PDA

View Full Version : Spray Lakes REPORT/VIDEO

critter
05-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Amazing that we are able to ice fish this close to June. Hit spray at my favourite spot for one last time and the lakers were very aggressive, hitting the jig up to 5 times before getting hooked. Couldnt get the jig down all morning, lots of takes mid-water column, and the longest i went without a bite was about 5 minutes. Landed about 45 fish, most standard size, some a bit bigger, then i got a really nice one. Not as big as the other ones ive got there in the last 2 winters, but around 5-6 pounds. Hooked deep and bled like a stuck pig as you can see, so i kept it. Its nice to see that all the big ones ive seen from here are in awesome shape and very healthy with lots of fat to peel away when gutting. It seems they just need to make the prey-->predator jump in size until they can really eat well as there is no abundant baitfish food source. Picked a good day as i had mainly sunny skies and didnt need a coat all day. About 15 inches of good clear ice and 6-10 inches of flood water/slush on top. Heres the video, cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQTrYjmapLE

chubbdarter
05-24-2011, 04:12 PM
nice...thanks

npauls
05-24-2011, 04:27 PM
That is one thing I would really like to get off of the bucket list.

Bull trout and lakers through the ice.

Thanks for the vid. and report.

critter
05-24-2011, 05:16 PM
I should add that i passed a spot someone had been fishing where there was a full black tent canvas with poles collapsed, half frozen into the lake, 5-6 beer cans, ciggarette butts, feces, plastic bags, and empty lure containers. It was lovely. Some people have no respect.

troutslammer40
05-24-2011, 09:03 PM
nice fish! i guess 6 lbs

birchy
05-24-2011, 10:23 PM
I should add that i passed a spot someone had been fishing where there was a full black tent canvas with poles collapsed, half frozen into the lake, 5-6 beer cans, ciggarette butts, feces, plastic bags, and empty lure containers. It was lovely. Some people have no respect.

Stuff like this just blows my mind!! How do people think that's okay? ESPECIALLY in a place as beautiful as Spray!!

rielbowhunter
05-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Nice laker! Do you have much luck there in the summertime?

Dust1n
05-25-2011, 07:29 AM
nice fishing and x2

FishBrain
05-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Beauty fish, I know what you are talking about with the garbage. I have been removing metal poles, and crap for the last few months there. Travis went on a garbage walk while looking for holes and I think he ran out of places to hold the garbage he picked up.

Braun
05-25-2011, 09:10 AM
this video makes me miss ice fishing already...... anyone want to make a trip to spray this weekend? lol

Hunter Trav
05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Now that my sunburn is healed from my outing with FishBrain the weekend before, I'm definitely tempted. Unfortunately I've got other things I'm already commited to this weekend... :(

FishBrain
05-25-2011, 02:42 PM
I agree the burn is all better now, and I have sunscreen for next time...But if I am going to be moving to Fort Mac then I better get some stuff done around the home before we sell. BUT OOOHHHHHH, the temptation.
Wonder what Mrs. Me would say?

troutslammer40
05-28-2011, 02:17 PM
too bad about the garbage, thats a shame. Nice fish though

bigfis
05-28-2011, 05:03 PM
That is one of the biggest fish I have seen out of spray. God job on the all most June ice fishing:)