PDA

View Full Version : lets have a thread the hunting guys dont make fun of

chubbdarter
05-27-2011, 10:14 AM
no beotch slapping...happy thoughts

So heres the Question......Who taught you how to fish?

0liver
05-27-2011, 10:17 AM
friends father and myself

chubbdarter
05-27-2011, 10:18 AM
My pa was the greatest fisherman ive ever known and still today much of what he taught me is highly influential in my fishing.
My uncles taught me how not to fish...lol

Scott N
05-27-2011, 10:19 AM
My Dad did, probably like most people.

Lefty-Canuck
05-27-2011, 10:20 AM
My Dad taught me how to fish mostly, but a buddy got me into fly fishing for pike and after you do that.....its a huge blast!

Lefty

gonefishin
05-27-2011, 10:22 AM
My Dad was the first to take me fishing and the one who got me interested in it, but all I knew back then was fishing with a pickerel rig and worms... the knowledge I have now I would say I have learned on my own.

RayL42
05-27-2011, 10:27 AM
My Dad is not an outdoorsman, but when I was 5-6 years old my uncle hit a rough patch and moved in with us. In the short time he lived with us he got me hooked (no pun intended) on fishing, archery, and hunting. In the 26 years since he is still teaching me things but now and again I get lucky and am able to teach him something.

diamonddave
05-27-2011, 10:28 AM
There's some guy, in a little town, by some lake called Gull, that has been invaluable to me on this forum...:scared0018:
JK.......
My long gone granfather and great uncle had me digging worms for them when I was knee hi to a grass hopper!!

New Hunter Okotoks
05-27-2011, 10:31 AM

Who cares??? It's not a real sport like hunting anyways!!! A monkey could be taught to fish. Throw a hook with bait on it and wait for fish to bite and reel them in. DUH!!! How hard can this fishing stuff be anyways?
Just Kidding.

My old man taught me how to fish. I still have a lot of learning to do though since what works in one geographical area on certain species will have nothing to do with different species in another area. Case in point: I have caught probably thousands of Walleye,Pike,Bass...even a Muskie. But the first rainbow trout I caught was in the community lake here in Okotoks 3 years ago. I have never fly fished. A friend of mine out here has never seen a Bass. I have never seen a Brown trout,Bull Trout,Cutthroat or even a Whitefish. But I will at some point. I just need to find the spots and learn the tactics.

Braun
05-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Pretty much self taught. Learned alot from a bunch of guys on here but the the foreground knowledge I have is self taught.

In addition what was your first fish you ever caught?

Mine was a 2.5lb lake whitefish from swan lake when I was like 6

Sundancefisher
05-27-2011, 10:34 AM
My grandfather showed me how fun it would be...took me out ice fishing a lot. My dad enabled me to fish in the summer and took me out a few times. I had 4 spinning rods by age 10...like the cherrywood the most. Got a giant heavy 6 weight fiberglass fly rod at age 10 for Christmas. Mostly I worked at it on my own for hours on end. I was the kids that skipped junior high and high school and rod the bike down to the NSR to fish.

Parents would freak if they were alive but the junior high told us all first day we were only allowed 15 unexcused absense and then they call the parents. I had 15 every year. The receptionist actually would tell you how many you had left. Pretty funny.

I could always catch fish...regardless where we camped. Surprisingly there are lots of fish in the Athabasca beside the Wapiti campground.

First ever fish was a 12 " brookie on a panther martin out by Cadomin fishing with my Dad.

Lefty-Canuck
05-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Probably one of my most memorable fish was during the Beauville Jamboree (town fair) the first time they ever had a fishing derby at Don Sparrow lake.

There was a prize for first of the derby and I caught it. I remeber it was a huge Fenwick tackle box.....I could hardly carry it on my bike on the way home. I was so proud that my tackle box was now bigger than my Dads!

I still have that tackle box it houses all my spare archery stuff.

Lefty

Stinky Buffalo
05-27-2011, 11:28 AM
My dad was the one who introduced me to the sport.

It wasn't until I had my own kids that I realize what a sacrifice it was for him to take us out with him (where he would have found it more relaxing being out alone, away from the cries of "my feet are COOOOOOLD!" etc.) It was also his way of getting us out of Mom's hair. ;)

Man, now I'm itching to get the kids out and wet a line... :)

plinker
05-27-2011, 11:37 AM
My grandfather was the one who would take me out every summer in his green 14 foot rowboat with a small kicker and teach me to catch perch. Sometimes when I am around older two strokes running in the water I can close my eyes and smell the gas and oil and exhaust and flash right back to those perfect days.:) He taught me everything including patience which was hard for a young kid in those days. I taught my kids and now my grandson everything Poppa taught me.

Darren N
05-27-2011, 11:41 AM
My Dad and other friends and relatives took me out periodically when I was young. It wasnt untill I was in my late teens that I rediscovered it, and took it upon myself to enjoy learning it by trial and error. Mid fourties now and still learning by trial and error, and loving it more and more. Discovering fly fishing was after watching "A river runs through it"

dodger
05-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Both Ma and Pa were great fisherman. I was fortunate enough that all my uncles and aunts were also into fishing.

A family reunion was everbody fishing and meeting up at the end of the day for a fish fry and some slight drinking.

:) Dodger.

0liver
05-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Pretty much self taught. Learned alot from a bunch of guys on here but the the foreground knowledge I have is self taught.

In addition what was your first fish you ever caught?

Mine was a 2.5lb lake whitefish from swan lake when I was like 6

tiny little goldeye while holding my friends rod. I nearly killed the poor thing :(

Fisher_man#1
05-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Well it wasnt my dad who taught me how to fish, he hated fishing and thought it a waste of time. My Grandfather taught me a bit, but he knew fishing in the good old days when the lakes and streams were full of eager willing fish. Mainly i learned from mentors, buddies, books and the internet. Oh i also took a class or two but that was back when i was learning flyfishing.

Good thread Chubbs,

Ken07AOVette
05-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Dad taught me.

finsnfeathers
05-27-2011, 02:08 PM
My dad taught me so much. He taught me that "catching" fish was just a bonus while enjoying quality time with family and friends, and those memories last forever.

Outt and Aboutt
05-27-2011, 03:30 PM
My father wasn't much of a fisherman. He taught us a love of the outdoors, camping, canoeing, hiking, etc., but to him fishing was a hook, worm and a red and white bobber once a year, if that. I enjoyed it, but rarely went because I knew so little about it. He spent much of his spare time helping local clubs build hiking trails, and all he knew about 'hunters' was from the shot up signs he saw along the hiking trails (that he had made and helped install). So he wasn't much of a hunting or fishing enthusiast.

It wasn't until I met my wife in University and soon after met my future father in-law that I was really introduced to fishing and hunting. I was the son he never had, and he was the father(in law) with a lifelong passion for fishing and hunting but no son to share it with. He taught me how to fish, about fishing gear, about bass and walleye, motor boats, pickup trucks, rifles, bows and hunting. Much of what I have learned since then comes from reading books and magazines and this message board, but I credit him for my (and now my son's) current penchant to spend all our spare time (and money) fishing and hunting.

D

cranky
05-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Didnt have much of a home life,lotsa serious abuse. Hit the streets a 14/15 years old. Taught myself how to fish by asking stupid questions from some young guy out at Morrinville who was bobber fishing, and watching others i guess. Looked like fun. I started at 62 years old,now almost 65. (wont need to pay for a license next year,gotta be something good about getting old.Lol) First fish was a 8"rainbow with a bobber and worm at Morrinville. Still mostly using a bobber of some sort and never have fished anywhere but ponds so far.

chubbdarter
05-27-2011, 04:07 PM
stories from the heart.....the best

Fishing teaches us about LIFE

WayneChristie
05-27-2011, 04:29 PM
self taught, but special thanks to some nameless older gentleman who pointed out that smaller hooks would be the way to go on the Bow, and lots of blood sweat and tears, and Im still learning, now with a lot of great tips and pointers from friends
first fish was some sort of trout on the Elbow in Bragg Creek provincial park, still have a picture of it somewhere, cant believe I was ever that young. .

horsetrader
05-27-2011, 04:46 PM
My dad was a hunter , a fisherman and a trapper he was raised in the mountains in Quebec before he came to Ontario. He tried to showed my older brother a few things but he didn't care for the outdoors. About the time i was old enough I could hardly wait. Unfortunately my dad had an accident and was crippled up most of my growing years he was either in a bed at home or in the hospital it was years before he could walk again and then took many more years to progress from walker to brace canes and so on. But even tho he could not take me out he told me stores would sit an answer question for hours and give me advice. So i may not be the fisherman I could have been I still owe him big time for what i do know.

trigger7mm
05-27-2011, 05:57 PM
My Grandpa...Thanks Gramp, rest in peace!:love0025:

Dust1n
05-27-2011, 06:13 PM
my dad even though he wasnt much of one...taught me how to catch em,cook em,cast,dehook fish ect but no secrets unforunalty....then i started going behind my house by myself and then started to devolp fising even more.

GeoTrekr
05-27-2011, 07:18 PM
I fished for the first time in my life last year at the age of 25, thus everything I know and don't know about fishing is entirely my fault :thinking-006:

Gust
05-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Who cares??? It's not a real sport like hunting anyways!!! A monkey could be taught to fish. Throw a hook with bait on it and wait for fish to bite and reel them in. DUH!!! How hard can this fishing stuff be anyways?
Just Kidding.

My old man taught me how to fish. I still have a lot of learning to do though since what works in one geographical area on certain species will have nothing to do with different species in another area. Case in point: I have caught probably thousands of Walleye,Pike,Bass...even a Muskie. But the first rainbow trout I caught was in the community lake here in Okotoks 3 years ago. I have never fly fished. A friend of mine out here has never seen a Bass. I have never seen a Brown trout,Bull Trout,Cutthroat or even a Whitefish. But I will at some point. I just need to find the spots and learn the tactics.

Two words for you on the trout dilemma, "Archie Hogg". Your on the cusp of some awesomeness in the trout and whitefish department. I'll PM you a list of holes and techniques for stunning Browns, a stones skip from your front door. Some incredible holes are going to be gouged with the floods,,, though I hope some fish didn't go inland,, we got swamped at Millarville as the Sheep breached the shore and crossed the road just before the bridge.

Gust
05-27-2011, 09:07 PM
My Dad, and he's my primary fishing buddy (he's still grumbling right now about losing a fish on Wednesday, which is rare for him). He will never concede to me teaching him anything, which is fine,, just fine by me.

My first fish was a 14" Perch from Glenmore Reservoir,,, first Trout a 2 1/2 lb Bull (Dolly Varden in the old days) from the Sheep,,, but my most memorable fish was a 12 lb Pike, waded from shore, at Travers, on 6 lb test, on a black/white Len Thompson and no leader (dad was huffing that I'd lose the spoon) and on the first cast, the lure hit the water and seemed to be snagged,, so having the reel set to reel backwards (line out), I started to walk back to the shore but the handle was turning out faster than I was walking,, great feisty fight!! Was looking at the lure the other day, 33 years old and all scarred up. First salmon was a 15lb Chinook from the Argonaut wharf in Campbell River in 81,, an old fellow told me I'd catch nuthin fishin like that>>> 8lb test, red/white Len Thompson cast and reeled in like I was at MacGregor, crazy fight. I gave a guy from San Bernadino, California another red/white Len Thompson I had with me,, he had booked a guide for the afternoon but thought he'd mooch from the wharf that morning,, he caught a 22lb chinook with it (I have a picture of him and the fish somewhere).

Ahhhhh, the memories!!!!

TyreeUM
05-27-2011, 09:28 PM
my old man taught me how to fish...and he could out-fish your old man any day!!

bobalong
05-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Pretty much self taught when I first started almost 50 years ago. We lived at the lake for two months every year until I was 16 so I had lots of time to practice. Used to read lots of magazines, (US ones back then).Started tournament fishing in the late 80's, learned quite a bit there over the years and continued to watch videos and read. I still read a lot, and continue to learn a few things new every year. Reading and watching videos is fine, but there is still nothing like time on the water, that is where I really learn.

Gust
05-27-2011, 09:41 PM
my old man taught me how to fish...and he could out-fish your old man any day!!

My God is better than your God!! Nyah-nyah-nyah!!!!

George Carlin

alodar
05-27-2011, 09:44 PM
My father and my grandmother taught me

Dan the Saskbertan
05-27-2011, 10:05 PM

My old man taught me to fish and he did a good job; Ionce watched him shell out his last $10.00 for Panther Martins 2 days before pay day because I'd lost all my decent stream lures. We were poor because it was during the 80s in the height of the Alberta bust.

When dad got a better job and we could afford to hunt things became better. But in the end, fishing kept my hopes and dreams alive about the outdoors.

Without my fishing I would never have been a hunter.

Dan

gl2
05-27-2011, 10:47 PM
growing up in my house meant you fished!!! my dad was my teacher and i didn't know it then but the lessons i learned didn't just apply to fishing but life in general....it probably didn't hurt that he took me a couple times a week to fish for stuff like big rainbows, dollies, sturgeon, ect, ect. i have no better memories than of me and my old man out on the water.

ishootbambi
05-27-2011, 10:54 PM
i had an uncle who lit the fire when i was young. he gave me a few tips....but largely it was trial and error on water within riding distance of my pedal bike. it was a slow learngn curve...but i got it. when i hooked into my first 20 plus pound pike.......saaaweeeeeeetttt!!!!!

Jwood 456
05-27-2011, 11:55 PM
My Dad taught me, then I started heavilly reserching on the internet and magazines. I teach my Dad some new techniques and he teaches me other new techniques...lol. Besides that, my old man and I have learned much of the techniques from trial and error.

chubbdarter
05-27-2011, 11:59 PM
whats funny is how things come full circle...ya maybe we teach our kids to fish...but as parents we learn so much watching our kids go thru the process of learning to fish.
As i get older my skills have become pathetic, almost laughable. Im lucky, PART of my dad and his dad and his dad and so on with go with my children. That PART has a little to do with fishing....and a whole lot to do with life lessons. There will come a time when all we have is good memories.

Ive really enjoyed all the stories so far...thanks to all that posted