PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cube in the wind

Ace
12-18-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up the 4-man ice cube this week.

I'm just curious how it is in the wind?? How well do the ice anchors work?

Thanks
Ace

-NDN-
12-18-2007, 01:00 PM
if you use the anchors properly......SOLID

zenstalker
12-18-2007, 01:54 PM
i'll second that..

Cam-hunter
12-18-2007, 02:21 PM
X3 we use them all the time they work great

Ace
12-18-2007, 02:22 PM
OK..OK..you sold me..LOL!!!

Thanks for the reassuring.

See ya
Ace

Win94
12-18-2007, 02:41 PM
They are the shiznizzle!!!!:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/Win94/DSCF0856.jpg

Tabers Best
12-18-2007, 08:17 PM
On saturday we had it stacked down in a 45 km wind with gusts going higher. Much better than standing in the wind. I got mine at Wall mart in the spring for $169 with carry bag and stakes (the 4 person model) It sets up and takes down in no time at all even with just 1 person.

cuda
12-18-2007, 08:54 PM
I think you be happy with the ice cube four person , used mine for the first time last weekend wind was strong in the afternoon held with no problem as for the screw in ice anchors thew held no problem I used my cordless drill and a 3/8 bit then ran the ice screw in held good with out the hassel of the ice chiping around it.

BloodHound70
12-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Can you buy ice cubes now. There for a while they were taken off the market.

BH

Ace
12-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Yup. I bought mine yesterday at the Fishin' Hole. Wholesale did have a bunch a month or so ago...

Ace

bowchaser
12-19-2007, 05:04 PM
anyone put a floor of any kind in theirs? just sweet talked myself into one. None left at WS, wally world, fishin hole etc and they tell me no more shipped this year.

BloodHound70
12-20-2007, 05:27 AM
Do you mean in '07 or at all anymore this winter. Would be absolutely rediculous as the ice fish season is just gettin' going.

BH

bowchaser
12-20-2007, 03:00 PM
that's what I'm told by WS and fishin hole. They got a limited supply and they were gone quick and not getting more. You can get one on ebay though for pretty close to the same bucks.

Fishin' Fool
12-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Do any of you feel that not having a floor is a hassle?

I have a 2 man suitcase style tent and when I want to move, I just pull the whole thing, contents and all, to the new location. I used to use an old style floorless tent and it was great if staying put but moving was always a hassle. I don't mean moving across the lake, but when you're just moving 10-100 yards it meant numerous trips hauling pails, camera, heater, auger etc. Not a huge deal, but annoying to me.

antler man
12-20-2007, 09:40 PM
I Have An Ice Cube Went Out Last Year Fishing And Was To Lazy
To Anchor It Because I Was Only Going To Be Out For A Couble Of Hrs The Wind Came Up And Blew It Across The Lake Lots Of Fun
But Love It Its Easy To Set Up

brett01
12-20-2007, 09:53 PM
i'm thinking of getting one. I have a quickflip by eskimo. Its an awesome tent all folds down into a sled, has a built in bench. The only thing i dont like about it is that its green. Its not dark enough for my liking.

jefferson
12-23-2007, 05:33 PM
I just bought one last week; I've been very happy with it, although I think one would need to make an adjustment of some kind to use the anchors properly. That said, we've used it in the wind a couple of times, and simply tied it down to the auger, and it does fine. Nice and warm, dark, and plenty of room. I'm very happy with it! It's also very easy to set up and take down- takes about 30 seconds to set up, and two minutes to take down, including packing it back into the bag.

Bear Ballz
12-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Used mine today, probably the biggest piece of crap I've used in a while. Zipper had a little bit of snow and ice in it and even after trying to clean it the thing still wouldn't zip up properly. When we were folding it up one of the stoppers inside that hold the poles out... broke. I find it very cheap and wouldn't recommend it to anybody. But I suppose for what they cost I shouldn't expect much. Other than that it's a pretty solid unit.:)

Tabers Best
12-24-2007, 09:46 AM
:evilgrin: Bear Balls Maybe you need to review the instructions. Mine works fine.

Wes_G
12-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey Bear, how old is your tent? the problems you mentioned are just but a few of the reasons that the first models were pulled from the shelves. I have not taken a closer look at the newest models, but hopefully they have fixed these and many other problems that I saw with them.

Bear Ballz
12-25-2007, 12:22 PM
:evilgrin: Bear Balls Maybe you need to review the instructions. Mine works fine.

Maybe I need to fold you up in that tent as a little Xmas suprise.

Hey Wes, the tent is brand new this year from the fishin hole, I have some JB weld on it right now. Hopefully she'll hold for Boxing day. :confused:

curtis_rak
12-25-2007, 12:29 PM
I have both styles of tent, the cube and the 2-man 'suitcase' style...

I much prefer the suitcase style. I find that it sets up faster and hold up better in the wind. For me its faster to just kick some snow around the pop-up tent to prevent it from sliding Vs. screwing in all of the anchors. Its much better for me during the days when im running-and-gunning all over the ice...

The upside of the cube is that it doesnt matter how you drill your holes. With the pop-up tent, it has to be pretty much exact or else your hooped and have to drill another hole.

A lot of it come to personal preference, so this is my input on it... :)

Ace
12-25-2007, 04:23 PM
I tried my ice cube out..maybe the last one in Edmonton from the sounds of it...and it worked great. Popped up in just a few minutes, not bad considering my first time. Popped down in under a minute.

Thanks for the tip on taking the cordless drill to drill pilot holes for the stakes..worked great!!

I got my Jiffy auger for Christmas today..get everything I need.

Merry Christmas!!

See ya
Ace