PDA

View Full Version : First time posting -Lac St Anne Walleye Weekend

cluneyboy
05-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey all,
My wife and myself went saturday and sunday to Lac St Anne to try to fill our walleye tags.We are fairly new to the whole boat thing,mostly fly fishing previously.Well long story short,my wife delivered an ass kickin.She caught 13 walleye and 2 pike to my 6 walleye and 1 pike.All the walleye were about 47 cm,none smaller and none bigger.Even though they were all keepers,I found them to be pretty skinny.We kept 1 for supper and decided to wait and see if they fatten up as the summer rolls along.
On a side note,had something a little odd happen on saturday.Our boat is a 10ft aluminum and we have a minn kota 40lb thrust trolling motor.Near the end of the day some dark clouds started rolling in so we decided to pack it in.I started getting shocks off the bench and hearing this weird high pitched whining sound.I'm turned around looking at the motor and the fish finder to try and locate this sound when my wife says "Hey is that your fishing rod making that sound?".Yes my graphite rod was whining at which point we decided to put the pedal to the metal.
Do graphite rods conduct electricity?
Good fishin' all.
Cluneyboy

horsetrader
05-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Hey all,
My wife and myself went saturday and sunday to Lac St Anne to try to fill our walleye tags.We are fairly new to the whole boat thing,mostly fly fishing previously.Well long story short,my wife delivered an ass kickin.She caught 13 walleye and 2 pike to my 6 walleye and 1 pike.All the walleye were about 47 cm,none smaller and none bigger.Even though they were all keepers,I found them to be pretty skinny.We kept 1 for supper and decided to wait and see if they fatten up as the summer rolls along.
On a side note,had something a little odd happen on saturday.Our boat is a 10ft aluminum and we have a minn kota 40lb thrust trolling motor.Near the end of the day some dark clouds started rolling in so we decided to pack it in.I started getting shocks off the bench and hearing this weird high pitched whining sound.I'm turned around looking at the motor and the fish finder to try and locate this sound when my wife says "Hey is that your fishing rod making that sound?".Yes my graphite rod was whining at which point we decided to put the pedal to the metal.
Good fishin' all.
Cluneyboy

Yes graphite conducts electricity very well. Becarefull out there. And don't worry about the butt kicking you took from your wife happens to me all the time...........:)

LeonH
05-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Hey all,
Good fishin' all.
Cluneyboy

The same thing happen to me few years back at Pigeon Lake. The storm was approaching and my brother and I were waiting in the line to get out of the lake. It is all the static in the air, rods were buzzing, my brother did not have a hat on his head and he told me he was getting zapped. On the end the storm went by with no thunder but it pored buckets.

Scary stuff to feel all of that electricity in the air floating in a big conductor.

Kim473
05-26-2011, 04:33 AM
Hmmmmmm. Graphite, good conductor, conected to water, best conductor around. Like holding on to a ground rod in a storm and your the highest thing above ground for a long ways. Remember the kite thing when electricity was discovered. When you start to feel your hair stand up put it away, it meens lots of static in the air and lightning is close to hitting. Just holding a golf club, you can get hit easy.