PDA

View Full Version : losing hooks

Thundercatcher
05-25-2011, 08:41 PM
When I go to the local trout pond. Chickakoo or sauer lake. I seem to lose a lot of hooks. At least 2 per trip and those spinners are 4 bucks each. Is there any way to lose less. They get snagged on logs or weeds.

FishingFrenzy
05-25-2011, 09:29 PM
What type/lb-age of line are you using? Also what knot are you using?

Sounds like your knot might be failing or your using very light lb-test

How are you trying to get your hooks free? I've seen lots of people just yank on their rod hoping the hook pops free.. it doesnt. Walk back and forth along the bank giving short, sharp tugs.

Other than that, not sure. Maybe start using flys under bobbers if your spots are full of snags

bloopbloob
05-25-2011, 09:33 PM
I agree, trout ponds aren't a leading cause of hook loss!!! Usually not much to get snagged too badly on. I'd guess its either bad line, or bad knots.

Thundercatcher
05-25-2011, 09:36 PM
I.m using pline floroclear right now at 4 pound test. It seems that when I make aknow it breaks the line when I tighten it.

gonefishin
05-25-2011, 09:42 PM
I.m using pline floroclear right now at 4 pound test. It seems that when I make aknow it breaks the line when I tighten it.

If the knot is breaking when you tie it, then:

a- your line might be old and crappy;
b- your pulling too hard for 4lb test; or
c- you're not lubing the knot (i.e- sptting on it or dipping it in the lake).

carterM
05-25-2011, 11:10 PM
If you're fishing around lots of snags and your line snaps when you tighten the knot, it's possible that your line is frayed from rubbing along all those logs/rocks and is therefore weakened. I'd try running your line between your index finger and thumb and see if it feels rough. If it is, cut off some line until the line feels smooth and try again. (This might be bad advice if the fluoroclear line is naturally rough, but from what I know of it it shouldn't be)

stc77
05-25-2011, 11:25 PM
could be your line... what knot are you using? Also a good way to help prevent snags... take off the treble hooks and replace with a single hook. Put the single hook on so that when it is in the water, it will naturally curve upwards towards the surface... thus reducing the chance of it pointing down and hooking on something. I do this and it has greatly reduced my lure loss. Or even leave the treble on but cut the one hook that is naturally pointing downwards off... this also helps a lot.

FishingFrenzy
05-25-2011, 11:26 PM
could be your line... what knot are you using? Also a good way to help prevent snags... take off the treble hooks and replace with a single hook. Put the single hook on so that when it is in the water, it will naturally curve upwards towards the surface... thus reducing the chance of it pointing down and hooking on something. I do this and it has greatly reduced my lure loss. Or even leave the treble on but cut the one hook that is naturally pointing downwards off... this also helps a lot.

Can't replace hooks on most spinners as the hook is attached
directly to the wire part.

chubbdarter
05-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Can't replace hooks on most spinners as the hook is attached
directly to the wire part.

cut the eye on the treble...remove hook
replace single with a split ring or open eye, attach single and close eye

stc77
05-25-2011, 11:36 PM
exactly, cut the hook off, you can even buy hooks that come with an open eye that you can put on then crimp it shut, works great. Gamakatsu makes some, called open eye (siwash). they are great.

perchie15
05-25-2011, 11:57 PM
When I go to the local trout pond. Chickakoo or sauer lake. I seem to lose a lot of hooks. At least 2 per trip and those spinners are 4 bucks each. Is there any way to lose less. They get snagged on logs or weeds.

Try this method anytime ur snagged, rear yr rod back keepin line tight then grab line from reel to first guide pull it away from the rod in a bow an arrow technique once u have good tension in rod an line fling rod forward an release line from ur hand it should push bait away from snag. When u feel ur hook about to get snagged don't jerk it right away also will should help..

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Id say work on your knots . I am running 15 lb braided line with a 10 foot 8lb mono leader for trouting set up , works great . Ive been snagged a few times but not breaking off .

How old is your line .

Has your line been sitting around for some time ?

Has your line sat in the sun for long periods of time ?

Bad knots ?
Take a look at this website , very strong knot . And simple to tie .
http://www.howcast.com/videos/32889-Fishing-Knots-Tie-a-Palomar-Knot-GetREELedcom

Thundercatcher
05-26-2011, 12:11 AM
It's new line, I just bought it

05-26-2011, 12:22 AM
It's new line, I just bought it

Does it feel fragile ? Or normal . Sometimes that suff sits on a back shelf for years or even on the floor for months and years . If thats not the issue , then I gotta say it .

Lessons in knots would be your benefit .

Ill even meet up with you and teach you a few very simple ones .

Could meet you at a nearby trout lake .

cranky
05-26-2011, 12:28 AM
I just cut a couple of the hooks off the treble. Seems to have the same action on spoons in water. Is there a reason this isnt a good idea?

05-26-2011, 12:32 AM
I just cut a couple of the hooks off the treble. Seems to have the same action on spoons in water. Is there a reason this isnt a good idea?

Makes the hook not evenly weights . Would change the intended action of the lure .

Geezle
05-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Sounds like you've got a couple possible things going on here.

You say that it's breaking off easily when you tie it? Make sure that you're wetting your knot when you tighten down on it to reduce the friction on the line in the knot. If you find that it's still breaking too easily then you may have somehow ended up with some old stock when you purchased your line...either that or the line is just too light for the application.

Grab yourself a spool of plain ol' Trilene XL in 4lb or possibly 6lb and try tying a knot with it and see if it performs differently than your P-Line and go from there. Heck, if you get out with BBJ in the near future on one of the closer trout ponds I could probably show up and just give you some line to try out...I've got plenty of extra :)

Hunter Trav
05-26-2011, 08:41 AM
I use P-Line 4lb floro leaders for icefishing, and it can be a bit of a pain sometimes. I'd say that your either not lubing the line when you tie your knot, or your trying to tighten it too much, or both. It doesn't take much to break it so you have to be careful when cinching down your knots. What knot are you using BTW? I found a improved clinch knot works best for me, and only wrap it like 3-4 times before finishing the knot. Here's a link for that knot if your not familiar with it...

http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedclinch/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Hope that helps.