PDA

View Full Version : What would you do

dragon
05-24-2011, 01:46 PM
3 guys went our in a paddle boat with a cooler full of beer and no life jackets... not a big deal to me really except the paddle boat was LOADED and IMO 500 ft from shore was a little much.

So they're fishing out of their paddle boat and I would question whether or not they have licenses but obviously have no proof.

When they came in for a bit I wandered past their paddle boat on the beach and they were def. not using pinched barbs.

I left my copy of the regs in their paddle boat (in the half gone case of beer to be exact) and left it at that.

Funny part about it was my boy caught 4 off the dock while they were out.

Okotokian
05-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Couple of things:
1. I'm not sure if a "paddle boat" qualifies as a boat requiring lifejackets. Perhaps it does. dunno.

2. How did you know they weren't fishing barbless? Having barbed hooks is not illegal. Using them to fish is.

As to what I would have done? Probably nothing. I don't care if adults wear lifejackets becaue I don't care if they drown. Drunks in a high powered boat are a safety risk to others. Drunks in a paddle boat? Not so much.

Still, I can't fault or criticize your approach.

usef
05-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Couple of things:
1. I'm not sure if a "paddle boat" qualifies as a boat requiring lifejackets. Perhaps it does. dunno.

2. How did you know they weren't fishing barbless? Having barbed hooks is not illegal. Using them to fish is.

As to what I would have done? Probably nothing. I don't care if adults wear lifejackets becaue I don't care if they drown. Drunks in a high powered boat are a safety risk to others. Drunks in a paddle boat? Not so much.

+1, I agree with you Oko. As for what i would do... MIND MY OWN BUSINESS. Its one thing when people are poaching but you seem to be REALLY nosey dragon. Don't know why you would "assume" they don't have licenses lol. And "wandering" to see what hooks their using is pretty creepy. You must have SUPER sight to see that they were barbed unless you were more than just "wandering".

Mish@
05-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Couple of things:

Couldnt agree with you more :) If only they were distubing others or actually poaching, then I would probably call fish cop. And even if they did use barbed hooks I would just let them know that they could get fined for it and wouldnt make a big deal about it

bubbles
05-24-2011, 03:37 PM
I think that what you did dragon is appropriate.

Dropping the regs book in there boat is a nice way to tell them to smartin up
I would of done the same if I did not want a confertation with 3 half drunk ? Buzzed ? People.

maximus
05-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Jesus man. Mind your own business. They were just out having a little fun.

finsnfeathers
05-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Probably the only way for them to be convicted of fishing barbs is for a fish cop to actually catch them in action. As previously mentioned, it's not unlawful to own barbed hooks or carry them in your tackle. I was however under the impression that drinking alcohol in any watercraft was now unlawful?? Sorta like a seat belt infraction, to protect you from yourself. Not much concern to the public or property {given the size of watercraft involved here} to warrant a fish cop alarm. The reg book idea was good,...sorta implants a seed in their brain for several reasons. my opinion, you did good

Kokanee9
05-24-2011, 07:46 PM
You just did what you thought was right. Can't be faulted for that.

Dust1n
05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
3 guys went our in a paddle boat with a cooler full of beer and no life jackets... not a big deal to me really except the paddle boat was LOADED and IMO 500 ft from shore was a little much.

So they're fishing out of their paddle boat and I would question whether or not they have licenses but obviously have no proof.

When they came in for a bit I wandered past their paddle boat on the beach and they were def. not using pinched barbs.

I left my copy of the regs in their paddle boat (in the half gone case of beer to be exact) and left it at that.

Funny part about it was my boy caught 4 off the dock while they were out.

i realy like the part were you left YOUR regs with them to help point them out on the rules

bowness
05-25-2011, 08:44 AM
You did the right thing. Darwin will catch up to them.

dragon
05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
+1, I agree with you Oko. As for what i would do... MIND MY OWN BUSINESS. Its one thing when people are poaching but you seem to be REALLY nosey dragon. Don't know why you would "assume" they don't have licenses lol. And "wandering" to see what hooks their using is pretty creepy. You must have SUPER sight to see that they were barbed unless you were more than just "wandering".

Def of wandering would be following my kids that were throwing rocks... the boat was 15 ft from my dock. not 250 ft.

Def of fishing with barbed hooks is the hooks they currently had tied on to the rods left in the paddle boat clearly had barbs.

dragon
05-25-2011, 10:07 AM
I quite enjoy the discussions and different points of views from other members both for and against. It helps everyone including me make more informed decisions if they run into similar situations.

Basically what would society do is the question? and everyone has an answer they think is right!

usef
05-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Def of wandering would be following my kids that were throwing rocks... the boat was 15 ft from my dock. not 250 ft.

Def of fishing with barbed hooks is the hooks they currently had tied on to the rods left in the paddle boat clearly had barbs.

Who mentioned 250ft ? Even at 15FT as you mentioned you MUST HAVE SUPERHUMAN sight. Seriously, explain to me literally how close you need to be to someones equipment to see a BARB on the hook ? LOL CREEPY !!! :snapoutofit:

Okotokian
05-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Who mentioned 250ft ? Even at 15FT as you mentioned you MUST HAVE SUPERHUMAN sight. Seriously, explain to me literally how close you need to be to someones equipment to see a BARB on the hook ? LOL CREEPY !!! :snapoutofit:

You are pretty close if you can drop a copy of the regs in their paddle boat. LOL

Anyway, not a big deal. He didn't hurt anyone and I'm not really concerned about drunk bubba's feelings. LOL :oregonian_winesmile:burp:

TyreeUM
05-25-2011, 11:36 AM
I think it is great to be proactive in protecting your resources. I know here in Saskatchewan, I am lucky to get checked even once in a year for my license and they depend on conscious anglers to help out anyway that they can. Everyone can have a different approach to what they feel is right in terms of helping to protect our fisheries here in Canada, and I would say anything within reason is a lot better than nothing at all. Everyone hates the persnickety self-proclaimed fish cop who does as much detective work as they do fishing, but a subtle friendly suggestion to anyone who is breaking the rules is a gesture I hope everyone feels at least somewhat obligated to offer when regulations are being broken right in front of you.

Lefty-Canuck
05-25-2011, 12:14 PM
The sad part about fishing enforcement is it is quite often "self-policed" due to lack of resources. Doesn't mean everyone needs to be a super sleuth trying to nail everyone to the cross. I don't see the harm in "coaching" others to the rules.....be prepared to be told where to go from time to time. I think what Dragon did was totally fine....If I had a lake lot I would feel a bit protective of my space and my lake too.

I ran into some folks fishing 10days before the opener at Coal Lake, I stopped in and politely told them the season wasn't open for another week and a half.....they reeled in and said thanks for letting us know.....I didn't report them though.

Lefty

jryley
05-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Yeah i dont know if i agree with any of your post. I know i personally have seen many maaany people go for a float on a paddle boat with a bevie in the sun. Whether they were fishing or not, its a seperate issue. Driving a 150 hp merc drunk is irresponsible as you put others at risk. If the lads wanted to go for a float and enjoy a cold one, why do you care? As far as the barbed hooks, one gent already made a valid point. How do you know they didnt pinch or file them off after they tie their line? Im all for following both hunting and fishing regs, but acting nosey is a sure fire way to breed more hatred towards outdoorsmen. This reminds of last fall. A couple buddies of mine including myself were out in 232 spotting geese. We came across a great spread in one of my close friends pea fields. I ran it by my
Buddy and all was a go. 2 gents that farm in the area, that have a massive hate on for hunters in general, assumed we didnt have permission, didnt belong there, and flat out didnt have the right to be parked in our truck on the side of a gravel road watching the sunset over the field we were shooting the next morning. Before we had a chance toeven say hello, one guy was nose to
Nose with me. Being nosey and making assumptions is the worst thing possible.

huntsfurfish
05-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Yeah i dont know if i agree with any of your post. I know i personally have seen many maaany people go for a float on a paddle boat with a bevie in the sun. Whether they were fishing or not, its a seperate issue. Driving a 150 hp merc drunk is irresponsible as you put others at risk. If the lads wanted to go for a float and enjoy a cold one, why do you care? As far as the barbed hooks, one gent already made a valid point. How do you know they didnt pinch or file them off after they tie their line? Im all for following both hunting and fishing regs, but acting nosey is a sure fire way to breed more hatred towards outdoorsmen. This reminds of last fall. A couple buddies of mine including myself were out in 232 spotting geese. We came across a great spread in one of my close friends pea fields. I ran it by my
Buddy and all was a go. 2 gents that farm in the area, that have a massive hate on for hunters in general, assumed we didnt have permission, didnt belong there, and flat out didnt have the right to be parked in our truck on the side of a gravel road watching the sunset over the field we were shooting the next morning. Before we had a chance toeven say hello, one guy was nose to

A couple of things here. I dont want to watch someone drown and I dont really want to risk my life(but would) trying to save someone because they feel its ok to drink on the water! Most drownings are acohol related! Thats why you should care!

jryley
05-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Youre making the assumption they were hammered. Im not
Saying its what i would do, but i also wouldnt jump out of a plane, skateboard, or speed in my vehicle. I can gauruntee at one point inyour life youve exceeded the speed limit. If i followed you and left the driving regulations on the hood of your car youd probably tell me to beat it.

huntsfurfish
05-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Check the stats on drowning.

You dont have to be hammered to drown! I never said anything about being hammered either.

huntsfurfish
05-25-2011, 03:02 PM

You just made an assumption on me about "hammered":)

and

Why did they hate hunters? Could they have had run ins with hunters that were drinking or other problem hunters? Most farmers and ranchers that i know that have a "hate" on for hunters are due to previous experiences.(ps - grew up on a ranch).

Just saying, if you were in our "area" I/we/they would likely check you out!

Not saying anything to out of line sportsmen will "breed more hatred" then speaking out and policing our selves!

jryley
05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
And you dont have to be drunk to get into an accident. But again, i gauruntee youve had one pint of beer and driven home. We can agree to disagree, but if theyre not hurting anyone else, and theyre not realistically putting themselves in a ridiculous situation, then who cares i say. I will say 500 feet from shore is dumb. Im more referencing goin for a float near shore in a couple feet of water. I admit ive cracked a cold one, tossed a vest on, and
Floated in front of
The cabin, with someone keeping
An eye on me from the deck. So i do see where youre coming from. Im sure, even if you dont admit it, im sure you understad
My point as well. You reap what you sew essentially

jryley
05-25-2011, 03:55 PM
I agree their hatred may have come from a previous experience. I didnt grow up on a ranch, i did grow up on a farm, and still own land
In said area. Past experiences are no excuse for
Any land owner to be a flat out jerk. As a land owner, i am disgusted with guys that feel public roads are their
Roads. So no, their behavior was not just if thats where your going. Anyways, we are off topic now. Ha

huntsfurfish
05-25-2011, 06:56 PM
I agree their hatred may have come from a previous experience. I didnt grow up on a ranch, i did grow up on a farm, and still own land
In said area. Past experiences are no excuse for
Any land owner to be a flat out jerk. As a land owner, i am disgusted with guys that feel public roads are their
Roads. So no, their behavior was not just if thats where your going. Anyways, we are off topic now. Ha

The ones that hate hunters usually have had multiple and even numerous run-ins
with "hunters". Dealing with these guys sometimes gets tiresome and even stressfull. Not all sportspeople are good and pleasant either.

However, that said there is no reason for him to be a "jerk" about it either. But try to see from his side as well. If you grew up on a farm, Im sure you saw some "bad hunters" and if not you were exceptionally lucky.

And I'll say it again, Not saying anything to out of line sportsmen will "breed more hatred" then speaking out and policing our selves!

dragon
05-26-2011, 08:13 AM

Sorry about your hunting incident.

I didn't imply these guys were hammered or not and really don't care about the drinking in a paddle boat even though it is Illegal..... The reason its mentioned is that it clearly shows their opinion on the rules of society...

And your right... maybe they fished and then came in and tied new hooks on their line. When they went out next time they were going to file the barbs off before they started casting.

duffy4
05-26-2011, 08:39 AM
I think it is great to be proactive in protecting your resources. I know here in Saskatchewan, I am lucky to get checked even once in a year for my license and they depend on conscious anglers to help out anyway that they can. Everyone can have a different approach to what they feel is right in terms of helping to protect our fisheries here in Canada, and I would say anything within reason is a lot better than nothing at all. Everyone hates the persnickety self-proclaimed fish cop who does as much detective work as they do fishing, but a subtle friendly suggestion to anyone who is breaking the rules is a gesture I hope everyone feels at least somewhat obligated to offer when regulations are being broken right in front of you.

Very well put.

dragon
05-26-2011, 08:51 AM
A couple of things here. I dont want to watch someone drown and I dont really want to risk my life(but would) trying to save someone because they feel its ok to drink on the water! Most drownings are acohol related! Thats why you should care!

Perfect example!

Last may long I was awoken at 1 am by 2 distraught ladies asking what the address was at Pigeon Lake. I asked them "whyyyy?" and they said one of their friends cut their foot and needed an ambulance to go to the hospital as they were all too drunk to drive!.

I could have given them instructions on how to get an ambulance out there and gone back to bed, Instead I said ok lets go take a look. I went with them and they showed me a guy that was severely intoxicated and smelled of weed with a severe laceration in the bottom of his foot. I had one of the ladies take me in their cabin to get more towels. When inside I whitnessed several folks snorting a white powder off the coffee table. (I am ASSUMING it was an illegal substance but hey... it could have been coffee whitener)

Back to the storey. I ended up meeting the ambulance enroute as there were some serious concerns from myself and now our other sober neighbor about him bleeding out.

Okotokian
05-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Perfect example!

Last may long I was awoken at 1 am by 2 distraught ladies asking what the address was at Pigeon Lake. I asked them "whyyyy?" and they said one of their friends cut their foot and needed an ambulance to go to the hospital as they were all too drunk to drive!.

I could have given them instructions on how to get an ambulance out there and gone back to bed, Instead I said ok lets go take a look. I went with them and they showed me a guy that was severely intoxicated and smelled of weed with a severe laceration in the bottom of his foot. I had one of the ladies take me in their cabin to get more towels. When inside I whitnessed several folks snorting a white powder off the coffee table. (I am ASSUMING it was an illegal substance but hey... it could have been coffee whitener)

Back to the storey. I ended up meeting the ambulance enroute as there were some serious concerns from myself and now our other sober neighbor about him bleeding out.

That was very humanitarian of you.... couldn't have had anything to do with two drunk, stoned, and hopefully VERY appreciative and grateful ladies? ;) LOL

Redfrog
05-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Okie, you really need to raise the bar.:)

I mean I like women just a little on the trashy side, but c'mon, not comatose.:snapoutofit:

Jwood 456
05-26-2011, 11:24 AM
i realy like the part were you left YOUR regs with them to help point them out on the rules

X2! That way those guys can be politley notified about what they were doing. I have also tried to reason directly with drunk people before and let me tell ya, it was not pleasant.:scared0018: