PDA

View Full Version : Chickakoo lake/sauer lake today

Thundercatcher
05-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Went out to saur lake and them Chickakoo. I fished near the beaver dams. The fish were not biting today. Noboy was catching much and the rainbows were not jumping much. I managed to hook one though. Maybe Shawn can help me on this, I caught a few Rainbow and they always head to the dead bull rushes , get tangles then get off the hook. How do you get them to shore.

Dust1n
05-22-2011, 09:58 PM
stronger rod to fight the fish better>?
i like using leeches catonicly...or stripped.
drys and i had using nymphs....

Mr.goldeye
05-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Went out to saur lake and them Chickakoo. I fished near the beaver dams. The fish were not biting today. Noboy was catching much and the rainbows were not jumping much. I managed to hook one though. Maybe Shawn can help me on this, I caught a few Rainbow and they always head to the dead bull rushes , get tangles then get off the hook. How do you get them to shore.

I had the same problem when I was out today with my fly rod, what seemed to help loss less fish was to really have ur rod tip high when brInging em in

BGSH
05-22-2011, 11:41 PM
really? maby because it was 30 degrees today? if all elese fails use power eggs, but if you do i suggest you keep the ones to catch to the limit you are aloud, bobber and worm is alot of fun spin casting as well, if fishing bobber and worm use 10 foot leader, i will take pictures of my power egg setup for you and post tomorrow night. Fly fishing i would use a mosquito patern.

ghostguy6
05-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Must have been out at the Wrong time. They were jumping all afternoon and biting well into the evening at Chickakoo.

Thundercatcher
05-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Would it help using an heavy action rod instead of my light action rod?

moonyrat
05-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Would it help using an heavy action rod instead of my light action rod?

hows the mosquito situation at chickakoo?

Thundercatcher
05-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Tons of them

BGSH
05-23-2011, 12:32 AM
yea way to many mosquitos had over 200 on me last week at once and even wore a hoody.

Mr.goldeye
05-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Must have been out at the Wrong time. They were jumping all afternoon and biting well into the evening at Chickakoo.

I was there at around 7 am and the water looked like it was boiling there were so many jumping I hooked into probably 30 ish but lost like 20 bringing the to shore cause of all the dead weeds

Mr.goldeye
05-23-2011, 12:15 PM
I was there at around 7 am and the water looked like it was boiling there were so many jumping I hooked into probably 30 ish but lost like 20 bringing the to shore cause of all the dead weeds

This was yesterday I'm talking about btw

Dust1n
05-23-2011, 01:07 PM
how big wer the brookies and any color to em?

Thundercatcher
05-23-2011, 01:11 PM
goldeye , what were you using? Spinners? Does anyone use maggots?

DaveFish
05-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Was out wednesday /w Shaners, lots of jumping, lots of hook ups, lots of lost fish due to the weeds. Spinners /w orange or pink worked, orange more. Beautiful colorful brookies and bows. Biggest was 10inches, smallest 4inches.

Dust1n
05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
thanks dave m gonna try and go there next weekend try some dry fly fishing ect.

Mr.goldeye
05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
goldeye , what were you using? Spinners? Does anyone use maggots?

I fly fish and that day they were taken dries, pretty much anything small

DaveFish
05-23-2011, 05:17 PM
thanks dave m gonna try and go there next weekend try some dry fly fishing ect.

Last may /w flies they were taking anything small, even caught afew on a size 10 orange stimulator I threw because my main box was afew hundred metres down shore and I was lazy, hehe.

Thundercatcher
05-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Chickakoo and sauer lake were dead this eveing. Not much fish jumping at all and I only caught 1 and it got off the hook again after running to the weeds. There was no mosqities out at all. Guess thats why

Dak1138
05-24-2011, 11:18 PM
What were you using? I was ther Monday morning a caught 5 and lost about another 5 with a #1 black fury (yellow) spinner and a red and white Kamlooper. I saw 7 other people using baitthat morning and only 2 of them caught anything after they switched to spinners.

Thundercatcher
05-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I was using spinners. black fury and a few other kinds.

Dak1138
05-25-2011, 04:51 AM
Hmmm......
Did you reel in at a constant speed ?
I usually like to keep my rod pointed at the water and vary the speed and direction.I will try to explain what I do in a typical cast.

-cast spinner
-let spinner sink for may e a second or two before reeling
-crank the reel 2-4 times while pointing the rod somewhere between level and a few degrees below level
-now I stop reeling and let the hook sink for half a second and pull my rod a bit up, to the right or to the left. Usually pull it enough so it travels two or three feet on the pull.
-the let it sink for a second and repeat.

I get a good number of hits on my first or second crank after I let it sink. I think this random method of retrieval more resembles something living to the fish and they want a piece of it before it goes to far.

Hope that made some sense to you.

Thundercatcher
05-25-2011, 04:06 PM
how do u set drag. I never use drag

Dust1n
05-25-2011, 07:58 PM
how do u set drag. I never use dragthe knot tha tightens your spool onto the reel or it could be the knob in the back if there is one.

Thundercatcher
05-25-2011, 08:38 PM
I know what a drag is. I just mean what setting u should put it on for differnt situations

Dust1n
05-25-2011, 08:46 PM
I know what a drag is. I just mean what setting u should put it on for differnt situations

ohh sorry my bad....well i like to set my drag with the action of the rod i like a nice meduim-small bend in it. enough to hold the fishes weigth if it decides to go forward but strong enough to gve a hookset. between a meduim to a heavey small bend is prime imo