PDA

View Full Version : Lost fly box at Grande cache lake

scudman
05-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Hey everyone, I lost my fly box full of leech's on the shore of Grande Cache lake. I left it there last night and came back in the morning and it was gone. Called lost and found in town and nothing. I think the only 2 guys who were there when I left took it as they never took there yes off me the whole time. maybe im being to suspicious but my wife even noticed and now I realized my flybox was on the ground beside me and I was walking away from it while working the shoreline.

I just tied up that box of leech's and put alot of time into it. I gave my old box of leech's to a father and son who I met on shore and were totally new to flyfishing. Really ruined my day realizing I forgot it and its now gone, this is the first time since I have started flyfishing that this has happened. It makes me feel sick...I just want it back, no questions asked.

I doubt it will happen as alot of people passing through town stop there.:(

I can also describe almost every type of fly in that box

scudman
05-26-2011, 08:20 PM
bump...just incase, I think its long gone,.,....drives me wild knowing someone didn't turn it in and thinks they should keep what they found.. And I have called all the gas stations, sports shop etc etc...

TyreeUM
05-26-2011, 09:13 PM
hey, finders keepers....j/k - I would imagine they are long gone...

scudman
05-26-2011, 09:18 PM
hey, finders keepers....j/k - I would imagine they are long gone...

I personally could never keep someone Else's fishing gear I found. I put alot of time and work into that box of flys.

but You just never know, figured maybe someone on this site found it

chubbdarter
05-26-2011, 09:23 PM
in all seriousness(is that a word?)
if i found it ---i didnt know towns had lost and founds
ive returned 1 wallet and 1 purse in my life to the police , both found in Fish Creek park

TyreeUM
05-26-2011, 09:37 PM
I personally could never keep someone Else's fishing gear I found. I put alot of time and work into that box of flys.

but You just never know, figured maybe someone on this site found it

Not that I can even speculate on the person's integrity, but if I found a box of flies and was not a member of a board like this - I wouldn't have the first clue as to how I would go about finding the owner. I guess you could post something on kijiji or craigslist...would you just leave them there?

scudman
05-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Not that I can even speculate on the person's integrity, but if I found a box of flies and was not a member of a board like this - I wouldn't have the first clue as to how I would go about finding the owner. I guess you could post something on kijiji or craigslist...would you just leave them there?

Iv handed in gear to F&W, gas stations etc etc. In a small town like im in you'd be amazed what gets handed in at gas stations, stores, radio station, fishing/hunting shop.

Good for the people that can have a conscience and keep stuff like that they found. I never could, never have. I once found a HUGE tackle box with more then $1000 worth of gear...finders keepers? no never, Held onto it for a while, called and told F&W, radio station etc etc.....guy got his stuff back and tried giving me a reward but I refused.

scudman
05-26-2011, 10:21 PM
ok, now I know for a fact its long gone, it was a brand new box I just bought and the wife just reminded me that I had wrote my phone number and name inside of the cover with permanent marker as its somethign I do with all my box's

thats life

TyreeUM
05-26-2011, 10:25 PM
well in that case if the person doesn't call you they are a scumbag

scudman
05-26-2011, 10:27 PM
well in that case if the person doesn't call you they are a scumbag

Almost wish the wife didnt tell me that.....makes me livid now:argue2:

5Weight
05-27-2011, 07:59 AM
...the wife just reminded me that I had wrote my phone number and name inside of the cover with permanent marker as its somethign I do with all my box's

thats life

Sorry to hear about your fly box. That sucks.

Thanks for this suggestion though. It's something I hadn't thought about. I will be writing my name on my gear now in case my increasingly wandering brain decides to leave something behind. Thinking about it, if I forgot one of my well stocked tackle boxes at the lake and a true blue sporsman picked it up, there would be no way of them finding me.

Again, sorry for your loss, but thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

5W

1/2 oz Bucktail
05-28-2011, 05:44 PM
I hate to say it but, I wouldn't trust too many people out here in Grande Cache to return the box. I had a guy grab my rod tube and my axe from a picnic site at Piere Grey (right in front of me) and jump in his truck and drive away.

Don't get me wrong, I love it out here. There just seems to be more and more jackA@#$s every year.

Did you hit the rainbows while they were stacked up along the beach and boat launch?

scudman
05-28-2011, 06:00 PM
I hate to say it but, I wouldn't trust too many people out here in Grande Cache to return the box. I had a guy grab my rod tube and my axe from a picnic site at Piere Grey (right in front of me) and jump in his truck and drive away.

Don't get me wrong, I love it out here. There just seems to be more and more jackA@#$s every year.

Did you hit the rainbows while they were stacked up along the beach and boat launch?

Yea I have noticed that to. I was fishing along the beach last night and some asshat decided to some nice and close with his boat..reel in, then take off at full throttle...I made sure he heard me....

Yes I was fishing while the trout were there. Last week I caught two 3.5lb trout from shore. I caught a real nice looking one yesterday to (pic below) fishing has died down from shore unless you go right before dark. I have 1 pattern that has been doing VERY well compared to everyone else there.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/WaterSkeeter87/IMG00248-20110520-1926-2.jpg

TyreeUM
05-28-2011, 06:32 PM
wow that is a gorgeous bow...

fredieC
05-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Very sorry that it has happen to you, even my friends have lost few things over the years and never got it back, so just to be on safe side i have written down my name and phone no. on all my fly and tackle boxes, and same with my rods as well.., just in case if i encounter such a thing in future atleast there is some info. available to anyone who finds it....

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Maybe with very little faith in some people , but maybe them guys that were there will see you next time and give it back Hard to say . I know Ive kept stuff that I know guys have left behind to hold onto it and return it next time I see them .

scudman
05-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Maybe with very little faith in some people , but maybe them guys that were there will see you next time and give it back Hard to say . I know Ive kept stuff that I know guys have left behind to hold onto it and return it next time I see them .

Only guys there the same time as me that night were in campers and from out of town, they were gone the next morning when I returned. But your right, you never know.

WillyOneStyle
05-29-2011, 01:23 AM
I went on a fly fishing trip to the James River with a buddy a few years ago, we set up a camp, had a few wobbly pops and walked up the river. I tripped and filled my waders but my friend lost his fly box. It really got under his skin.

Anyway, PM me and I'll tie 1/2 a dozen of something and send them your way(assuming there is no postal strike).

scudman
05-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the offer but it's ok, I spent the day tying up a storm to fill a new leech box. Very nice of you to offer though.

WillyOneStyle
05-29-2011, 01:33 AM
cheers, keep tying...