PDA

View Full Version : quality jigs

the local angler
05-26-2011, 08:13 PM
hey all last nite i was fishing travers and had a good day. the bad thing is i lost alot of tackle, some were by pike with no leader. my issue is i have a impulsive tendancy to buy tons of gear but some of the jigs i bought throughout the years became an issue meaning i would get a bite and i set the hook and fight the fish for a few seconds and they spit the hook and so i thought. i go to rebait the hook and i notice the ball jigs i had on snapped right where the curve is on the hook. not once but multiple times. my first guess was maybe it was a cheap quality jig but when it happened very often on this trip i was wondering do hooks go brittle if they sit unused ? i normally grab variety packs and sizes of JIMS JIGS, whats a good quality jig manufacturer?

chubbdarter
05-26-2011, 08:45 PM
northlands makes a good gaulity product
Owner makes one of the best

Kokanee9
05-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Do you use a file on your barbs and the tip of the file is hitting down on the bend?
Do you have a stiff rod and bring it back too hard or fast when you get a strike?

gunner72
05-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Matzuo

the local angler
05-26-2011, 09:11 PM
i ussually pinch the barbs with needle nose plyers and my rod i use is a medium action berkley rod.

Dust1n
05-26-2011, 09:13 PM
you using mono and how deep of water?

bobalong
05-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Strongest jigs I have used are slow poke jigs. Smack jigs are also very strong but I dont believe they are available any more.

Daceminnow
05-26-2011, 09:31 PM
hey all last nite i was fishing travers and had a good day. the bad thing is i lost alot of tackle, some were by pike with no leader. my issue is i have a impulsive tendancy to buy tons of gear but some of the jigs i bought throughout the years became an issue meaning i would get a bite and i set the hook and fight the fish for a few seconds and they spit the hook and so i thought. i go to rebait the hook and i notice the ball jigs i had on snapped right where the curve is on the hook. not once but multiple times. my first guess was maybe it was a cheap quality jig but when it happened very often on this trip i was wondering do hooks go brittle if they sit unused ? i normally grab variety packs and sizes of JIMS JIGS, whats a good quality jig manufacturer?

PM sent

chubbdarter
05-26-2011, 09:33 PM
PM sent

haahhhaahahhhaa....Wagg is in the bag

Daceminnow
05-26-2011, 09:56 PM
haahhhaahahhhaa....Wagg is in the bag

?

Geezle
05-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Perhaps I've just been lucky but I've always done well with just the jigs out of the bulk bins at TFH or WSS. I've had them bend really bad when hung up on a log or something else bad, but I've never snapped one off.

BGSH
05-26-2011, 10:25 PM

jims jiggs is awsome works great

the local angler
05-26-2011, 10:58 PM
i am using trilene xl 6lb test, not sure of the depth. i sometimes have them break off at the barb too when pinching the barbs.

jeprli
05-27-2011, 07:06 AM
I'd reccomend you to buy a mOld and some good quality hooks.
Eagle claw 570,630 should solve all your problems.

What size hook do you normaly use?

npauls
05-29-2011, 06:57 PM
I have snapped the shanks on Jim's jigs alot and won't buy anymore. Look into northland, fin tech, matzuo, and lindy jigs. There is also a guy name Barry that fishes the SAWT and makes jigs. He can be found on kijiji and has a ton of different styles and colors.

I think his company is "fishing jigs and things" on kijiji. I have bought a bunch from him and will be buying more when I need some.

the local angler
05-29-2011, 11:33 PM
yeah right now its kinda trail and error for me as all of my jigs are mixed in together and i can't tell which ones are from what company. i definately will not buy any more of jims jigs.thanks for the info on the company for jig heads.

BGSH
05-29-2011, 11:36 PM
I have snapped the shanks on Jim's jigs alot and won't buy anymore. Look into northland, fin tech, matzuo, and lindy jigs. There is also a guy name Barry that fishes the SAWT and makes jigs. He can be found on kijiji and has a ton of different styles and colors.

I think his company is "fishing jigs and things" on kijiji. I have bought a bunch from him and will be buying more when I need some.

was using matzuo, was working great today :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Mudslide
05-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Bass Pro XPS jigs use owner hooks. I bought a bunch of last years models on clearance. Semi stand up jig with 3D eyes. Pretty decent for the price.