PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone spun their own monofilament flyfishing leaders?

greylynx
05-21-2011, 05:50 PM
I saw a home-made spun monofilament leader. It was very supple (sp?) if that is the best word.

The instructions for making these home made leaders are on the internet.

Has anyone here ever tryed making these leaders?

If you have made these leaders what were results?

Daceminnow
05-21-2011, 08:08 PM
i've made my own leaders lots lynx. typically when fishing smaller mountain streams when your chucking into logs jams and other tight under brush areas. when donating flys and breaking off leaders is around every corner. i can't speaking much into the casting aspect because you're more or less flipping in these situations. the link below is a good read. i usually stick to a 8/6/4lb tapper.

Dace

http://www.onlinefishinglog.com/blog/20/Hand-Tying-Fly-Leaders

ÜberFly
05-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Do you mean furled leaders?!

P

Caper28
05-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Are you sure it wasn't a furl leader, they're made from thread. I couldn't see the point in spinning mono.

greylynx
05-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Sorry guys, I do mean furled leaders.

Please forgive me for not using the term " furled leaders":Lightning:

Jigsaw
05-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Actually you were right when you mentioned the spinning of mono. It is possible and produces something like a furled leader. I made a bunch this winter and haven't had the chance to fish them yet, but I think they will be great for the dry fly.

I'll do some research and see if I can get the info on how to twist these leaders. I'll post later if I can locate the link.

Kevin C.
05-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I used to make these and had a lot of success with them. Furled leaders are especially good at turning over flies, in fact can turn over just holding the butt and throwing with your hand. I used just about anything to make them from some 7X and 8X tippet to tying thread to even the dollar store nylon thread. Generally used the mono ones for surface presentations and the ones made from tying thread for swinging or nymphing. Had a nice jig for making them but left it behind when I made the move out west. The hardest part I remember was keeping everything tensioned as you hang it to spin (furl). They like to twist up on themselves if they aren't kept tight, once its hung and you have the right amount of weight at the bottom its a breeze. The coolest part is experimenting with them and building them for different applications

walking buffalo
05-23-2011, 03:42 PM
I used to make these and had a lot of success with them. Furled leaders are especially good at turning over flies, in fact can turn over just holding the butt and throwing with your hand. I used just about anything to make them from some 7X and 8X tippet to tying thread to even the dollar store nylon thread. Generally used the mono ones for surface presentations and the ones made from tying thread for swinging or nymphing. Had a nice jig for making them but left it behind when I made the move out west. The hardest part I remember was keeping everything tensioned as you hang it to spin (furl). They like to twist up on themselves if they aren't kept tight, once its hung and you have the right amount of weight at the bottom its a breeze. The coolest part is experimenting with them and building them for different applications

X2

They excell when presenting dries in skinny or flat clear water. Turn over very easily, and the butt end is very supply, making for a quiet presentation.

An 8' 10/8/6 mono furled leader. Thanks Hal... :)

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC01529.jpg

Jigsaw
05-24-2011, 06:58 PM
As promised, here is the link. Give it a try, no tools required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs&feature=BF&list=ULn3nhj3WlCsw&index=1

commieboy
05-24-2011, 10:02 PM
As promised, here is the link. Give it a try, no tools required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs&feature=BF&list=ULn3nhj3WlCsw&index=1

Thanks for that, Jigsaw. And thanks to everyone in the post for info on this. I haven't heard of these, but I'm going to try them out.