PDA

View Full Version : Ssr

coearle
05-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Hey Everyone,

Hopefully someone can give me some good feedback in regards to this. I am hoping to go down to the river this weekend and try my luck at sturgeon. My concerns are the speed at which the river is flowing, the height of the river and how dirty it is. Will this greatly affect the fishing?

Also, I was going to use some rotted liver as bait.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dale S
05-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Welcome to the forum The best advice I would give you in these kind of conditions is you need a fishing rod that can handle 5 to 6 oz. weights if your fishing from shore.Thats what it takes to keep your bait out where the fish are.You dont want to hook up with a big fish with a reel that has 100yds of 10 lb. line on it. There are big fish in the river and they fight hard.

Fishfinder
05-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Also try and look for bends in the riv where the water slows somewhat. The deeper the better IMO.
And I'd recommend big fat dew worms and maybe some big shiners too if u wanna try for some walleye. Heard of guys using liver, never heard of anyone catching anything on it. Best bet - worms.

The conditions are rough right now, hopefully the rain moves up north soon where they could really use it. We sure don't need anymore!!

Cheers n GL!

Kokanee9
05-25-2011, 09:18 PM
I can't offer any advice because I have no experience with sturgeon, but I will offer "best of luck".

lone wolf
05-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Forget the liver, stick to big fat dew worms on a single hook. Like Dago said, heavy tackle is recommended. His advice may seem like overkill however it is only a matter of time until someone tops 100lbs :sHa_shakeshout: If you are onshore and you hook into one of the monsters, you will be wishing for the big stuff. The river is high & dirty (and rising) right now, but remember that sturgeon are scent predators, so water clarity is a moot point. Study the channel, and look for slacker water out of the main current & close to deep holes.

TIGHT LINES !!!

coearle
05-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the advice. My gear is currently set up as follows:

Rod is a 6'6 2 piece medium power Shimano Voltaeus

Reel is a Pflueger Supreme XT medium freshwater reel model #9235XT

I was thinking of using 20# Trilene Big Game.

Does this setup sound like it will suffice?

Thanks!

buckbrushoutdoors
05-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Skip the mono, use only braided. And anything over 30lb would be best I run 60lb berkely power pro. Your rod will be just fine but make sure your reel can handle more than a 100 yards of line if fishing from shore. And don't use pickerel Rigs make your own using circle hooks and some good braided