PDA

View Full Version : questions for small rainbows

Granrey
05-25-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm new into fishing and my nearest pond was recently stocked.

I went yesterday and tried to fish and while I could see tons of fish coming to the surface very often I could not catch anything after couple hrs.

I was using powerbait and I think in some cases either the hook was too big, the bait fall of or the fish ate the bait but not the hook.

The fish brought to the pond are very small IMO, anyways, I think I should use Treble hook size 18 and wrap it with power bait. That would allow the fish to swallow the hook better and the treble would reduce the bail falling off. is this a good strategy?

Also, should I use bobber? I saw people fishing without it.

Guys any advice is appreciated.

FishingFrenzy
05-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Welcome to the forums!
Tip for powerbait. Take a cotton ball and put it in your powerbait container. When you go to use, pull off a very small hunk of cotton, take a little bit of dough, work the dough into the cotton. Makes it so it will NEVER fall off. size 18 treble should work well. Very bad for the fish when baitfishing tho. If the fish swallow the hook they can get all three tines of the hook caught, if your CnR many of the fish you release may die

If i were you i would take a smallish bobber, put a size 12-14 SINGLE hook under it, use powerbait or pieces of worm. Should work well!

How heavy is your line? for small rainbows 6lb or less is ideal.

Gust
05-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Foistly,,,

I take it you are using the slip weight method? If not,,, try using a very light action rod with 4lb test and the #18 treble (the brass looking one) below a light slip weight,, cast out but don't close your bail until it sinks and don't put the rod down but rather hold it pointing towards where you cast, click your bail but don't take in the slack (maybe a little but don't reel in until there is tension, just pick up a little),, then watch the line near the surface,, when it starts to move out in twitches, then gently pick up the slack but not completely but until you feel the initial bump, then set, and Bobs your Uncle.

I detest powerbait,,, but it works,, yellow with sparkles,, if you get annoyed with it, try little bits of squid but with a pickerel rig-like set-up with little flashers above a weight.

Granrey
05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
oops, after reading and doing more research I noticed I was doing something wrong.

I was putting the hook and sinker both at the end of the line.

I noticed several rigs set ups that I must consider.

Dust1n
05-25-2011, 08:17 PM
mabe your rod is too fast. try a slower action rod like a UL with a longer tip.
so it will absorb your hookset and when the fish sprints forward your rod picks up the slack instantly.
best colors of powerbait imo are pink,chartuse,brown.

Granrey
05-25-2011, 09:30 PM
If i were you i would take a smallish bobber, put a size 12-14 SINGLE hook under it, use powerbait or pieces of worm. Should work well!

How heavy is your line? for small rainbows 6lb or less is ideal.

but I still have to add the sinker right? when I have tried without the sinker is challenging to cast.

FishingFrenzy
05-25-2011, 10:15 PM
but I still have to add the sinker right? when I have tried without the sinker is challenging to cast.

I personally never have a problem casting bobbers. I suppose you could add a split shot or two 6 in above the bait.

If its difficult to cast because its not heavy enough I would add a couple split shot right under the bobber.