PDA

View Full Version : Stauffer...

msk
05-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Took a quick trip out to Stauffer Creek on Saturday to knock the dust off the flyrod. Pulled into the Fish & Wildlife Parking lot to see a lovely yellow sign warning of a Grizzly Bear in the area. Spent the next couple hours looking over my shoulder, but did manage to land 1 little brownie. Pretty slow, but still a great day to be out. Are bear encounters regular occurrences out there?

pikester
05-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Kinda takes any of the fun out of it doesn't it? I ran into a black bear @ half a mile east of the BFW parking lots about 10 years ago, thought it was a moose or cow walking through the bush so I started yelling & running towards it to scare it away. I hear this "thing" crashing through the bush into the creek so I break through the brush & there standing in the middle of the creek is a big black bear just staring at me:scared0015: I turned & ran for the fence as fast as I could & luckily I heard the bear headed in the opposite direction going about the same speed! Since then I have never seen another bear there & anyone I tell that story to thinks I'm nuts lol.

diamonddave
05-24-2011, 10:46 AM
They are becoming more and more common in that area, the grizz are starting to like the farm land:)
Congrats on pulling out a brown, she was pretty tought sledding everywhere this w/e.

TheYoungFlyFisherman
06-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I am new to stauffer creek, heading out there this saturday again. last weekend we pulled over on the 761 i believe just south of stauffer and fished the bridge down from there. I was wondering where abouts the BFW parking lot is and where the Fish and Wildlife parking lot is. A reply or email would be greatly appreciated. My email is CanadaFlyFisher@hotmail.ca if email is necesary.