PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing this weekend. Need answers/advice

biggamehunter
05-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Hello,
Im heading out to fly fish the streams south and west of rocky mountain house this weekend and I have a few questions. What stream/ river do u prefer in that area? And what flies are effective this time of year? Streamers? What colour, what type? Thanks guys! All info is appreciated.

Scott N
05-26-2011, 01:07 PM
My first thought was that you should check the water level / clarity before heading out. Farther south the rivers are in bad shape right now.

But yes, streamers are a good choice at this time of year as are any number of nymphs you could choose from.

densa44
05-26-2011, 01:49 PM
If the water is all riled up. it is almost impossible to catch anything. If the water is clear, all those streams are excellent!

TheFishHunter
05-26-2011, 03:01 PM
If the water is all riled up. it is almost impossible to catch anything. If the water is clear, all those streams are excellent!

It is tough but use bright colored clousers if you have or white woolly buggers with lots of crystal flash. Since the water will be higher, it will also be flowing faster... so the quicker you can get it down to the fish the better.. good luck!

Dust1n
05-26-2011, 04:44 PM
go to the very headwaters of a small creek and fish tht lots of willing cuts

biggamehunter
05-26-2011, 05:50 PM
I'll be tieing bright colored streamers tonight.

biggamehunter
05-27-2011, 08:00 AM
I tied pink wooly buggers and a few bucktail streamers :)

TheFishHunter
05-27-2011, 09:20 AM
go to the very headwaters of a small creek and fish tht lots of willing cuts

Exactly. Good point. You may be able to entice some larger trout here..

Sbrooks
05-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Fishunter7, cutthroat streams are actaully closed to fishing this weekend or any other weekend before june 16. For a guy that gives countless advice, you should know the basics...

Biggamehunter, I would not bother going out as everything will be blown out

0liver
05-27-2011, 10:21 AM
elk river is usually great for bows bulls and & browns this time of year, if your far enough up stream you can nail some biggies in the deeper pools

biggamehunter
05-27-2011, 11:14 AM
im hitting the clear water, praire creek, nordegg, and brazeau= they are all open bud

italk2u
05-27-2011, 12:21 PM
I can't speak for the Brazeau or Nordegg areas but the prairie and clearwater are quadruple the normal flow rate.
You might want to check this site out.
http://environment.alberta.ca/apps/basins/default.aspx
and then go to the "table" for the current flow rates.
btw...more rain predicted today and tonight.

TheFishHunter
05-27-2011, 02:31 PM
The larger systems like the clearwater will be very difficult to fish when they are high. You may want to try to stick to littler rivers and creeks that are open..

jebber6
05-27-2011, 04:28 PM
I was in the area yesterday, Clearwater out at the trunk road was blown out. Prairie and Tay are no good, Elk Creek was high and muddy, Cutoff was looking good. It still had some ice cover.

Okotokian
05-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Streams? STREAMS????? You've got streams open? arrrrghhh... down here in ES1 almost nothing is open until June 15, and even then you probably won't be able to see 3 inches with the way things are looking. I'm envious.

Dust1n
05-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Fishunter7, cutthroat streams are actaully closed to fishing this weekend or any other weekend before june 16. For a guy that gives countless advice, you should know the basics...

Biggamehunter, I would not bother going out as everything will be blown out

not all of em...and its kinda common sense to check your regs before you go stream hiking.