PDA

View Full Version : boat rod holder ?

slipbobber
05-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Who out there have rod holders in there boats? What are they usefull for and which brands seam to work the best?

trapshooter
05-25-2011, 10:28 PM
1 1/2 PVC Pipe with metal zip ties work!

chubbdarter
05-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Who out there have rod holders in there boats? What are they usefull for and which brands seam to work the best?

I do
For holding rods
Scotty

horsetrader
05-25-2011, 10:56 PM

Yep got berkeys in one and BPS in other

horsetrader
05-25-2011, 11:09 PM

They are one of the first things I put in my boats.

You need some place to put your rod when you take a wizz

Lambo
05-25-2011, 11:25 PM
They are one of the first things I put in my boats.

You need some place to put your rod when you take a wizz

x2

I have 7 rod holder locations in my boat. All Scottys. Need some place to put rod when I have my nap. Great for trolling too.

npauls
05-25-2011, 11:28 PM
I have 4 scotty bases right now and will be putting 4 more in when I can afford it. Scottys are really common and you can add other things to the bases other then just rod holders.

horsetrader
05-25-2011, 11:32 PM
x2

I have 7 rod holder locations in my boat. All Scottys. Need some place to put rod when I have my nap. Great for trolling too.

I do most of my trolling here..............:sEm_oops2:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Ive got them Scotty ones in my boat and will have them in my new boat and also have one on my bench when I shore fish the river , Bought a Berkley one have yet to use it as they didnt have any scotty ones at the time I needed another .

Lambo
05-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Scottys has 2 kinds of rod holders - the spincaster holder (basically a tube) which I use mostly; and the baitcaster holder (which has the slot and cut out for the baitcasting reel), it also has a collar that you turn to secure your rod into the holder. I don't really like this one.

05-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Scottys has 2 kinds of rod holders - the spincaster holder (basically a tube) which I use mostly; and the baitcaster holder (which has the slot and cut out for the baitcasting reel), it also has a collar that you turn to lock your rod into the holder. I don't really this one.

Those are the ones I use I love them .They are great esspecially if your trollling , as you can lock it in or leave it open . I live with my baitcaster I rarely use my spincast reel . Even for Walleye jigging . I outta kiss the person who introduced me to the baitcaster .

Lambo
05-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Those are the ones I use I love them .They are great esspecially if your trollling , as you can lock it in or leave it open . I live with my baitcaster I rarely use my spincast reel . Even for Walleye jigging . I outta kiss the person who introduced me to the baitcaster .

I will be happy when I learn to use my baitcaster to its full potential, tired of getting birdnests.

05-26-2011, 12:25 AM
I will be happy when I learn to use my baitcaster to its full potential, tired of getting birdnests.

Its very simple to do . Just gotta adjust the spool . What reel you running ?

When you put your weight or jig on it you should be able to release it and it slowly go to the ground and the spool should stop as soon as the weight or jig hits the ground .

Otherwise thats whats causing the birdsnests . Ive been using bait casters pretty much exclusively for 8 years now . Started off with a Shamano Colisto

slipbobber
05-26-2011, 06:48 AM
OK. Looked at the Scotty web site and what I want is the model 280 rod holder in gray. So far I cant find anywhere to order this specific rod holder on line. Scotty does not have any contact info on there site. Anyone see the grey rod holder in any of the stores in Alberta? I will call TFH to see if they call order these in for me if they don't stock them.

lolanr
05-26-2011, 01:14 PM
I saw some grey Scotty holders at Wholesale in Lethbridge yesterday. I am in the market for some also and trying to decide what I would like best. I do like the looks of the Scotty but I would also like to see the Ram holders before I make a decision.

Does everyone recommend the recessed bases?

Mark
05-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Scotty are the way to go hands down. Used them for 15 years. Would never change.

Photoplex
05-26-2011, 02:23 PM
OK. Looked at the Scotty web site and what I want is the model 280 rod holder in gray. So far I cant find anywhere to order this specific rod holder on line. Scotty does not have any contact info on there site. Anyone see the grey rod holder in any of the stores in Alberta? I will call TFH to see if they call order these in for me if they don't stock them.

TFH Calgary had some black, grey and white 280s last summer. I prefer the 280 over the rest because it'll hold and lock a baitcaster or a spinner.

Lambo
05-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Its very simple to do . Just gotta adjust the spool . What reel you running ?

When you put your weight or jig on it you should be able to release it and it slowly go to the ground and the spool should stop as soon as the weight or jig hits the ground .

Otherwise thats whats causing the birdsnests . Ive been using bait casters pretty much exclusively for 8 years now . Started off with a Shamano Colisto

My baitcaster is a Shimano but not sure what model. It's in my boat right now. I'll try what you suggested. Thanks!

Stump thumper
05-28-2011, 09:12 AM
I purchased 2 of the Scotty's 280 yesterday at WSS in Lethbridge, they were cheaper there than BPS which surprised me.

oilngas
05-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Love the scotties as well, have several bases around the boat, so wherever I take a nap one is at hand. Also like the lock in with the ring feature as well.

as far as the baitcaster, I have a few middle of the road reels that work very for me well for bottom bouncing, trolling etc. when i think about it, those are the reels that i use the "spider wire" type line on and that seems to work very well for bouncing. Good advice re; adjusting the hold back friction on the spool.

packhuntr
05-28-2011, 09:41 AM
I went to the Ram stuff all around. All electronics mounts and rod holders work well, very strong and capable of large load capacities with all, and capable of handling serious continuous pounding without slipping/moving. If the proper models are purchased for the applications you will be quite happy with these guys stuff I would bet. Another option anyways.

Willowtrail
05-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Scotty all the way. Use aleays for trolling resting and just holding while I'm busy doing something else. They have all pieces to mount in the same holder. Fly rod, spinning rod and baitcasters

bobalong
05-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I use Folbes and and also have a couple of Scotty 350's. Folbes are a quick release style, great for setting the hook right out of the holder. Scotty also makes a similar model called the Orca, but I find the Folbes a little smoother opening.

freeones
05-30-2011, 10:26 AM
I use Folbes and and also have a couple of Scotty 350's. Folbes are a quick release style, great for setting the hook right out of the holder. Scotty also makes a similar model called the Orca, but I find the Folbes a little smoother opening.

Another vote for Folbes. Once you've used them, you won't go back.