a pike on the line that took close to 10 mins to reel in and was spoiling off line like crazy and then I lost it closer to the boat. Err!

Hooker
05-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Nice to hear that the big ones survived the low water.

usef
05-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Thinking about heading to Coal in a few day and was wondering if anyone could suggest a decent spot to fish from the shore ?